Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

15 Mar 2010   #1471
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Good post, fseal. Yes, you indeed have to work at being a true admin in Seven.
+1

Well said.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Mar 2010   #1472
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Permissions as in ACL's - a good book would be the Windows 7 Resource Kit. Its as big as a dictionary (1600 or so pages), and you'll find what you need in there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2010   #1473
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

I appreciate the tip. Looks like I have to spring for a copy. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Mar 2010   #1474
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

@fseal

I agree completely. I see so many here that want to take ownership of everything. "My Computer", "I’m the Boss" etc. Heck I feel I know a lot about Windows but I have never wanted to take ownership of every file on the machine. I know how to do it and if there is a need today or in the future I am glad I can do it. However in my day to day use of the computer there is NO NEED!! Don't think I don't do anything with my system. I am a hard core gamer, a network admin, programmer, scripter, worked for small and huge companies, and have many systems of my own. In fact I have 4 IE8 windows open right now with about 20 tabs in each window. I am researching, learning, and working on home projects. I still don't see the need to take ownership of any of the files. Again Thanks, it needed to be said again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Mar 2010   #1475
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Frostmourne View Post
Permissions as in ACL's - a good book would be the Windows 7 Resource Kit. Its as big as a dictionary (1600 or so pages), and you'll find what you need in there.
Awesome Book!! I own it and recommend it highly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #1476
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
@fseal

I agree completely. I see so many here that want to take ownership of everything. "My Computer", "Iím the Boss" etc. Heck I feel I know a lot about Windows but I have never wanted to take ownership of every file on the machine. I know how to do it and if there is a need today or in the future I am glad I can do it. However in my day to day use of the computer there is NO NEED!! Don't think I don't do anything with my system. I am a hard core gamer, a network admin, programmer, scripter, worked for small and huge companies, and have many systems of my own. In fact I have 4 IE8 windows open right now with about 20 tabs in each window. I am researching, learning, and working on home projects. I still don't see the need to take ownership of any of the files. Again Thanks, it needed to be said again.
You beat me, normally only 10 to 15 tabs

Very good post, to the point. Well said!

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #1477
madtownidiot

 

Unfortunately, I'm not a trained systems administrator, just a guy who's been building and tweaking computers as a hobby since the mid 80s. I agree that the clueless masses should not be messing around with protected system files, but I figure if you're knowledgeable enough to enable the built in administrator account, you should be have the freedom to ruin your system in any way you choose
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #1478
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not a trained systems administrator...
Then maybe you should not be messing with advance stuff like modifying the permissions of system directories/files?

Quote:
...but I figure if you're knowledgeable enough to enable the built in administrator account...
How does that make a user "knowledgeable?" The instructions on doing so are pasted all over the web, it doesn't take a knowledgeable person to figure it out.

Quote:
...you should be have the freedom to ruin your system in any way you choose
And you are more then able to. But Microsoft has to be smart when setting up defaults so you cannot "accidentally" ruin your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #1479
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not a trained systems administrator, just a guy who's been building and tweaking computers as a hobby since the mid 80s. I agree that the clueless masses should not be messing around with protected system files, but I figure if you're knowledgeable enough to enable the built in administrator account, you should be have the freedom to ruin your system in any way you choose
There is certainly merit in what you said.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2010   #1480
Konceptz804

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
I absolutely cant stand that there isn't anything negative to say yet!!

pretty much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App