Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

12 Oct 2009   #591
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkDavil View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
Windows 7 has a relatively easy learning curve compared to some Linux distros Ive had to set up...
No way man! I think Linux-based systems are super easy.. I just LOVE the "terminal"/"CMD" prompt functions of downloading/getting apps. Its so easy...

You ever setup an Arch box from scratch????
No, but I did scratch myself with toy from a Happy Meal.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Oct 2009   #592
cbleman

XP Media Edition / Vista /Win 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote:
I'm one of the few that used a "virgin XP", as you so eloquently put it, so yes, I do remember the instabilities of the initial release, and the pretty steep learning curve moving from Windows ME to Windows XP. In general, XP was newer really any good, even now after 3 service packs.

Vista was the one OS release from Microsoft where I could state the they finally got it right. I also used a "virgin Vista", and quite frankly my blood pressure cannot deal with people claiming that Vista is a dog, or is unstable, or doesn't work. Ad Ininitum... I never could understand what the hell people where complaining about.

Yes, Vista had it's problems. Just Like XP did. Just like Windows 2000 did. Does anyone remember the disaster that was the initial release of Windows 98? I can almost give a written guarantee that when Windows 7 hits the mainstream on October 22, we'll not have to wait very long to start fielding posts from people complaing about how bad or unusable Windows 7 is. But then again, I think posts of that nature have already started.

Those who are now complaining about the learning curve moving from XP to Windows 7 are likely also those who incorrectly believed the bad rep of Vista and stuck it out with XP. Oh, well, I guess not everyone can get what they want, and we'll have to just do the best we can to help them, right?

OVerall, there is not a lot to dislike about Windows 7, and it will indeed take time to get used to the new UI for those who skipped Vista.

I just have one general question: If people want the ability in Windows 7 to turn on the "classic look" of perhaps XP or Windows 2000, then why the hell upgrade to Windows 7 in the first place? Isn't the point of using a new OS to learn new ways and improve efficiency?

Oops. Thats two questions. My Bad.
Repeating again. There are many who NEVER had a problem with Vista. My experice was different. Finding other people were experiencing the exact problems I had, was little comfort.
Even as I was going through misery, others were telling me they had no problems with Vista or BSODs I am glad you are one of the many fortunate that never had a problem.

At first, I was upset about the learning curve for 7. Then I understood why, and figured out, the only person who could solve it is me. The only thing I ask for now, is a little patience while I ask "Stupid" questions, or profess my ignorance in other ways.

Change is hard.
All change isn't for the better. We need to be able to do what we once did, Even if the way we do it is different. Getting used to "different" is harder for some than others.

We all get used to working a certain way, using familiar tools. When they are taken away, or changed themselves, it's human nature to covet the familiar and want them back. Very few want to go backward. When we go through changes, having a few familiar things makes the change easier. When that fails; we accept and move on.

ME? Good lord! no wonder. Vistas a dream compared to that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #593
the facilitator

win7 32bit, vista prof 32bit, xp home, ubuntu
 
 
win 7 bad points

Why do MS insist on giving us "New" OS why dont they just make the old one better

What is "better" in the OS world
  1. Make them smaller, Smaller means faster, less bugs, less back doors
  2. Chuck out the junk, the 'bloatware' that was just coded to improve someones pay-packet (believe me it is there)
  3. Make it neater
  4. Im sick of having to have a anti virus package attached to my computer, SORT IT OUT
Regards Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Oct 2009   #594
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

[quote=cbleman;306150]
Quote:
Repeating again.
What's the point of a post starting with, "repeating again"?

You can only be repped for it once.

j/k
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #595
SkrivyD

Windows 7/10.6
 
 

I'm noticing a bit more complexity with networking, sharing printers...etc. Once you figure it all out though its not that big of a deal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #596
s0c9

Win7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

To get this back OT:

MY biggest dislike w/ W7 [and this may have existed in other versions, but maybe I never noticed] is when selecting a directory path [or drive] in explorer in the tree view [left pane] it automagically places the selected item at the BOTTOM of the tree pane.. grrrr... incredibly annoying and I've not found a way to make it any different..
I want to see the tree expanded BELOW the selection point and not have to scroll and click again to expand what's below it.....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #597
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by s0c9 View Post
To get this back OT:

MY biggest dislike w/ W7 [and this may have existed in other versions, but maybe I never noticed] is when selecting a directory path [or drive] in explorer in the tree view [left pane] it automagically places the selected item at the BOTTOM of the tree pane.. grrrr... incredibly annoying and I've not found a way to make it any different..
I want to see the tree expanded BELOW the selection point and not have to scroll and click again to expand what's below it.....
On the bar chose organize -> folder and search options

Uncheck "automatically unfold ......"

That solves it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #598
Lelouchvib

Windows Seven 7600
 
 

Lack of extras and features that could be implemented. Other than that I love Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #599
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by s0c9 View Post
To get this back OT:

MY biggest dislike w/ W7 [and this may have existed in other versions, but maybe I never noticed] is when selecting a directory path [or drive] in explorer in the tree view [left pane] it automagically places the selected item at the BOTTOM of the tree pane.. grrrr... incredibly annoying and I've not found a way to make it any different..
I want to see the tree expanded BELOW the selection point and not have to scroll and click again to expand what's below it.....
On the bar chose organize -> folder and search options

Uncheck "automatically unfold ......"

That solves it
Chuckle. Yes, that does solve "it", but does not address the "issue".

I understand what soc9 is describing. I sincerely hope that this nuisance is addressed in a Service Pack.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #600
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SquonkSC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by s0c9 View Post
To get this back OT:

MY biggest dislike w/ W7 [and this may have existed in other versions, but maybe I never noticed] is when selecting a directory path [or drive] in explorer in the tree view [left pane] it automagically places the selected item at the BOTTOM of the tree pane.. grrrr... incredibly annoying and I've not found a way to make it any different..
I want to see the tree expanded BELOW the selection point and not have to scroll and click again to expand what's below it.....
On the bar chose organize -> folder and search options

Uncheck "automatically unfold ......"

That solves it
Chuckle. Yes, that does solve "it", but does not address the "issue".

I understand what soc9 is describing. I sincerely hope that this nuisance is addressed in a Service Pack.
??? joke??

It stops the automatic placement of the selected item at the BOTTOM of the tree pane. hence solves it.

What more is needed for it to be addressed? A stamp?

j/k
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App