Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: likes and dislikes in the beta, how about you?

11 Jan 2009   #1
Day24

Win7 x64 NL
 
 
likes and dislikes in the beta, how about you?

I am wondering about what people's likes and dislikes are about win7 and/or this beta (as we have no clue what will change for the next version). That's the reason for this thread. I thought I would get this started with my own likes and dislikes.

I'm coming at this from having used Vista for 2 years, so I'm stating my likes and dislikes in comparison to that mostly.

Likes:
1) I like the new superbar, especially when it doesn't group the icons.
2) love that window sizes are remembered
3) absolutely in love with WMP12! Vast improvement; the look is much cleaner, no need to install codecs (at least, I haven't found a need so far)
4) I love the fact that I did not have to install a single driver. Everything works out of the box.
5) I love it that win7 throttles back my CPU to a lower speed if I'm not using it to its full potential. This saves me energy, and therefor money.
6) I love that they seem to have improved upon the file transfer problems between computers over a network. At least, they have for me... I'm in a network with another computer. It's running vista, but file transfers have always been terribly slow with vista. With win7, they are greatly improved. Can't wait to see how good they are when both computers are on win7.
7) I love the snap to function
8) I love the built in theme possibility, though I do hoipe they make it an open standard, so everyone can make themes. I doubt they will, but still. I also hope they'll release more themes.

My dislikes
1) I hate that explorer (not IE) opens on libraries. I also dislike the icon for explorer...
2) I hate that I can't organize the left pane in explorer the way I want it to be. I want favorites to be at the top, computer second.... I don't intend to use libraries, so I want that gone, but there's no way of doing that, which I know of.
3) I hate the amount of time it takes to shut down. This may just be me though.
4) I dislike that there's no back button in WMP... I inserted a disk to install a game, and WMP immediately went into some weird mode because on that disk there were also some mp3's. I couldn't press a back button to get back to my show...

After two days of using the OS, this is what I came up with. I am very curious as to what you guys and gals make of it.

Day.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jan 2009   #2
hethoofd

Windows 7 Build 7100 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit
 
 

I agree with you on most of your likes and dislikes, but I don't agree on dislikes #1 and #2. I do use libraries and I love the way Explorer opens with it (and the icon is fine for me). I also like the way the left pane is organised. However, I do agree with you that this should be adjustable in some way. It should also be possible to change the default folder with which Explorer opens.

Try sending some feedback on that, they might do something with it.

Overall, I am very pleased with the (in my opinion) improved Explorer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #3
Airbot

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I like that most of the programs I used with Vista have so far been working just fine in 7. Also, the System Restore has been improved and completes a lot faster than in Vista. Windows Update is way faster in completing it's search, at least for me. Just a few things I like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jan 2009   #4
garysgold

Vista Ult 64 bit Seven Ult RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Day24 View Post
Likes:
1) I like the new superbar, especially when it doesn't group the icons.
2) love that window sizes are remembered
3) absolutely in love with WMP12! Vast improvement; the look is much cleaner, no need to install codecs (at least, I haven't found a need so far)
4) I love the fact that I did not have to install a single driver. Everything works out of the box.
5) I love it that win7 throttles back my CPU to a lower speed if I'm not using it to its full potential. This saves me energy, and therefor money.
6) I love that they seem to have improved upon the file transfer problems between computers over a network. At least, they have for me... I'm in a network with another computer. It's running vista, but file transfers have always been terribly slow with vista. With win7, they are greatly improved. Can't wait to see how good they are when both computers are on win7.
7) I love the snap to function
8) I love the built in theme possibility, though I do hoipe they make it an open standard, so everyone can make themes. I doubt they will, but still. I also hope they'll release more themes.
I Agree.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Day24 View Post
My dislikes
1) I hate that explorer (not IE) opens on libraries. I also dislike the icon for explorer...
I Disagree

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Day24 View Post
3) I hate the amount of time it takes to shut down. This may just be me though.
Take a look at this tutorial. Shut Down -Speed Up[2]=Performance Maintenance

Gary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #5
Day24

Win7 x64 NL
 
 

To be honest, I haven't (yet) seen the use of libraries. That's mainly because I am cumpolsory about structuring my files.... I know where things are at any given moment.... But I do see why others might like it. I have, however, started to add things to the libraries, in an attempt to find out whether they might be good for me...

