Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

07 Oct 2009   #551
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carl Forster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Sorry I have lost the plot with this forum...
Reason. if you make a comment against WIN7 you get blasted and to if you DONT like it stiff luck revert to XP or older....
Ok will try to provide a civil answer ...

Quote:
I use XP, Vista both 32bit and 64bit and have done so for 6-3 years.

I OBJECT to MS removing the "CLASSIC" features...
Users were able to enable them in VISTA (which I do) when ever I install the O/S. NOW I cant, and If I MS want to give us another changed / crippled O/S then it is their LOSS.
"classic" features are phased out based on user feedback, this is both manual and automatic feedback and indicate to Microsoft when an function or working method is used or not. It is normal for a feature that has a major modification to be retained in it's original form for one cycle of operating system replacement only, unless the facts show that the old system is still being used by a significant number of users.

Quote:
It would seem that around 60% of users want this option, CAN MS afford to loose 60% or even 30% of it clients, and DONT give me the answer times and O/S move on learn it.
No company would proceed with an action that is likely to lose them this sort of user base, if their information indicated this - I have to believe that Microsoft are happy that the figures you quote are not the case.

Quote:
I and my company and Clients (115) cannot afford spend money on upgrade or the COST of the new WIN7 also training ???.
The world is in a recession and SMB's/People do NOT have the money GET REAL
It is a fact of life that things do change and although it can be more difficult for some change has to be accommodated,

Microsoft does not insist that anyone change to a new OS until they are ready to do so, and in fact have repeatedly extended support for XP until this is not technically viable any further.

XP is now obsolete, fact, although Microsoft will still provide security based support until 2014, so those who have to retain it's use may still do so.

The 3-4 life-cycle of Microsoft OS's, that was missed with Vista, is based on the depreciation life cycle followed by business for hardware, which is normal time for any OS upgrade - this cycle has been stretched far beyond normal already with the universal rejection of Vista, and so is reaching a stage where economic and logistical reasons for hardware upgrade is a pressing matter

The financial status of the world markets is something that took the majority of people by surprise and will be a major concern to Microsoft in the roll out of Windows 7, and there will be some companies that will hold off the upgrade cycle on new hardware.

My personal experience with the user change to Windows 7 is that the learning curve for Vista users is negligible. That for XP users is greater but is still easily achivable.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Oct 2009   #552
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi all
Easy guys
1) It IS a W7 Forum so if you don't like it then a lot of people will of course respond. - Imagine you log on to a Ferrari Owners forum and say they are rubbish cars.

2) Unfortunate but true some people always miss some features from a previous release when an old trusted application is updated. Often an older feature HAS to be removed in order to provide for newer stuff which (usually) is better for the users. We all have problems with these types of issues -- like I really miss having a separate equalizer on the Realtek HD sound driver that XP had instead of the "canned" presets.

3) If you really dislike W7 or can't work with it you can always stay with other OS'es -- there's still a LOAD of users out there STILL using W2000. (W2K).

4) Businesses in general DO upgrade every few years - unlike home users the cost of machines can be offset against tax etc. A LOT of companies have relatively new machines which probably originally came with VISTA but they re-installed XP. If the monitor is an LCD the the computer won't be THAT old and almost certainly came pre-installed with VISTA until the IT dept installed the corporate version of XP on it.

5) Vista was avoided in the early days because a) performance issues, and b) a lot of legacy apps wouldn't work with it.

6) XP mode is now available for companies to move to W7 at their own pace whilst maintaining compatability with legacy apps.

A final but often overlooked issue.

A Lot of companies didn't go to a 64 bit OS initially - not because of the cost of upgrading the computers (they got newer machines anyway) but basically because some of their major applications like ERP (SAP) etc would only work with a windows XP front end.

Changing something like SAP to work with W7 X-64 is a FAR FAR bigger cost to businesses than upgrading a corporate network.

Even a Minor SAP upgrade requires vast amounts of very highly paid contractors and consultancy companies - these guys can get paid even in these days as much as 800 / 1000 EUR /GBP / 1500 USD A DAY.

Most users I've seen actually don't have any problem switching to the newer W7 interface. What they DO miss however is when running in XP Mode the performance is still sluggish - so MS really need to address that problem (but that's another issue of course).

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #553
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Yeah. Like this:

Quote:
Dear decicion makers by Ford,

I don't like these new cars you are making. I don't need better and bigger engine, I'm completely happy with 55 hp giving the top speed of 60mph like I have in my old Ford. I don't need the safety features you put on your cars nowadays, like airbags and safety belts and ABS brakes. I never drive so fast I would need extra safety.

