Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is it about XP that people just canít live without

28 Jul 2009   #31
str4w

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Well I switched recently to win7 after 8 years of XP. Was a pretty bad decision since I cant afford win7 and the eyecandy wasnt worth it. I'm musician and the drivers for a lot of my hardware doesnt work as good as under Xp.
Some stuff doesnt work at all (actually only the scsi stuff and an old midi interface)
As soon as I can be arsed to install all the crap again on my laptop I go back to XP since seven will run out sooner or later.
A big fat minus for seven is the brush bug on photoshop cs4 (my girlfriend tried seven out as well "oh, and she was clever enough to run it on a replace HD to check how good it works on a laptop" - had the same bug so its not just my maschine and the CS4 pack is a bought one from my GF's graphic agency - all win7 drivers available were tried out.

The Performance between seven and XP is almost the same but considered that I had different profiles on XP - 1 of them for live gigs which ran only serato scratch without explorer and all that crap which made my system uncrashable, makes me prefer XP again. Dont know if that is possible on seven since I'm an OS-0.

I guess the years will pass and if seven is really that good loads of people will switch to seven or eight or whatever will deliver the best compatibility with the actuall and past software & harware. Some people will use XP as long as they can......maybe.....forever

I dont see the benefits right now so I will stick as long with XP as possible untill harware/ software issues will force me to switch or seven will be available for free (illegal) The only good thing about is that it operates with 64 bit on my laptop and that it detects all of my ram installed. That was the reason for "checking" it out (Videoproduction consumes loads of ram )


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jul 2009   #32
Iisee

Win XP Pro
 
 

Iím still using XP because I have yet to hear one substantial reason why I should upgrade. What are the compelling features that should make me want to upgrade? All I hear is that the UI is really cool. Gee, at 65, cool passed me by about 30 years ago. And if it is so cool, why do so many tech sites recommend turning Aero off to improve performance? There were also some claims about improved security. But why are all of the Tech sites filled with articles on how to shut off UAC?
Iíve been in the IT business for 45 years. So long, in fact, that it was called DP when I started (that stands for Data Processing for you yungíuns). The first computer I saw was an IBM 1401. Iíve had a personal computer in my house since Commodore 64 days. Today I have 4 PCís in my house. Comparing my primary PC to that 1401 is mind boggling.
One thing I am certain about is that nobody buys a computer for the OS. Applications drive all purchasing decisions whether for the home or for business. So my point is that until application software is written that takes advantage of some new capabilities in the OS, there is no compelling reason to upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #33
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iisee View Post
Iím still using XP because I have yet to hear one substantial reason why I should upgrade. What are the compelling features that should make me want to upgrade? All I hear is that the UI is really cool. Gee, at 65, cool passed me by about 30 years ago. And if it is so cool, why do so many tech sites recommend turning Aero off to improve performance? There were also some claims about improved security. But why are all of the Tech sites filled with articles on how to shut off UAC?
Iíve been in the IT business for 45 years. So long, in fact, that it was called DP when I started (that stands for Data Processing for you yungíuns). The first computer I saw was an IBM 1401. Iíve had a personal computer in my house since Commodore 64 days. Today I have 4 PCís in my house. Comparing my primary PC to that 1401 is mind boggling.
One thing I am certain about is that nobody buys a computer for the OS. Applications drive all purchasing decisions whether for the home or for business. So my point is that until application software is written that takes advantage of some new capabilities in the OS, there is no compelling reason to upgrade.
Welcome to Sevenforums!
Nobody is forced to upgrade.
If you are happy with what you have, why bother.

Only thing is if you buy a new PC after 22 October it will have Windows 7 on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jul 2009   #34
Robearl2x

Win7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Welcome to Sevenforums Iisee.
Good to here from you and your point of view.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jul 2009   #35
driecken

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Personally I never liked xp, for a few reasons, I switched back to 2000 almost immediately after buying xp, and gave it to my mom+dad for their future installs.

I liked vista, I don't know what bothered so many people about it, im sure there were genuine problems people had with vista, but I never experienced any I couldn't solve with either a bit of experience, or research or both.

XP was never an os i liked using, I wold have even preferred 98 if I had too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #36
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by driecken View Post
Personally I never liked xp, for a few reasons, I switched back to 2000 almost immediately after buying xp, and gave it to my mom+dad for their future installs.

I liked vista, I don't know what bothered so many people about it, im sure there were genuine problems people had with vista, but I never experienced any I couldn't solve with either a bit of experience, or research or both.

XP was never an os i liked using, I wold have even preferred 98 if I had too.
I agree...I used XP for three days and then tossed the disc back for 2000...I loved Vista and would be using it with no issue if 7 wasn't here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #37
geometrikal

Windows 7
 
 
my 2c

I think XP's longevity owes to a stabilisation in computer hardware, particularly with the pentium 4 processor. Therefore it wasn't necessary to upgrade the OS when new hardware came out.

