Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

28 Jul 2009   #141
huggons

Windows 7
 
 

I dont like the fact that Windows 7 takes much longer to boot than Windows XP. This has been the case for any computer that I have installed it on (clean install).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jul 2009   #142
datter

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (RTM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huggons View Post
I dont like the fact that Windows 7 takes much longer to boot than Windows XP. This has been the case for any computer that I have installed it on (clean install).
That's odd, Win7 easily opens twice as fast as XP on my system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #143
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huggons View Post
I dont like the fact that Windows 7 takes much longer to boot than Windows XP. This has been the case for any computer that I have installed it on (clean install).
this is strange. especially when you say it happens to any computer you have tried.

i'm pretty sure 99% of the members in here would agree that 7 boots a lot quicker than xp.

have you looked at this tutorial? while you won't want to do all the things it suggests, maybe a few tweaks will help to speed up your boot time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jul 2009   #144
garbanzo

7600 x86
 
 

wow, lots of complaints about explorer. i don't like it either, that's why i opt for a 3rd party solution


Attached Thumbnails
What don't you like about Windows 7?-2h72yw2.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #145
huggons

Windows 7
 
 

I am talking about a clean install of XP vs a clean install of Windows 7. I am not douting that you would be able to "tweak" Windows 7 to boot faster, however I am talking about a standard installation of each OS. Are you all saying that XP is slower to boot under these circumstances?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #146
datter

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (RTM)
 
 

Absolutely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #147
huggons

Windows 7
 
 

Example Dell 8400
Latest BIOS (A09)
Clean install, followed by all available Windows updates
2.5 GB Ram
P4 3GHZ CPU
250 GB HDD 32MB cache 7200 RPM


XP Cold Boot – to see desktop = 25 seconds
Windows 7 Cold Boot – to see desktop = 29 seconds
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #148
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by datter View Post
Absolutely.
Agreed.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #149
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by huggons View Post
Example Dell 8400
Latest BIOS (A09)
Clean install, followed by all available Windows updates
2.5 GB Ram
P4 3GHZ CPU
250 GB HDD 32MB cache 7200 RPM


XP Cold Boot to see desktop = 25 seconds
Windows 7 Cold Boot to see desktop = 29 seconds
when you say 'to see desktop', do you mean 'when you can actually use your desktop and start running programs'?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #150
huggons

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
when you say 'to see desktop', do you mean 'when you can actually use your desktop and start running programs'?

I mean when you first see / get site of the desktop. Both OS would then take another few seconds to open an app or program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App