Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

28 Jun 2010   #1731
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JerryNJ View Post
Why did MS change how functions that were XP look in W7, or bury all useful functions one more click down the stack, or not work with MSHome networks running XP? for starters.
Networks will work with XP machine. I have an XP machine on my home network. You have to use work groups. Here is a tutorial.

File Sharing - Between XP and W7 (and vice versa)

I will agree that Win 7 made working with machines wilth other os's needlessly complicated. That is my only gripe about Win7

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
It needs a built in Outlook Express. I tires of playing with that live mail thing. Other than that it's GREAT.
Outlook Express is dead. It was not secure at all. I suggest you purchase Outlook. It has a similar feel to Outlook Express. I don't care for Windows Live Mail either.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jun 2010   #1732
jp2code

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

I have issues with Windows Explorer under Windows 7 from THIS thread:

First, I have Windows Explorer's View customized with these settings:
  • Under "Organize > Layout", I have the details and navigation panes selected so I can quickly drill down to the folder I need.
  • Under "Folder Options", I have both Navigation pane options selected (Show all folders, and Automatically expand to current folder).
With that said, here are my issues:
  1. Let a folder have the sub folders subA, subB, and subC. I want to drill into the folders in subA, so I position the tree control so that subA is at the top. As soon as I select subA, though, Windows 7 relocates this folder to the bottom of my tree view. Why does Windows 7 likes to position my selected tree item at the bottom? Can I turn that off?
  2. Dialog Boxes:
    If I click (for example) the Manage Attachments link below, the dialog box opens to the last used drive. I scroll the tree view control over to where I want to select my files from, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button, the focus snaps back to the folder the dialog box started with. I can scroll to my folder again, and the annoyance does not repeat, but it will happen the next time I open a dialog box to select something in a different folder.
  3. One final complaint: The address bar no longer displays the "true" path, but rather a "logical" (?) path.
    Instead of
    Code:
    C:\Users\jp2code\Documents
    I now have
    Code:
    * Libraries * Documents * My Documents
    I can get the address bar to display the "true" path by clicking the folder icon in the address bar ...but if I do that too fast, Windows Explorer creates a shortcut to that folder in that folder for me. What's that for?
Does anyone know how to address these issues?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #1733
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
  1. One final complaint: The address bar no longer displays the "true" path, but rather a "logical" (?) path.
    Instead of
    Code:
    C:\Users\jp2code\Documents
    I now have
    Code:
    * Libraries * Documents * My Documents
    I can get the address bar to display the "true" path by clicking the folder icon in the address bar ...but if I do that too fast, Windows Explorer creates a shortcut to that folder in that folder for me. What's that for?
Does anyone know how to address these issues?
Well you are accessing the "My Documents" though a library which is a logical abstraction of the under lying file system. It makes sense for the path to be displayed in logical fashion as well. You don't need to click the icon, you can click anywhere in the address bar and get the "true" path. As for creating a shotcut that only happens when you click and drag.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2010   #1734
jp2code

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Well you are accessing the "My Documents" though a library which is a logical abstraction of the under lying file system. It makes sense for the path to be displayed in logical fashion as well. You don't need to click the icon, you can click anywhere in the address bar and get the "true" path.
I'm just listing it as one of the things that annoys me about Windows 7, and asking if there is a setting that anyone knows of to display the path with the backslashes by default instead of using logical arrows. As a software developer, I can not tell my code how to parse these little logical arrows. I can, however, give it a string representation using backslashes, and my compilers will understand what I have typed in.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
As for creating a shotcut that only happens when you click and drag.
Your answer is incorrect. Shortcut creation does not require dragging. Try it (just click the folder icon in the address bar), and you will see. It appears Microsoft (or Windows 7) wants me to double-click the folder icon to display the logical representation of the folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #1735
logicearth

Windows 10 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I'm just listing it as one of the things that annoys me about Windows 7, and asking if there is a setting that anyone knows of to display the path with the backslashes by default instead of using logical arrows. As a software developer, I can not tell my code how to parse these little logical arrows. I can, however, give it a string representation using backslashes, and my compilers will understand what I have typed in.
You don't put in arrows or the like, the logical is display only. Trying to use that information in a none visual matter will get you no where. The logical representation is for human consumption not software.

Quote:
Your answer is incorrect. Shortcut creation does not require dragging. Try it (just click the folder icon in the address bar), and you will see. It appears Microsoft (or Windows 7) wants me to double-click the folder icon to display the logical representation of the folder.
I did try it. I clicked on the icon. even doubled clicked but it never created a shortcut until I dragged just a little with the mouse. Letting go of the mouse button while on the address bar after dragging of course put the shortcut into the current folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #1736
Kari

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote:
Your answer is incorrect. Shortcut creation does not require dragging. Try it (just click the folder icon in the address bar), and you will see. It appears Microsoft (or Windows 7) wants me to double-click the folder icon to display the logical representation of the folder.
I did try it. I clicked on the icon. even doubled clicked but it never created a shortcut until I dragged just a little with the mouse. Letting go of the mouse button while on the address bar after dragging of course put the shortcut into the current folder.
+1. I tested this, too. You have to drag the icon to create a shortcut.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #1737
jp2code

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
+1. I tested this, too. You have to drag the icon to create a shortcut.
My machine won't behave this way, so I'm lead to believe this is a setting. If someone can tell me how to disable that setting, that would resolve 1 of my 3 issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2010   #1738
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

This might help to understand how it works:

Windows Explorer Address Bar - Vista Forums

or

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

or you can try the following registry edit, however I read it does not work if Aero is on:

1.Start the registry editor (regedit.exe).
2.Navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState subkey.
3.Double-click the "FullPathAddress" value or (create the DWORD-type value if it doesn't exist).
4.Set the value to 1 to enable it or 0 to disable it.
5.Click OK and close the registry editor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2010   #1739
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.2 MATE, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
That annoys me too!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I have issues with Windows Explorer under Windows 7 from THIS thread:

First, I have Windows Explorer's View customized with these settings:
  • Under "Organize > Layout", I have the details and navigation panes selected so I can quickly drill down to the folder I need.
  • Under "Folder Options", I have both Navigation pane options selected (Show all folders, and Automatically expand to current folder).
With that said, here are my issues:
  1. Let a folder have the sub folders subA, subB, and subC. I want to drill into the folders in subA, so I position the tree control so that subA is at the top. As soon as I select subA, though, Windows 7 relocates this folder to the bottom of my tree view. Why does Windows 7 likes to position my selected tree item at the bottom? Can I turn that off?
  2. Dialog Boxes:
    If I click (for example) the Manage Attachments link below, the dialog box opens to the last used drive. I scroll the tree view control over to where I want to select my files from, but as soon as I let go of the mouse button, the focus snaps back to the folder the dialog box started with. I can scroll to my folder again, and the annoyance does not repeat, but it will happen the next time I open a dialog box to select something in a different folder.
I have found that Windows Explorer (in Windows 7) takes a long time to finish setting itself up.

I have to wait for a few seconds, after the Dialogue box has apparently finished loading, for it to be ready for use.

On my PC, the scrollbar "twitches", a few seconds after the Dialogue box has apparently finished loading.
Once that happens, it is safe to scroll the Navigation Tree.


Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix this annoyance.
I just assumed, that my PC wasn't powerful enough, to instantly load Windows Explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2010   #1740
jp2code

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
This might help to understand how it works:

Windows Explorer Address Bar - Vista Forums
Thanks! I went straight from XP to 7, skipping the whole Vista experience. Not surprising that I missed some of the tricks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:22.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App