Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

05 Oct 2009   #511
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TOF View Post
You got it and thanks for the info. I'll be certain to change my partitions when I do the clean install later this month.
Just keep in mind that after installing the OS and enabling the other two drives again, you won't be able to access them right away.

Windows won't recognize the user permissions on those drives and display them as S......................

What you need to do is open the explorer, right click on a partition that you can't access, go to properties and then security.

Go to advanced and take ownership with your chosen username.
(there is a tutorial for it in our tut. section)

After it finishes deploying it down the tree, click ok until you're back in the security dialog.

Then click edit, then click add, and in the box type your username, and click OK.
Give your username "full permissions" and click ok again.
Wait until the rights are propagated and close.

Do this for every partition you want to be able to access fully.

greetz


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Oct 2009   #512
mutant

windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Windows 7 is great in general. But one thing I don't like is the lack of windows mail. In addition, the Quick Lauch toolbar could have been made easier to install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #513
voirin

W7 Ultimate 64-bit (build 7601)
 
 

Things I don't like (note that I am an XP user):

- Windows Explorer tree pane is honestly a pain to use. The issues are 1) it is hard coded to 'simple view'. Under XP (where I usually have simple view disabled), simple view is a pleasure to use as there is a clear demarcation between parent and child as child is clearly indented past the parent. 2) win7 has minimal indentation of child objects, causing visual association problems when you have a deep and complex tree structure.

- cannot disable thumbnail preview of apps in taskbar

- cannot disable groupings of common apps in taskbar

- Start menu feels utterly claustrophobic and does not open up like XP when navigating to a specific application.

- does not come with default nntp application

- performance is slower than XP. e.g. application launch. CPU usage is higher. Random lag in application response.

Had to go back to using XP. I like Win7 for its centralisation of file associations, cleaner update process etc. But MS, please don't start getting rid of useful features that XP had...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Oct 2009   #514
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by voirin View Post
- cannot disable thumbnail preview of apps in taskbar
Yes you can

Quote:
- cannot disable groupings of common apps in taskbar
Yes you can

Quote:
- Start menu feels utterly claustrophobic and does not open up like XP when navigating to a specific application.
Have you actually tried configuring the startmenu?

Quote:
- does not come with default nntp application
There is a link in the startmenu to install Live Mail, it supports NNTP newsreader.


Quote:
- performance is slower than XP. e.g. application launch. CPU usage is higher. Random lag in application response.
No comment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #515
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by voirin View Post
...win7 has minimal indentation of child objects, causing visual association problems when you have a deep and complex tree structure...
I replaced my Open Folder icon with a green arrow to compensate for this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #516
voirin

W7 Ultimate 64-bit (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by voirin View Post
- cannot disable thumbnail preview of apps in taskbar
Yes you can
I fail to see how to disable a popup from showing when hovering the mouse over an icon in the taskbar - may it be a visual thumbnail representation, or a text description (as when desktop composition is disabled). I don't want any popup/thumbnail preview on hover.

Quote:
Quote:
- cannot disable groupings of common apps in taskbar
Yes you can
"Taskbar Properties > Taskbar > Taskbar buttons: Never combine"... is not what I mean. It still groups all similar programs together, however in a spread out fashion across the taskbar. This is not what I want. I prefer XP behaviour.

Quote:
Quote:
- Start menu feels utterly claustrophobic and does not open up like XP when navigating to a specific application.
Have you actually tried configuring the startmenu?
Yes, but folder expansion is contained within the startmenu dialog box. XP goes beyond the dialog box container and expands the tree across the screen (if startmenu structure is deep enough). I looked in the start menu options and cannot see a switch for this as you suggested. 'Open submenus when I pause on them with the mouse pointer' is not what I'm after.

Quote:
Quote:
- does not come with default nntp application
There is a link in the startmenu to install Live Mail, it supports NNTP newsreader.
Yes I know about Live Mail, but I was talking about a 'default' application
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #517
voirin

W7 Ultimate 64-bit (build 7601)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by voirin View Post
...win7 has minimal indentation of child objects, causing visual association problems when you have a deep and complex tree structure...
I replaced my Open Folder icon with a green arrow to compensate for this.
Yep, have been using that to make things easier... but still
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #518
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote:
I fail to see how to disable a popup from showing when hovering the mouse over an icon in the taskbar
In taskbar properties, disable Aero Peek


Quote:
"Taskbar Properties > Taskbar > Taskbar buttons: Never combine"... is not what I mean. It still groups all similar programs together, however in a spread out fashion across the taskbar.
This is a contradiction in terms, they are either grouped or they are spread out on the taskbar.


Quote:
This is not what I want. I prefer XP behaviour.
XP does exactly the same. It groups open windows of same program after a certain number,(default is 5, i believe).
When you uncheck it, it spreads them over the taskbar.

So explain in what way XP does it differently?

Quote:
Yes, but folder expansion is contained within the startmenu dialog box. XP goes beyond the dialog box container and expands the tree across the screen.
Ok, agreed, that's different, and liking it or not is very personal, so I won't argue about it.
Personally I hated the startmenu spread out over the whole screen at other people's computer.
Never had to deal with it on my own, because my startmenu is highly organized.

But is this really such a big deal to go back to XP with all it's own quirks?
If you set W7 up efficiently, you hardly ever have to go to the startmenu anyway.


Quote:
Yes I know about Live Mail, but I was talking about a 'default' application
Get used to seeing less and less default apps with every windows build.
MS is involved in lawsuit after lawsuit for their incorporated apps.

But again, what's the big deal? You install drivers on your OS, right? You install apps I presume?
What's the problem with installing one of the dozens of free mail programs out there?
Is the absence of a mail program really a reason to go back to XP?

For XP you have to install a ton of drivers that W7 supports right out of the box.
Win7 has snipping tool, powershell, Mediacenter, Virtual XP and so on, and a much more efficient Explorer with libraries, favorites and a multitude of thumbnails.

If you are happier with the old OS, that's your choice, but what's the point posting that fact on a Windows 7 forum?
I am a member of a submarine simulator forum.
I don't see people there joining, to post that they rather play Crysis.

Maybe should ditch XP and move back to Windows 98?
It had a lot of things XP doesn't.

Greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #519
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post
...If you set W7 up efficiently, you hardly ever have to go to the startmenu anyway......
That snuck up on me. I rarely use the Start Menu any more. When I do, I rarely have to click the All Programs selection.

I just noticed that.

And I hate the new taskbar and start menu. Or, so I thought.

LMBAO at my own self.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2009   #520
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post
...If you set W7 up efficiently, you hardly ever have to go to the startmenu anyway......
That snuck up on me. I rarely use the Start Menu any more. When I do, I rarely have to click the All Programs selection.

I just noticed that.

And I hate the new taskbar and start menu. Or, so I thought.

LMBAO at my own self.
I grew to love the taskbar.
Once you tweak it to your liking it is super efficient.

People tend to forget how many tweaking they do on XP before it's to their liking.
I don't know anyone that uses XP in it's default settings.

I don't like W7's start menu, but like I said, I almost don't use it anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App