Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

09 Jan 2010   #1181
hdmi

8.1 x64
 
 

Wasn't Windows 7 supposed to be faster and easier to use? Then why are all the useful features of Windows XP still missing? And why do people have to search for a guru to learn how to almost hack stuff 'Mc Gyver style', in order to get something as simple as a QuickLaunch bar that has the Show Desktop shortcut right next to the Start button where it always belongs in the first place? I even start to wonder why the gurus can't be indexed instead of the files on my harddrive that I can usually find where I've put them myself, without the need to index them. Half of the new features that are claimed to make Windows 7 easier, are making it slower. And vice versa: making it faster can be difficult and results in people not finding the things that will make it easier for them, because those are the ones they have to keep disabled in order to make Windows go faster. Worse still, the things people like about XP because they are so easy, are NT — Not There. Last but not least, if I tweak my Windows XP SP3 to the same extent you have to tweak your Windows 7 to make it go faster than a clean XP, then my tweaked XP will still be fastest. It's easier to tweak XP than 7, even: people have learnt how to tweak XP over the years, but not 7 yet. So much for 'Windows 7 is faster especially if you have an older computer'.

As a whole, all the white background hurts my eyes on my 42 inch HDTV and icons look ugly, especially the ones that were actually promised to look nice (my good old and all worn Logitech MX518 optical mouse being the sole exception, as long as I don't left-click on it that is). Config Panel is JABOI — Just A Bunch Of Icons. Last but not least, unless I lock my taskbar, Windows 7 shuffles my shortcuts on my bars almost like it's Casino Royale and it also can't align the bar's title and the '»' button with the shortcut buttons properly when Small icons is checked. I can imagine hardly anyone has even noticed you can move a bar to the left hand side of pinned programs without unpinning first, all because it takes precious time and predisposition to become the Yawning Pixel Grabber that I already am.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Jan 2010   #1182
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hdmi View Post
Wasn't Windows 7 supposed to be faster and easier to use? Then why are all the useful features of Windows XP still missing? And why do people have to search for a guru to learn how to almost hack stuff 'Mc Gyver style', in order to get something as simple as a QuickLaunch bar that has the Show Desktop shortcut right next to the Start button where it always belongs in the first place? I even start to wonder why the gurus can't be indexed instead of the files on my harddrive that I can usually find where I've put them myself, without the need to index them. Half of the new features that are claimed to make Windows 7 easier, are making it slower. And vice versa: making it faster can be difficult and results in people not finding the things that will make it easier for them, because those are the ones they have to keep disabled in order to make Windows go faster. Worse still, the things people like about XP because they are so easy, are NT — Not There. Last but not least, if I tweak my Windows XP SP3 to the same extent you have to tweak your Windows 7 to make it go faster than a clean XP, then my tweaked XP will still be fastest. It's easier to tweak XP than 7, even: people have learnt how to tweak XP over the years, but not 7 yet. So much for 'Windows 7 is faster especially if you have an older computer'.

As a whole, all the white background hurts my eyes on my 42 inch HDTV and icons look ugly, especially the ones that were actually promised to look nice (my good old and all worn Logitech MX518 optical mouse being the sole exception, as long as I don't left-click on it that is). Config Panel is JABOI — Just A Bunch Of Icons. Last but not least, unless I lock my taskbar, Windows 7 shuffles my shortcuts on my bars almost like it's Casino Royale and it also can't align the bar's title and the '»' button with the shortcut buttons properly when Small icons is checked. I can imagine hardly anyone has even noticed you can move a bar to the left hand side of pinned programs without unpinning first, all because it takes precious time and predisposition to become the Yawning Pixel Grabber that I already am.
Nice rant!
Xp is only faster because you don't need as much RAM to use it. And aren't all the extra features that good?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #1183
hdmi

8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lil' Domii View Post
Nice rant!
Xp is only faster because you don't need as much RAM to use it. And aren't all the extra features that good?
Yes, of course they are. The OP asked me what I don't like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Jan 2010   #1184
Dom

Windows Seven Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hdmi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lil' Domii View Post
Nice rant!
Xp is only faster because you don't need as much RAM to use it. And aren't all the extra features that good?
Yes, of course they are. The OP asked me what I don't like.
Aahh I was finding fault
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #1185
starfox444

Windows 7 32 bit build 7600
 
 

If you pin a shortcut to the taskbar, then change the icon of that shortcut the pinned version will NEVER update. You have to unpin and repin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #1186
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by starfox444 View Post
If you pin a shortcut to the taskbar, then change the icon of that shortcut the pinned version will NEVER update. You have to unpin and repin.
Because, it uses a different shortcut.
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2010   #1187
hdmi

8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
I've got an Amiga 1200 in the attic
Amiga died, along with your avatar. The MSX in my cellar killed 'em, before it died as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2010   #1188
FuturDreamz

Windows 8 Pro (32-bit)
 
 

I don't like how if you need to type é or ™ on a us standard keyboard you either have to locate it in Character map or type in a number using the pad that not all laptops have. on the may you just type either alt+e to get the "`" then "e" again to get "é". if you wish to type "á" you just type "a" instead of a another "e".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2010   #1189
cbleman

