Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is it about XP that people just canít live without

28 Jul 2009   #21
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
That application that you spent thousands of dollars to develop for in house use all of the sudden doesnt work anymore. The way they see it, if its not absolutely, positively necessary to the operation of their business, LEAVE IT ALONE!
but you see if these in house devs had good programing practices (such as not use undocumented api's and such) there would not be a problem, and if there was then there is the compatibility mode that should solve it...

but of course when you are in charge of 1000's of computers, "most" (thats why they have IT for...) have to work (and at the cheapest possible price (of course balancing out quality too)...)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mats View Post
Can't agree more.

For a CIO it's a simple question: What does it cost and can I save that money somehow?

With Vista MS mad a huge error in marketing by focusing on Aero, Aero and Aero. The CIO saw a new Gui wich means huge costs for education and no return of investment.
they were catering to the masses with shiny things...

Quote:
IF MS instead had focused on Bitlocker (no need for expensive third party cryptos), The enhanced powersaving (reduced electricity bill), The capability to run all machines on a single image (reduced costs for IS staff) and so on alot more companies would have used vista.
powersaving is one of the most important things (especially now)
the single image idea would mean pretty much automated restores/reinstalls in case of hardware failure which greatly streamlines the process of IT...

Quote:
Even today i meet customers and other IT-pros that doesn't know about Vistas capabilities in theese areas since all they heard was aero......
im actually surprised that my college has vista enterprise computers and they are pretty much locked down
they are pretty much able to control everything with this enhanced security and when it happens that a computer breaks down well...
well it does take time for a new computer to get to the college but once it does its operational in less than 2 hours (including all updates, with all the necessary software )

Quote:
I hope thar MS learns this leasson for Seven but so far it has been Aero,Aero and Aero again and a little about faster boot times but almost nothing about direct access. Even better powersave. The delta repliction for offline files ans so on. All of theese are prodction improvements for the users and if you can show that your users can save 1 hour a week using Vista/Seven instead of XP, any reasonable CIO will launch a case studie to see that his benefits will be and most likley issue an uppgrade.
im begining to think that the only time they talk about enterprise features (in win7) is when they are talking about server 2008 r2...


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rattelmike View Post

I left XP years ago when Vista was in beta. Sure it had snags but I never experienced the horror stories that others have told. I honestly believe that the worst OS MS ever made was ME. That was a total mistake.
its funny since i have never experienced these horror stories on ME that people talk about...
(maybe because i wasnt tinkering around...)
i have personally installed on 6 Machines ME which originally had Windows 98 because USB support was a must and they have and still are working with no hiccups (that was about 5 years ago)
i think only me and joan (one of our members here) are the only ones with good experiences with ME...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I remember in 1995 the same thing happening. Now the internet wasnít the thing it is today so word about 95 didnít get out like Vista and Win 7, but still it became a smash hit with the home computer geeks of the time. But, in the corporate world this didnít happen. The company I worked for at the time as Director of Information Systems (IF) decided that to go to Windows 95 was not productive (and I agreed with them). At the time Win NT was going 3.5 and because it had the Win 3.xx interface there was very little training required to upgrade in that direction, hence, that was the route we took. It gave us the 32 bit OS we thought was the way of the future. Today businesses have to look hard at cost of new equipment, along with training/retraining their people. This is one reason Vista didnít a get leg up; it just didnít make sense to go with a new and unknown OS. By the time Vista hit the street it was already getting a bad name because of bad drivers, BSOD during installation, etc.

Window 7 is an excellent operating system, having said that as a beta tester since October I have seen a great deal of people on sites like SF finding all kinds of things they donít like about the 7 OS. The inability to go to classic menus, the dislike of the Superbar; this list can go on and on, albeit you get the picture. If IT techs and home computer geeks are complaining about the fore mention problems then think what it is like for the secretary, clerk, sales rep, and others that use computers on a daily basis they can cause major headaches to IT Techs, and company educators. Try telling someone who is not acquainted with Win 7 Superbar how to use it, then you will be able to understand what it is like to be an IT Tech.

