Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

06 May 2010   #1631
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pezzonovante View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
The thing about windows 7 that really bothers me is it's overall inability to allow the user to change things about the core operating system. There are many many hidden things that even advanced users cannot open and change. How can one change the boot screen to something cooler than the windows logo? How can I choose what data is loaded into memory by Superfetch? How do I optimize Internet Explorer the way I do FireFox? How do I make a process like a guitar amplifier emulator always have real-time priority every time it is opened? How do I make Real-time work better?

I don't think it is possible to do these things. I just wish that I could get under the hood and try some stuff. I don't care if I'm constantly reinstalling. I do that anyway with Linux, it is the process of learning, ie... okay I shouldn't use a deprecated thing in the Kernel because it might not be compatible with everything that I want to use that depends on it... now I know! Yeah, I have to spend the next 12 hours going through the kernel again, and can't have everything I think I want, but at least I was able to try it.

Why can't Windows have a real community of developers who can tell you how to go about doing something you want to do with your computer? I have sent dozens of emails, and what to I get? ....NOTHING! The people who are "trained" to do the support know less than I do.

Thanks for providing a place to complain.

HD
You don't learn by tweaking. You learn by reading books. If you want to understand how Windows works, read this book: Windows® Internals: Including Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista, Fifth Edition (PRO-Developer)
+1 I own this book and it is good. Added some REP.

Here are 3 more:

Amazon.com: Windows 7 Inside Out (9780735626652): Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, Craig Stinson: Books
Amazon.com: Windows 7 Resource Kit (9780735627000): Mitch Tulloch, Tony Northrup, Jerry Honeycutt: Books
and a good basic book
Amazon.com: Mastering Microsoft Windows 7 Administration (9780470559840): William Panek, Tylor Wentworth: Books


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 May 2010   #1632
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rhammstein View Post

...... If you sit back and think about it, it's pretty damn amazing what Xp/Vista/7 can do, period.

Peace
+1 Yes it is!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #1633
techues

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
I absolutely cant stand that there isn't anything negative to say yet!!
Lord have mercy!!!! If Gawd loved a liar he would squeeze you to death!!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 May 2010   #1634
w7101

Wds 7 32.bit Ultimate
 
 

Compare to what ...?
Just love it ....
Best OS ever from M$ ....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #1635
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CarlTR6 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
The thing about windows 7 that really bothers me is it's overall inability to allow the user to change things about the core operating system. There are many many hidden things that even advanced users cannot open and change.
This is by design for security. XP was pretty open and it was a security nightmare. You need to remember than Win 7 is designed for the average user and the corporate user, depending on the version. It is deliberately designed to make it difficult to hack. That is the goal. It is not open source as is Linux. MS does not want the core system changed.

That said, an advanced user user CAN do a lot more than you think. However, as you get into the system, you may well find that changing something has unintended consequences where you did not expect it. If you really want to did deeply, do get a couple of the excellent books on Win 7.

There is a thread on changing the Boot Screen; it can be done; but it is complex. The Logon screen can be changed rather easily. There is a thread on this also.

Log On Screen - Change

Log On Screen - Change or Remove Text Branding

Change Boot Logo/Screen?

Quote:
I don't think it is possible to do these things. I just wish that I could get under the hood and try some stuff. I don't care if I'm constantly reinstalling. I do that anyway with Linux, it is the process of learning, ie... okay I shouldn't use a deprecated thing in the Kernel because it might not be compatible with everything that I want to use that depends on it... now I know! Yeah, I have to spend the next 12 hours going through the kernel again, and can't have everything I think I want, but at least I was able to try it.

Why can't Windows have a real community of developers who can tell you how to go about doing something you want to do with your computer? I have sent dozens of emails, and what to I get? ....NOTHING! The people who are "trained" to do the support know less than I do.

Thanks for providing a place to complain.

HD
Win 7 does have a community of developers - paid by MS. And what you have is what they developed. Win 7 is doing exactly what it was designed to do. True, it was definitely not designed to make it easy to alter the core. That is the security aspect. That makes it difficult for an outsider to hack your system.