Also the design is not right. I like to have my car more like a square I'm used to have, I don't like these new soft and round forms. When it is time to take the car to the first service, could you please make my new car to look and feel like the old one?

I would like to know where can I find you new models for free? I mean I am not willing to pay the price you are asking. I paid less than half of that of my old car, why should I now pay more about features and design I don't like. Could someone tell me where to find a new Ford for free? Even without keys, I know somebody who has a spare universal key for Ford.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Oct 2009   #554
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Carl Forster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Sorry I have lost the plot with this forum...
Reason. if you make a comment against WIN7 you get blasted and to if you DONT like it stiff luck revert to XP or older....
The plot here couldn't be more clear and transparent. This is a Windows 7 forum!
Primarily dedicated to assist people who have problems with the OS, their hardware, their network, or what ever.

We (the core members), spend probably an average of 20 hrs or more a week on mostly helping people, and partly having fun conversation.

In a non religious way, this is our church, our clubhouse.
You are welcome to join, to ask questions, even to give constructive criticism. Hopefully you join to help out.
Sometimes we spend days on one guys particular problem, and most of the time we get it solved.
Most of the time the user made a few mistakes and the OS was not to blame.

Then, along comes a new "member" and the only reason for joining is to b*tch about how awful W7 is, and how much he HATES it, and how STUPID MS is, etc.......

Imagine you walking into the "Hells Angels" clubhouse and start b*tching about how Harley Davidson actually s*cks, and you will be reverting to your old Yamaha.

I think you would find the treatment you get here a tad less unpleasant.

On the other hand, if you really like XP or any other OS better, which you are entitled to,
why not use that feeling positively and join an XP forum?
And try to do every thing in your power to keep that OS alive as long as possible.

Bottom line:
It's not the fact that you have criticism on W7, or that you don't like it.

It's the fact most of the critisism is unfounded nitpicking, and mostly caused by unfamiliarity with the OS.
For 90% of people's gripes we have solutions and workarounds,
but people don't even bother to check our extensive tutorial and problem base, before they dump their frustration on us.

Try to imagine you are not the first one to b*tch, but probably the 25th today.
Can you then imagine us getting fed up with it?

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #555
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi SqonkSC

Well said

and really that should be the end of it - I like your bit about Harleys BTW

Great Bike - but again for another forum.


Cheers
jimbo


Attached Thumbnails
What don't you like about Windows 7?-harley-36-.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #556
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi SquonkSC
Well said
and really that should be the end of it - I like your bit about Harleys BTW
Great Bike - but again for another forum.

Cheers
jimbo
Thanks Jimbo,


One of the treatments you don't get for criticizing W7.

What don't you like about Windows 7?-wild-hogs.jpg

.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #557
Antman

 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #558
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi SqonkSC
Well said
and really that should be the end of it - I like your bit about Harleys BTW
Great Bike - but again for another forum.
Looks a bit heavy and clumsy, for 'trials' riding....


My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Oct 2009   #559
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi there
I see we are turning this into a Biker thread

A Harley is really a "Touring Bike" -- wasn't intended for really heavy duty use like trialling etc - although can be "modded".

Just sit on one of these machines and listen to the "purr" of the engine -- magnificent.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Oct 2009   #560
cbleman

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

Hokay.... Yes, you tend to get blasted if you say to much negative; but the whole reason for this forum is to bitch. Generaly if you have a spicific bitch, you tend to get help, and the blasters are just unhepfull clutter. Ignore them. Go back to XP. Right.... The only realy unwelcome bitching, is general comments like MS sucks. or Win 7 sucks. I'm not sure how anyone can help you there.

Off topic for a second: I was wrong earlier . The up arrow in explorer is not needed. While I did not like bread crumbs early on, I had a chance to do some major editing; and putting it to hard use, has changed my mind. I guess I had to open it first. Bread Crumbs requires only one click to go up 2 or more Directories. It turned out to be a real time saver.

Gripe: While editing, temp files kept poping into the window. It's annoying. I know windows sometimes uses my hard drive as a playground in stead of using RAM (Wich I have plenty of.), but this should be invisable to the user. (I was editing old MP3 files; updating the artist, album, and genre for multiple files, using properties.).

Another thing that has disturbed me, and still does, is changing the names of functions or programs for no apperant reason (To Me.). When I type into the search bar for help, nothing comes up, because I don't even know what it's called anymore. (Windows Media Server for example.) This problem will not be fixed. For those in the same boat, I have found out that your favorite search engine, and the 'Net can probably help faster than querying the forum. I hope this helps someone, and when the next major revision comes out this rather large annoyance will be considered.

Yes I have gripes. Overall however, I realy like Win 7 and think it's a solid platform.

HEY! 64k page frames? WTFO. hehehehe
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App