Win7 will replace XP, just not right away, and if Microsoft is smart they will work hard over the next year to ensure Win 7 will meets the standards that the Corporate World is looking for and wants in an OS and Server Applications.
i cant just can say anything else by agree with you...
8 years was too long for OS to be available, people got used to XP and now some wont go ( and its fine, i personally know one of my professors that will stay with XP because it just works for him) to any of the OS'es in the future (including Win 8 and so on...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jul 2009   #22
andy182

Windows 7
 
 

the only thing keeping me back on Win XP, even tho i have tried almost every build of 7 64bit is the fact that my dual CRT (Compaq p900 + CTX EX951F) refuse to work together at high refresh rates for fast paced fps gaming(tried to make drivers with phoenix+moninfo) and also i have some other some small peripherals and games that refuse to work on 64bit OS's in general(Playstation2 controller hub for PC), so i never upgraded to vista because of this but I hope I can find a work around for 7 because i really like it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #23
wysiwyg

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

No one denies XP was a decent system AT THE TIME, that time is past, but there will always be those that hang on to it, although they know in their own mind that its becoming obsolete.

I believe that come October 22cnd XP support will start to dwindle,

I started with 98 crash-o-matic, graduated to XP, despite all the predictions of doom and disaster, but it gradually worked itself out, then when Vista arrived, again straight in at launch, compared to XP launch, Vista launch was much better, all the negativity was so much hot air it was laughable,
I found Vista much better XP, speed wise not much difference but stability and reliability much better.

Likewise Vista to 7, speed similar, again the system is much smoother,
I always self build to suit the system requirements, any other way is self-defeating, old obsolete applications that struggle are consigned to the trash, those that still work soldier on, like Windows office 2000,
I may be 81 but I still look to the future not backwards.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jul 2009   #24
Dave76

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mats View Post
Can't agree more.

For a CIO it's a simple question: What does it cost and can I save that money somehow?

With Vista MS mad a huge error in marketing by focusing on Aero, Aero and Aero. The CIO saw a new Gui wich means huge costs for education and no return of investment.

IF MS instead had focused on Bitlocker (no need for expensive third party cryptos), The enhanced powersaving (reduced electricity bill), The capability to run all machines on a single image (reduced costs for IS staff) and so on alot more companies would have used vista.
Even today i meet customers and other IT-pros that doesn't know about Vistas capabilities in theese areas since all they heard was aero......
I hope thar MS learns this leasson for Seven but so far it has been Aero,Aero and Aero again and a little about faster boot times but almost nothing about direct access. Even better powersave. The delta repliction for offline files ans so on. All of theese are prodction improvements for the users and if you can show that your users can save 1 hour a week using Vista/Seven instead of XP, any reasonable CIO will launch a case studie to see that his benefits will be and most likley issue an uppgrade.

True case: An organisation with 20K users. The can show that the powesave fetures in Vista alone is enough to finance an uppgrade to Vista, train the users and replace about 50% of their computers. Pay back time, 18 months

You should $ell this to 'MS sales', It makes too much sense!
You would think this approach would be obvious to them....
How much would a large company save in productivity from bootup/shutdown time and power savings?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #25
Robearl2x

Win7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I remember in 1995 the same thing happening. Now the internet wasnít the thing it is today so word about 95 didnít get out like Vista and Win 7, but still it became a smash hit with the home computer geeks of the time. But, in the corporate world this didnít happen. The company I worked for at the time as Director of Information Systems (IF) decided that to go to Windows 95 was not productive (and I agreed with them). At the time Win NT was going 3.5 and because it had the Win 3.xx interface there was very little training required to upgrade in that direction, hence, that was the route we took. It gave us the 32 bit OS we thought was the way of the future. Today businesses have to look hard at cost of new equipment, along with training/retraining their people. This is one reason Vista didnít a get leg up; it just didnít make sense to go with a new and unknown OS. By the time Vista hit the street it was already getting a bad name because of bad drivers, BSOD during installation, etc.

Window 7 is an excellent operating system, having said that as a beta tester since October I have seen a great deal of people on sites like SF finding all kinds of things they donít like about the 7 OS. The inability to go to classic menus, the dislike of the Superbar; this list can go on and on, albeit you get the picture. If IT techs and home computer geeks are complaining about the fore mention problems then think what it is like for the secretary, clerk, sales rep, and others that use computers on a daily basis they can cause major headaches to IT Techs, and company educators. Try telling someone who is not acquainted with Win 7 Superbar how to use it, then you will be able to understand what it is like to be an IT Tech.

Win7 will replace XP, just not right away, and if Microsoft is smart they will work hard over the next year to ensure Win 7 will meets the standards that the Corporate World is looking for and wants in an OS and Server Applications.