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

hdmi - Very well said!
My rant:
The more I use Win 7, the more I run into things that frustrated me in Vista. The operating system is more stable than I remember, but a lot of the functionality I had/used in XP has been taken out. From the drift of things I have read in these threads, these functions/options/menus/utilities aren’t coming back. This thread is about what you don’t like, and the specifics of my previous statement have been addressed in this thread and others. A lot of things are small/minor. …Like the Up Arrow in Windows Explorer for example. I have been using bread crumbs for quite a while, and still miss it. Some (other) things impact my productivity heavily, and are a major grievance to me. Functions, and utilities I had in XP have been stripped out of Vista and Seven, and (like I said before) don’t look like they are coming back. I have heard Microsoft is slowly discontinuing support for XP. I believe Microsoft is making a big mistake doing that. A lot of people like XP, and are staying with it. It’s a comfortable, reliable work horse. Some things that were easy in XP have been made into a PIA, or are missing altogether in Vista/7. Don’t get me wrong… I really like a lot of the features in Win 7. It is (In my opinion) worth the horrible learning curve to get to know it. The graphics are better, the boot time quicker, and there are a bunch of new toys and added functionality XP/Vista did not have. For (Guessing here) 80 percent of the people who use it, Windows, 7 is going to be just wonderful for them. My Operating System however? I think not. Either Microsoft isn’t really listening, or (I believe) they just don’t care. Do I believe Microsoft should cater to 20 to 25 percent of their users? That’s a resounding YES! I have heard in these threads that not enough people actually use the functions/menus/utilities that were stripped, based on research. There is NO doubt in my mind that the numbers Microsoft has, are extremely accurate. What about the thousands \ millions who do/did use those Functions/menus/utilities however? Is it so hard to leave them in? They were there already! I don’t want anything new added… I want things that were stripped out, put back! The missing right click options in Slideshow for example. I sure did enjoy being able to send a photo to an editor from slide show, editing it, then continuing with slideshow. I also used to be able to select a photo and start slideshow from there. It seems to start at the beginning every time (Or am I missing something.)
Does all the new “stuff” in Win 7 work the way I want it to, or the way I feel it should? NO. Some of my questions still have not been answered. For instance; there is a new MP3 tag editor in Win 7 (Love it!), but I cannot access one of the fields I really need to edit. I need access to the Artist field. Album Artist and Artist are not the same. Some of the hardware I use relies on the Artist field, and sometimes Artist, and Album Artist differ. Is there a way to do this? I’m not the only one who has asked that, and so far, I cannot find an answer to that question. (If someone knows the answer, and can point me to it I would appreciate it.)
I understand also, that Microsoft is still working on a number of post release “fixes”. I'm waiting to see if any of my old functionality is restored. By the way; user registry hacks, work a rounds, and third party software are not repairs.

I do intend to keep 1 Win 7 machine running to keep abreast of development, and (Believe it or not) some activities are actually faster and easier in 7. My new Vista Laptop is probably going back to XP Pro. I have heard that the manufacturer does not support XP drivers for some of the newer hardware, and it will “Void my warranty”. If the stupid thing has much trouble, I’ll put 7 on it, and research manufacturers who do support XP. I’m not asking to return to the Stone Age. I just want my functionality back! Sometimes newer IS better. I don’t even mind relearning a different way to do things all that much (Although I do still miss that arrow!). When you cannot even accomplish the same tasks anymore, using the same (but different) software, SOMETHINGS WRONG!
The examples I have used are only a couple of the frustrations I have. C’mon Microsoft, How about a little give?

Discussion anyone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #1190
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
hdmi - Very well said!
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
Does all the new “stuff” in Win 7 work the way I want it to, or the way I feel it should? NO. Some of my questions still have not been answered. For instance; there is a new MP3 tag editor in Win 7 (Love it!), but I cannot access one of the fields I really need to edit. I need access to the Artist field. Album Artist and Artist are not the same. Some of the hardware I use relies on the Artist field, and sometimes Artist, and Album Artist differ. Is there a way to do this? I’m not the only one who has asked that, and so far, I cannot find an answer to that question. (If someone knows the answer, and can point me to it I would appreciate it.)
I understand also, that Microsoft is still working on a number of post release “fixes”. I'm waiting to see if any of my old functionality is restored. By the way; user registry hacks, work a rounds, and third party software are not repairs.


Please see the following attachment:
What don't you like about Windows 7?-seven_mp3_tag.jpg
As can be seen clearly, the "Album Artist" and "Contributing Artist" field are indeed different. It's the "Contributing Artist" field that you are looking for to represent the Artist. I know this, becaue a utility that I created back in the day of XP (MP3 Media Properties Explorer), correctly writes the ID3v2 Artist tag. In Vista and Seven, this is displayed as "Contributing Artist".

Surely it could have taken you less time to figure that out than it did to rant about it?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
I do intend to keep 1 Win 7 machine running to keep abreast of development, and (Believe it or not) some activities are actually faster and easier in 7. My new Vista Laptop is probably going back to XP Pro. I have heard that the manufacturer does not support XP drivers for some of the newer hardware, and it will “Void my warranty”. If the stupid thing has much trouble, I’ll put 7 on it, and research manufacturers who do support XP. I’m not asking to return to the Stone Age. I just want my functionality back! Sometimes newer IS better. I don’t even mind relearning a different way to do things all that much (Although I do still miss that arrow!). When you cannot even accomplish the same tasks anymore, using the same (but different) software, SOMETHINGS WRONG!
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
The examples I have used are only a couple of the frustrations I have. C’mon Microsoft, How about a little give?

Discussion anyone?


I am sure you will discover that seven is by far the superior operating system. You just need to give yourself a little more time to figure that out. I haven't personally used XP in 3 years (not counting the computers at work), and I stopped using Vista about 3 days after I tried Windows 7 BETA Build 7000.

But as for you not being able to accomplish the same tasks anymore, I do not believe that this is a problem with the new OS. Yes, Seven is different, and you have set yourself up to fail but not adapting to the changes. C'mon, give yourself a little credit here, and you'll eventually wonder how you ever got anything done on XP without 3rd-party utilities...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App