Airbot...I have to agree with you on windows update....I like the way that it gives more info!

Thanks Gary, I will definitely give that tutorial a look!
Also, I can remember that it shut down pretty quickly when I had just installed it....so I'm thinking that something I installed must have caused it to behave in this way....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #6
hethoofd

Windows 7 Build 7100 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Day24 View Post
To be honest, I haven't (yet) seen the use of libraries. That's mainly because I am cumpolsory about structuring my files.... I know where things are at any given moment.... But I do see why others might like it. I have, however, started to add things to the libraries, in an attempt to find out whether they might be good for me...

Airbot...I have to agree with you on windows update....I like the way that it gives more info!

Thanks Gary, I will definitely give that tutorial a look!
Also, I can remember that it shut down pretty quickly when I had just installed it....so I'm thinking that something I installed must have caused it to behave in this way....
Music Library should be great when media players start using it. No more rebuilding your library after switching to new software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #7
sevsman

Vista X64 ultimate/ 7 X64 Ultimate (7264)
 
 

Quote:
1) I hate that explorer (not IE) opens on libraries. I also dislike the icon for explorer...

With you on that one..

I aslo hate the removal of the good old quick launch that allows me to have all my QL icons running across the bottom of my taskbar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #8
hethoofd

Windows 7 Build 7100 32-bit, Windows Vista 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sevsman View Post
With you on that one..

I aslo hate the removal of the good old quick launch that allows me to have all my QL icons running across the bottom of my taskbar.
The new taskbar offers that exact functionality. Just pin an item to it and consider it a quick launch icon. What's the difference?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #9
sevsman

Vista X64 ultimate/ 7 X64 Ultimate (7264)
 
 

The icons that are pinned are bigger than a QL icon even when the icons are set to small. So when someone makes a theme with smaller ones or if the RC or RTM has this function returned i'll be a happy chappy once again
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2009   #10
Baatfam

Windows 7 Profesional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sevsman View Post
With you on that one..

I aslo hate the removal of the good old quick launch that allows me to have all my QL icons running across the bottom of my taskbar.
You can have your quick launch....just take a little fiddlin'

How to Enable or Disable Quick Launch in Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 likes and dislikes in the beta, how about you?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Severely unhappy PC dislikes installling Windows7
Morning Everyone, I am having an usually difficult time installing Windows on my upgraded PC. I replaced my motherboard, CPU and ram last night and spent hours pulling my hair out. I have built tons of systems over the years, and although the few I have done with RAID arrays can be a...
Installation & Setup
Only 1 computer dislikes my router
Hey guys. So over the past year at college I bought a router to use at the dorm: A Belkin router, model F7D6301. Upon coming home for the summer, I figured it was simply a matter of plugging in to the router at home (Netgear) and connecting. While my laptop took the change well, as I it's...
Network & Sharing
DVD that Win 7 likes?
I've been without DVD since I installed Win 7 in late October. The drive works fine in another computer running XP and ran fine on this one with XP and Vista. I was going to format and go back to XP but after trying out Ubuntu 9.04 from the disc it reactivated the old Ubuntu boot loader and Win 7...
Hardware & Devices
Compaq Pressario V6700's display dislikes win7
Hi all my laptop is a Compaq Pressario V6700 Laptop with the Nvidia nForce 610M - 7150M (i think) now ive tried win7's factory drivers, HP's drivers (7.15.11.7713 and 7.15.11.7432 Versions) and tried Nvidia's drivers which couldn't install wats so ever... The Problem - after having...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:03.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App