WOW! thanks for that!!!! maybe I can get real-time audio going!!
You are very welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 May 2010   #1636
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.1 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Set Program Priority

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
How do I make a process like a guitar amplifier emulator always have real-time priority every time it is opened?
HD
You will have to make a batch file.

I found this last year. It is about Google Chrome, but it should be possible to modify it to use with any program (or at least provide a starting point for experimentation).

WARNING: I haven't tried this, so I can't confirm if it works or if it is safe to use.
Remember to make backups before you start!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Right-click your desktop and create a text file called, "Chrome High Priority.bat"
(Make sure you have your hidden file extensions turned off, or the batch file won't work.)
2. Right click the batch file, select "Edit".

3. Type in the following characters, substituting your profile directory where indicated by "********"
start /High /separate C:\"Documents and Settings"\********\"Local Settings"\"Application Data"\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
This will start Chrome in separate memory and with high priority (2 steps higher than current)

The Priority levels for your computer Highest to Lowest are:
  • REALTIME
  • HIGH
  • ABOVENORMAL
  • NORMAL
  • BELOWNORMAL
  • LOW
Using REALTIME runs the program without a shell (as fast as your keyboard and mouse). If the application crashes in REALTIME, you will have to reboot the entire computer (like Win98 used to do). But, it is the fastest and if it works without crashing, Chrome will be like lightning.
I can use REALTIME without any problems and it is very, very fast.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Usually a few hours of Bing/Google/Yahoo research will turn up something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #1637
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by HellionDarklord View Post
How do I make a process like a guitar amplifier emulator always have real-time priority every time it is opened?
HD
You will have to make a batch file.

I found this last year. It is about Google Chrome, but it should be possible to modify it to use with any program (or at least provide a starting point for experimentation).


WARNING: I haven't tried this, so I can't confirm if it works or if it is safe to use.
Remember to make backups before you start!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Right-click your desktop and create a text file called, "Chrome High Priority.bat"
(Make sure you have your hidden file extensions turned off, or the batch file won't work.)
2. Right click the batch file, select "Edit".

3. Type in the following characters, substituting your profile directory where indicated by "********"
start /High /separate C:\"Documents and Settings"\********\"Local Settings"\"Application Data"\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
This will start Chrome in separate memory and with high priority (2 steps higher than current)

The Priority levels for your computer Highest to Lowest are:
  • REALTIME
  • HIGH
  • ABOVENORMAL
  • NORMAL
  • BELOWNORMAL
  • LOW
Using REALTIME runs the program without a shell (as fast as your keyboard and mouse). If the application crashes in REALTIME, you will have to reboot the entire computer (like Win98 used to do). But, it is the fastest and if it works without crashing, Chrome will be like lightning.
I can use REALTIME without any problems and it is very, very fast.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Usually a few hours of Bing/Google/Yahoo research will turn up something.
I did a quick test, this does do what is stated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #1638
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.1 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Thanks WindowsStar

Quote:
I did a quick test, this does do what is stated.
Thanks for checking that out.

I was going to use it on XP, to give my media players a higher priority.

I clicked your Rep button.
Perhaps a more experienced/senior member could write a generic tutorial about it (Starting A Program With A Different Priority).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #1639
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote:
I did a quick test, this does do what is stated.
Thanks for checking that out.

I was going to use it on XP to give my media players a higher priority.

I clicked your Rep button.
--- Thanks for the REP.

I hope that my post was not misleading. I mean it works on Windows 7. I did not test it on Windows XP...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 May 2010   #1640
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.1 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
No Problem

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Quote:
I did a quick test, this does do what is stated.
Thanks for checking that out.

I was going to use it on XP to give my media players a higher priority.

I clicked your Rep button.
--- Thanks for the REP.

I hope that my post was not misleading. I mean it works on Windows 7. I did not test it on Windows XP...
It would have to be slightly modified to run on XP. I just changed my original post after your reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App