Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

12 Oct 2009   #581
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Scott, you make a fair point. We'll be patient with you "Old-Gen" users - at least I will be (at 72 years of age - LOL). I can imagine that it is not easy to be faced with a more complex OS for the first time. XP was an appliance and having skipped Vista does not make things easier. BTW: I never had any problems with Vista that I could not solve. And I was in it since day 1 (Febr. 1, 07). And although I think that Win7 looks like a great operating system, I will take my time to fully migrate my 4 systems to it. In the meantime I run it as a test system completely seperated from my production systems. That way one can get used to it at a more placid pace.
XP was an appliance?

I think from Win98 to XP was as big a leap for novice users as the step from XP to Vista or Win7.

There was nothing like NTFS security in Win98.

I remember how many people were outraged their hardware wasn't supported in XP,
and how long they had to wait before manufacturers adopted the new driver model.
(if they did at all)

I don't know anyone who used a virgin XP,
meaning people installed dozens of tweaks and mods to make life with XP easier.

XP before SP1 was so unsafe, that before you downloaded the first security patches,
your pc would already be infected with numerous trojans and viruses.
This would lead to people getting into all kinds of trouble,
they couldn't solve themselves.

Nobody seems to remember the huge amount of BSOD in the pre SP XP.
The simple plug-in of USB peripherals would be enough to crash the entire system.

I think there were billions of dollars more earned by maintaining,
and troubleshooting XP, than MS earned with selling it.

XP has mostly been good for the IT business.

W7 isn't perfect, but it's a damn lot closer to perfection than XP is even after 3 SP's.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Oct 2009   #582
DarkDavil

7 x64/ Back-Track 4
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Windows 7 has a relatively easy learning curve compared to some Linux distros Ive had to set up...
No way man! I think Linux-based systems are super easy.. I just LOVE the "terminal"/"CMD" prompt functions of downloading/getting apps. Its so easy...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #583
cbleman

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
CableMan - I understand what you are saying. You have said the same thing over and over and over again for almost five months.

I sincerely trust that you have learned how to use some of the new features and methodologies in Windows 7.

For you and others in the same boat - Tutorials - Windows 7 Forums
Sigh.. I guess I have. The prior post was for a little understanding. Some of the remarks that don't help bother me. I find myself repeating; and looking back, long winded repeating sometimes. Sorry. I guess I'm just a little passionate about some things. I realy didn't notice until you mentioned something.
I HAVE noticed that you continualy help. Not only this thread but many others. (some closed and dead.) Thanks

As for learning the new System, Yes; am learning (and actualy using) the new/different features. Learn or burn. This forum, and other peoples problems help a lot. Once I find out what something is now called, the answers to my questions come easy. I need to know what to look for in a tutorial or knowledge base. A lot of things I can eventualy figure out myself, and am actualy getting around quite well. The only problem I'm having right now is streaming my very large music library to my Sound Bridge using Windows. The Sound Bridge dosn't see all the files. I used to use Firefly Media Server, but it dosn't seem to want to install in Win 7. That's a topic for another thread or forum however.

Some learn and grow enough to offer actual help to others. Perhaps one day I'll get there.

Love the whine thread. that's actualy something I'm good at!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Oct 2009   #584
musiclover7

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Scott,

I was one of those who avidly disliked Vista when it first came out, and went to the (at times insane) trouble of loading XP onto Brand new laptops for which drivers were extremely difficult to find, just to get back to what I deemed a much better system. Then, sometime in mid 2008, I installed Vista on one of my home computers, and eventually grew to tollerate, nay, even like it..

Yes there seemed to be a lot of bloat, and the permissions and obscure windows pissed me off at first. But I eventually got the hang of it, and came to understand it.

My sense, is that coming from XP to Windows 7 should be easier than coming from XP to Vista, however not as easy as coming from Vista to 7 of course Some things have been changed for sure, but there is also a lot of good that has been added. Some of the menus that one had to dig a little to get to in Vista, are more easily accessible in 7. Such as display settings, resolution changes, etc.. There will be some learning, but rather than wishing it were the same as the old, try to approach it from an attitude of enjoying the fresh and the new, and see where it gets you.

