Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What don't you like about Windows 7?

26 Jul 2009   #61
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

Yes, it leaves the Test Mode watermark bottom right. I don't mind that but if it bothers anyone, I believe it can be removed with DSEO's watermark remover or another watermark remover. Personally, I don't like to mess with the watermarks though as I think it might lead to future problems and I don't even notice the Test Mode watermark anymore. (I'm running with two unsigned, but signed by me, drivers, so Test Mode is enabled on my system.)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jul 2009   #62
galo71

 
cpu fan at full speed when returning from sleep

When returning from sleep, my cpu fan goes full speed. It takes a reboot to give back speed control to the settings in bios (Abit AMD MB). No big deal, though, for I set the computer to sleep after 2 hours, just in case I forget do turn it off when I go out. But It'd be good to have a fix for this problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #63
dan7777

windows 7 RTM
 
 

sleep mode on rtm dont work for me thats my only gripe oh! and GTA 4 i cant get to work either apart that its god dam awsome
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jul 2009   #64
tannim

win7 home premium 64bit
 
 

Task/Super bar... I don't like the task bar popping up the group of windows when I move my mouse over it. Such as for an IM program with many message windows open. If I accidently move my mouse over it, a window popus up blocking my clicking on the active window under it.
Tool Tip popups don't go away sometimes for a long time, other times, they just keep popping back up again and again until you click a different program and back on the bar.
Cannot make the Shift right click menu the new default right click menu and have the old right click menu the new shift right click menu.
Cannot disable the taskbar popup that shows the open windows for each program with an X to close them.

Safely Remove Hardware - Does not offer a "Close Open Files" option to allow you to remove a drive that SOMETHING is supposedly accessing but nothing you are running.

Don't like this stuff in Windows Explorer-
Cannot turn off Remember Folder Views to force all folders to be like the last one no matter what.
Cannot disable Compressed files as folders view without registry hacking.
Related to Remember Folder Views - Folders with MP3 have different details displayed and have to be changed one by one and they do not seem to be remembered.
Seems to be impossible to display file size in bytes instead of KB and MB
Defaults to that stupid Hide Known Extensions
Does not focus well
Shows folders at the bottom of lists instead of at the top

With Calculator - History should show more than the last operation
scientific calculator should show Hex along with everything else

Network -
No modem lights to show when data is sent or recieved
Cannot Auto Serve Ad-hoc networks
Ad-Hoc networks will not save security code
Will not automatically connect to ad-hoc networks
Clicking on a network does not give an option to open properties where you can change the network's details.

Start Menu - No second chance Shutdown. You press it and YOU ARE SHUTTING DOWN whether you accidently clicked it or not. XP gave a nice second window to verify.
I feel the old Classic start menu works better for me, but I don't open it that often anyway.

UAC - is a joke that I shut off. It can't remember selections for each program or action, so it's of no value.

Direct X and a few dll libraries Compatability - It does not come with msvcr71.dll which is required for paintchat and a few other things.
Is incompatable with some Direct x commands and games/programs that use them will not work. Survival Crisis Z for example
I'm sure there are more, but this is enough for now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #65
mickey megabyte

ultimate 64 sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tannim View Post
Task/Super bar... I don't like the task bar popping up the group of windows when I move my mouse over it. Such as for an IM program with many message windows open. If I accidently move my mouse over it, a window popus up blocking my clicking on the active window under it.
Tool Tip popups don't go away sometimes for a long time, other times, they just keep popping back up again and again until you click a different program and back on the bar.
Cannot make the Shift right click menu the new default right click menu and have the old right click menu the new shift right click menu.
Cannot disable the taskbar popup that shows the open windows for each program with an X to close them.

Safely Remove Hardware - Does not offer a "Close Open Files" option to allow you to remove a drive that SOMETHING is supposedly accessing but nothing you are running.