In the business world, speed and reliability are paramount; not cartoon like interfaces. At the end of the day, it matters how productive you are, not how happy you are with your expensive cartooney GUI.
SPEED, STABILITY, and SECURITY are the most important features businesses are worried about -- period!
They had no plans to downgrade to Vista. They are, and will remain, an XP Pro shop until something truly better comes along. Windows 7 in my view is a strong step in that direction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #26
mvierling

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) RTM
 
 

I have an perspective from the business side of things. I am a director of IT. We're still running XP on our workstations for one reason and that is application compatibility. Up until a few months ago, our major applications would not run on Vista. It appears that software developers were slow to modify their applications to run on Vista. In the business world, that is like signing a death certificate. I've been running Vista at home since the beta days, but at the office we need our business apps to run. Incidentally, I'm placing my first Vista machines in service in the workplace this week; and believe it or not, Microsoft STILL does not have their act together with Vista in regards to Group Policies and Preferences. Applying SP2 breaks group polices that were fixed with a KB article that up until recently, would not run on SP2. These little quirks prevented and still prevent Vista from mainstream acceptance in the business world. Testing of Windows 7 has proved a better experience so far, at least where I work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #27
Xander

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 

The reason most people who stick with XP will do so until they have to upgrade is easy. It ain't broke so don't fix it.

The reason they think this? They never use the OS other than to run their apps on it and so as the apps stay the same (mostly) from XP to Win7 they'll be ignorant of any other real changes.

Oh and as for CEOs and others... you guys must have the clever ones. The directors I work for won't buy it for one major reason... it's different and therefore should be burned as a heretical object. All that is different must DIE!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #28
datter

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit (RTM)
 
 

A lot of people haven't migrated from XP because there has been no valid destination to migrate to. Vista had become a scary option due to all the talk of problems and Nazi-like security procedures which left Linux and Mac. The former being accurately perceived as being for only the geek-elite and the latter for the non-tech hipster crowd. The majority of people are in neither camp.

I think Win7 will be the first genuinely good alternative XP users have seen to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #29
Xander

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by datter View Post
A lot of people haven't migrated from XP because there has been no valid destination to migrate to. Vista had become a scary option due to all the talk of problems and Nazi-like security procedures which left Linux and Mac. The former being accurately perceived as being for only the geek-elite and the latter for the non-tech hipster crowd. The majority of people are in neither camp.

I think Win7 will be the first genuinely good alternative XP users have seen to date.
Oh with my lot I doubt that. It still "does stuff" like on it's own!!!!

Dun dun duhhh!!!

The advent of cyberdine!!!

They'll be shouting at it for months *sigh*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #30
Antman

 

A place for everything and everything in its place. I have XP on two machines because those machines are not sufficiently configured for Windows 7. One of those machines is my home voicemail and auto-attendant platform. It is a single purpose platform. My home phones do not ring and I like it like that. It ain't broke and I will not fix it.

The other PC is used for streaming video using the EdgeStream client. It is also a single purpose platform. The stream provider requires the client and there are "issues" with certain codecs under Win7. I might upgrade the hardware and install 7 when the EdgeStream client is updated, but I have no compelling reason to do so. A penny saved is a penny earned.

I have another XP license installed in a VM on my Win7 platform. I use this for professional purposes.

An operating system is an operating system and is not worthy of my emotional attachment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is it about XP that people just canít live without




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to add people to a picture in windows live gallery image editor
HI I have windows 7 on a laptop. Home edition. It has a basic imaging editor (I can straighten, crop, etc.) What I would like to do is add people and crop or scissor people into and out of pictures. Can I do this with windows home 7 or do I have to download something extra? Thanks for your...
Music, Pictures & Video
Take a bow, people everywhere
Although I'm getting on in years I do try to keep up with the fast-moving world of personal computers and the like (although my pocket does take an enormous hit at times). My point is this: in the short time I've been a member of Windows Seven Forums I've been astounded by the sheer wealth of...
Chillout Room
What draws people to Windows Live Mail and other email
More...
News
Big thank you to the following people
I would like to say a big thank you to the following people who have supplied me with advice, ideas and help. I had 3 computer infected with a bad virus. I know have 3 clean computers and couldn't have achieved it without the assistance of the following people ( As the virus doesn't scan by...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App