So far, I have loaded 7 on two machines and for 2 users that previously ran XP, and noticed what seemed to be significant improvement in the speed of standard tasks. I have said it before, 7 just seems like a snapier OS than either of it's predecessors. Yes, they had some basic questions about accessing wireless networks, how to network, etc.. but when I explained the benefits of some of the new features, they were both thrilled. You can also run multiple xp machines inside your 7 machine without too much lag.

My work laptop is an xp laptop that the company provides and dictates. I do not relish coming back to it. I miss the quick search, the powershell, the nifty navigation, the libraries, and the always connected feel to 7. Homegroups, which at first seemed completely stupid, have even become a very nice feature as I have learned how to leverage the concept of libraries for sharing etc..

There are some things I do not like, and I have shared them in this post. This here thread is all about the dislike, however, it should be expected that others who have come a bit further with the OS will chime in and try to alleviate the negativity where genuine options exist to countermand the cause of such..hah..

Anyways.. I write all this only to say that I originally stood where you do, and have come complete full circle in a relatively short period of time. I can see the reason for much of the changes. In 7, you generally have way more control, then you ever did in XP once you learn how to invoke it..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #585
Antman

 

Yes, Cableman. There are some aspects of 7 that I do not like either. Especially not being able to arrange files in the manner of my choosing within a folder.

I adjusted to using the desktop as a workspace - allowing me to arrange the files. And it is almost a perfect workaround. But I have to use a second monitor since I can't scroll the desktop.

As I wrote this, I realized that I should do my online photo print work in an XP VM.

My point is, I understand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #586
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbleman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
CableMan - I understand what you are saying. You have said the same thing over and over and over again for almost five months.

I sincerely trust that you have learned how to use some of the new features and methodologies in Windows 7.

For you and others in the same boat - Tutorials - Windows 7 Forums
Sigh.. I guess I have. The prior post was for a little understanding. Some of the remarks that don't help bother me. I find myself repeating; and looking back, long winded repeating sometimes. Sorry. I guess I'm just a little passionate about some things. I realy didn't notice until you mentioned something.
I HAVE noticed that you continualy help. Not only this thread but many others. (some closed and dead.) Thanks

As for learning the new System, Yes; am learning (and actualy using) the new/different features. Learn or burn. This forum, and other peoples problems help a lot. Once I find out what something is now called, the answers to my questions come easy. I need to know what to look for in a tutorial or knowledge base. A lot of things I can eventualy figure out myself, and am actualy getting around quite well. The only problem I'm having right now is streaming my very large music library to my Sound Bridge using Windows. The Sound Bridge dosn't see all the files. I used to use Firefly Media Server, but it dosn't seem to want to install in Win 7. That's a topic for another thread or forum however.

Some learn and grow enough to offer actual help to others. Perhaps one day I'll get there.

Love the whine thread. that's actualy something I'm good at!
Nice self-reflection. +rep for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #587
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by musiclover7 View Post
Scott,

I was one of those who avidly disliked Vista when it first came out, and went to the (at times insane) trouble of loading XP onto Brand new laptops for which drivers were extremely difficult to find, just to get back to what I deemed a much better system. Then, sometime in mid 2008, I installed Vista on one of my home computers, and eventually grew to tollerate, nay, even like it..

Yes there seemed to be a lot of bloat, and the permissions and obscure windows pissed me off at first. But I eventually got the hang of it, and came to understand it.

My sense, is that coming from XP to Windows 7 should be easier than coming from XP to Vista, however not as easy as coming from Vista to 7 of course Some things have been changed for sure, but there is also a lot of good that has been added. Some of the menus that one had to dig a little to get to in Vista, are more easily accessible in 7. Such as display settings, resolution changes, etc.. There will be some learning, but rather than wishing it were the same as the old, try to approach it from an attitude of enjoying the fresh and the new, and see where it gets you.

So far, I have loaded 7 on two machines and for 2 users that previously ran XP, and noticed what seemed to be significant improvement in the speed of standard tasks. I have said it before, 7 just seems like a snapier OS than either of it's predecessors. Yes, they had some basic questions about accessing wireless networks, how to network, etc.. but when I explained the benefits of some of the new features, they were both thrilled. You can also run multiple xp machines inside your 7 machine without too much lag.