Don't like this stuff in Windows Explorer-
Cannot turn off Remember Folder Views to force all folders to be like the last one no matter what.
Cannot disable Compressed files as folders view without registry hacking.
Related to Remember Folder Views - Folders with MP3 have different details displayed and have to be changed one by one and they do not seem to be remembered.
Seems to be impossible to display file size in bytes instead of KB and MB
Defaults to that stupid Hide Known Extensions
Does not focus well
Shows folders at the bottom of lists instead of at the top

With Calculator - History should show more than the last operation
scientific calculator should show Hex along with everything else

Network -
No modem lights to show when data is sent or recieved
Cannot Auto Serve Ad-hoc networks
Ad-Hoc networks will not save security code
Will not automatically connect to ad-hoc networks
Clicking on a network does not give an option to open properties where you can change the network's details.

Start Menu - No second chance Shutdown. You press it and YOU ARE SHUTTING DOWN whether you accidently clicked it or not. XP gave a nice second window to verify.
I feel the old Classic start menu works better for me, but I don't open it that often anyway.

UAC - is a joke that I shut off. It can't remember selections for each program or action, so it's of no value.

Direct X and a few dll libraries Compatability - It does not come with msvcr71.dll which is required for paintchat and a few other things.
Is incompatable with some Direct x commands and games/programs that use them will not work. Survival Crisis Z for example
I'm sure there are more, but this is enough for now.
apart from that, how are you finding your new OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #66
tannim

win7 home premium 64bit
 
 

It's... better than Vista : )

Sadly, I've been in Operating System Limbo for a while
I needed a new one. Linux is a joke for most things, XP is too old to buy, I'm not going to waste money on vista beyond the one that came with my laptop(which I installed Linux on after giving Vista a few months).

I installed Windows 7 beta on the laptop and it runs better overall. video drivers are not effective for Windos 7 but an old vista driver works better in some things and not in others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #67
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mickey megabyte View Post
apart from that, how are you finding your new OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #68
Dazeon

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

My main issue with Windows 7 is the severe lack of 'fit and finish' present in the OS.

From a performance, stability, usability perspective, the OS is near perfect.

Sadly from an aesthetic perspective, I feel it is extremely lacking.

I appreciate that it isn't the most important area of an OS but as an official beta tester for Vista, 7, and a member of the Windows Early Feedback team, it is something I have been passionate about for some time.

I feel a new/replacement (complete, as in totally complete, as in every single one) icon set is long overdue, and I honestly did believe we would get one for RTM.

The current hybrid set we have is IMHO just plain disgusting. There are the icons from 95 and 98 that look dire and extremely old, icons from XP that don't scale correctly and look (I'll get shot for this ) like something from Fisher Price! Icons from Vista that look OK, but with the general shift in overall UI colour, the yellow just doesn't fit. Adding insult to injury they teased us with some lovely blue ones and never followed up on them. Just look at the icons in the Start Menu, or User folder, especially the Start Menu being one of the first things you see... They don't match, and there's nothing uniform about them. The whole UI is utterly inconsistent.

Again, but perhaps not as important, is the lack of any new screensavers, and any new visualizations for Media Player (and themes) and Media Center. They even removed some screensavers and we haven't had any new visualisations since XP, possibly even ME!

As we all know the supposed Aero Diamond was nothing more than a mistaken rumour, however I think an XP/classic theme would have instilled greater confidence with corporate users and those who wish to cling on to XP.
Plus an alternative theme for those that dislike Aero, perhaps even allow unsigned themes as a default, although this isn't so important for me.

OK, so had they done that, which I really don't think is a lot to ask after the Ultimate Extras debacle, the cost of the OS, and the amount of time they've had (Vista included), then I would be 100% pro Windows 7.

Don't get me wrong, I love the OS, I really do, it has come on leaps and bounds and MS are to be admired for its performance and stability over Vista, I just think, as with all Microsoft beta programs, they truly do wonderful things then fall at the last hurdle.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #69
dmb219

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
sleep mode on rtm dont work for me thats my only gripe oh! and GTA 4 i cant get to work either apart that its god dam awsome
Try going to device manager-network adapter-properties-power mgt and uncheck allow this device to wake the computer. That worked for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jul 2009   #70
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

I just thought of something (albeit minor) that I really don't like and that is the green download bar with its synchronized flashing that has nothing to do with the speed of the download or its progress. This is a hold over from Vista that I was hoping would get changed, but alas no. I would much prefer just a plain green progress bar with no fancy flashing light effects, but I don't want to give up the rest of the aero UI just for this one minor annoyance. If anyone knows how to change this, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 What don't you like about Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:19.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App