Also XP was easy to use, and as it lived longer and longer, drivers became more and more stable. As we all know, drivers had to be rewritten for Vista so instability crept back again generating a lot of bad press. With Windows 7 most manufactures would have got their act together writing a drivers for Vista, which I don't think will need to be changed hardly at all for Win 7. So things will work in Win 7 straight away as the drivers are already mature = no bad press. I think that if people want to use their 8 year old hardware they should stick to their 8 year old OS. Updating one component in the system generally means updating them all.

The other thing is that the Microsoft OS design, while completely getting reworked under the hood from XP to Vista, and taken a bit further with win 7, looks and operates under fairly the same paradigm as XP, so again no compelling reason to upgrade on the surface for non-tech savvy people.

Now if only windows 7 came with WinFS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #38
ten

XP / Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

I just don't see a good enough reason to "upgrade". I just see negatives like slowing down my system and adding more bloat. I'm a minimalist and think XP is bloated too but it's not that bad

One of these days I'll have to but XP will be supported by MS until 2014 so I don't think it will be anytime soon.

Anyways, who cares? It's just software folks. This appears to be par for the course around here but there's no need to get romantic about it. Pretty soon you'll be outdoing Linux and Mac fanboys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #39
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by driecken View Post
Personally I never liked xp, for a few reasons, I switched back to 2000 almost immediately after buying xp, and gave it to my mom+dad for their future installs.

I liked vista, I don't know what bothered so many people about it, im sure there were genuine problems people had with vista, but I never experienced any I couldn't solve with either a bit of experience, or research or both.

XP was never an os i liked using, I wold have even preferred 98 if I had too.
You and me both. When I bought a new machine in 2003, the first thing I did was wipe XP off it and install Windows 2000. To this day I don't get what was so great about XP. Is it because the average user went from 98/ME to XP? Sure, maybe THAT was a worthwhile upgrade, but 2000 to XP wasn't at all IMO. I was disappointed when Microsoft decided to scrap SP5 for 2000 in favor of an update rollup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jul 2009   #40
mikinho
Microsoft MVP

6x W2K8 R2 (x64), 6x W7 7600 (x64), 2x Gentoo (x64), 1x Ubuntu 9.04 (x64), 1x pfSense (FreeBSD)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by str4w View Post
Well I switched recently to win7 after 8 years of XP. Was a pretty bad decision since I cant afford win7 and the eyecandy wasnt worth it. I'm musician and the drivers for a lot of my hardware doesnt work as good as under Xp.
Some stuff doesnt work at all (actually only the scsi stuff and an old midi interface)
I don't see how anyone can criticize an operating system that has not even been released yet for driver incompatiblities. I'm not trying to single anyone but what did you expect from a beta and release candidate? There is a reason RTM is released several months prior to a public release.

In addition, have you ever looked at trends in driver incompatibilities? You'll notice the same companies typically tend to have "broken" drivers at each OS release. It is not rare that driver developers use undocumented functions and\or "bugs" to get their products to work. When fixes are put in place, usually for security reasons their products break.

Does anyone not remember the release of XP? Most corporations would not touch it until SP1. Most of the people I know who swear by XP are the same people who swore by W2K until XP SP2 was released.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Iisee
There were also some claims about improved security. But why are all of the Tech sites filled with articles on how to shut off UAC?
Because of lazy developers. That is the only reason to turn off UAC. At least 50% (probably a lot more) of software is developed using bad practices and by developers who do not care to learn or are used to seeing examples of bad practices.

Edit: To elaborate, how many application continue to store their configuration file, logs and even user data in their installation folder or subfolder. It wasn't until Vista that many applications were updated to use APPDATA, ALLUSERSPROFILE, ProgramData, TEMP eventhough most have been available and the proper storage location since W2K. And it isn't just smaller software products, IBM and Lotus still have Enterprise products that store configuration and logs in their install folder. The software and more specifically the lazy programmers fault yet the operating system is to blame and the developers recommend turning UAC off instead of fixing their products.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is it about XP that people just canít live without




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to add people to a picture in windows live gallery image editor
HI I have windows 7 on a laptop. Home edition. It has a basic imaging editor (I can straighten, crop, etc.) What I would like to do is add people and crop or scissor people into and out of pictures. Can I do this with windows home 7 or do I have to download something extra? Thanks for your...
Music, Pictures & Video
Take a bow, people everywhere
Although I'm getting on in years I do try to keep up with the fast-moving world of personal computers and the like (although my pocket does take an enormous hit at times). My point is this: in the short time I've been a member of Windows Seven Forums I've been astounded by the sheer wealth of...
Chillout Room
What draws people to Windows Live Mail and other email
More...
News
Big thank you to the following people
I would like to say a big thank you to the following people who have supplied me with advice, ideas and help. I had 3 computer infected with a bad virus. I know have 3 clean computers and couldn't have achieved it without the assistance of the following people ( As the virus doesn't scan by...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App