My work laptop is an xp laptop that the company provides and dictates. I do not relish coming back to it. I miss the quick search, the powershell, the nifty navigation, the libraries, and the always connected feel to 7. Homegroups, which at first seemed completely stupid, have even become a very nice feature as I have learned how to leverage the concept of libraries for sharing etc..

There are some things I do not like, and I have shared them in this post. This here thread is all about the dislike, however, it should be expected that others who have come a bit further with the OS will chime in and try to alleviate the negativity where genuine options exist to countermand the cause of such..hah..

Anyways.. I write all this only to say that I originally stood where you do, and have come complete full circle in a relatively short period of time. I can see the reason for much of the changes. In 7, you generally have way more control, then you ever did in XP once you learn how to invoke it..
Well balanced post. +rep for you too. I feel like Santa today.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #588
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Scott, you make a fair point. We'll be patient with you "Old-Gen" users - at least I will be (at 72 years of age - LOL). I can imagine that it is not easy to be faced with a more complex OS for the first time. XP was an appliance and having skipped Vista does not make things easier. BTW: I never had any problems with Vista that I could not solve. And I was in it since day 1 (Febr. 1, 07). And although I think that Win7 looks like a great operating system, I will take my time to fully migrate my 4 systems to it. In the meantime I run it as a test system completely seperated from my production systems. That way one can get used to it at a more placid pace.
XP was an appliance?

I think from Win98 to XP was as big a leap for novice users as the step from XP to Vista or Win7.

There was nothing like NTFS security in Win98.

I remember how many people were outraged their hardware wasn't supported in XP,
and how long they had to wait before manufacturers adopted the new driver model.
(if they did at all)

I don't know anyone who used a virgin XP,
meaning people installed dozens of tweaks and mods to make life with XP easier.

XP before SP1 was so unsafe, that before you downloaded the first security patches,
your pc would already be infected with numerous trojans and viruses.
This would lead to people getting into all kinds of trouble,
they couldn't solve themselves.

Nobody seems to remember the huge amount of BSOD in the pre SP XP.
The simple plug-in of USB peripherals would be enough to crash the entire system.

I think there were billions of dollars more earned by maintaining,
and troubleshooting XP, than MS earned with selling it.

XP has mostly been good for the IT business.

W7 isn't perfect, but it's a damn lot closer to perfection than XP is even after 3 SP's.
I'm one of the few that used a "virgin XP", as you so eloquently put it, so yes, I do remember the instabilities of the initial release, and the pretty steep learning curve moving from Windows ME to Windows XP. In general, XP was newer really any good, even now after 3 service packs.

Vista was the one OS release from Microsoft where I could state the they finally got it right. I also used a "virgin Vista", and quite frankly my blood pressure cannot deal with people claiming that Vista is a dog, or is unstable, or doesn't work. Ad Ininitum... I never could understand what the hell people where complaining about.

Yes, Vista had it's problems. Just Like XP did. Just like Windows 2000 did. Does anyone remember the disaster that was the initial release of Windows 98? I can almost give a written guarantee that when Windows 7 hits the mainstream on October 22, we'll not have to wait very long to start fielding posts from people complaing about how bad or unusable Windows 7 is. But then again, I think posts of that nature have already started.

Those who are now complaining about the learning curve moving from XP to Windows 7 are likely also those who incorrectly believed the bad rep of Vista and stuck it out with XP. Oh, well, I guess not everyone can get what they want, and we'll have to just do the best we can to help them, right?

OVerall, there is not a lot to dislike about Windows 7, and it will indeed take time to get used to the new UI for those who skipped Vista.

I just have one general question: If people want the ability in Windows 7 to turn on the "classic look" of perhaps XP or Windows 2000, then why the hell upgrade to Windows 7 in the first place? Isn't the point of using a new OS to learn new ways and improve efficiency?

Oops. Thats two questions. My Bad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #589
Antman

 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #590
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDavil View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Windows 7 has a relatively easy learning curve compared to some Linux distros Ive had to set up...
No way man! I think Linux-based systems are super easy.. I just LOVE the "terminal"/"CMD" prompt functions of downloading/getting apps. Its so easy...

You ever setup an Arch box from scratch????
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App