Trying to delete a file: Could not find this item.


  1. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 v6.1.7601
       #1

    Trying to delete a file: Could not find this item.


    I've been cleaning up my music folder and am having a problem deleting an old music file and the folder its located in. Whenever I try to delete it, I get this error message: Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\blah blah...Verify the items location and try again.

    I cannot rename it. I cannot change the attributes to not read only. This error message comes up when I try to do this: An error occurred applying attributes to the file: C:\Users\blah blah The system cannot find the file specified.

    I have an HP Pavilion dv6. Windows 7 x64.

    Any help here would be great.
    Thanks,
    Bob
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 740
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
       #2

    If it could not find it, then it sounds like it's already been deleted. I would expect an "access denied" error if it was a permissions issue, close all you explorer widows. open it again and navigate to the problem file and see if it is really there anymore.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 12,012
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
       #3

    Have you tried:

    moving it to another folder and then trying to delete it from that folder


    running dir /x from a command prompt to get the 8.3 file name and then trying to delete that 8.3 name

    have you run checkdisk?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 v6.1.7601
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Sub Styler said:
    If it could not find it, then it sounds like it's already been deleted. I would expect an "access denied" error if it was a permissions issue, close all you explorer widows. open it again and navigate to the problem file and see if it is really there anymore.

    Ya, I did do that. I restarted the computer and it always shows up.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 v6.1.7601
    Thread Starter
       #5

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Have you tried:

    moving it to another folder and then trying to delete it from that folder


    running dir /x from a command prompt to get the 8.3 file name and then trying to delete that 8.3 name

    have you run checkdisk?

    It lets me move the file and the folder, but after that it gives me the same error: Could not find this item.

    I ran check disk with no errors noted.

    When I removed the folder from my music library a strange thing happened, a small lock appeared on the icon. But either way, before and after the lock appeared, it would give me that same error message about not being able to find the file.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 v6.1.7601
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Also, when I run a dir from a command prompt, the file name shows up. The wierd thing is when I search for the actual file name from a dir in a command prompt, it says File not found...
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
       #7

    Hi! I had a similar problem with a file on my desktop I couldn't delete , showing the same error message . I tried everything posted on several forums . One thing worked great . A tiny program called "DelinvFile" .Has 3 actions free trial free. It took me 2 minutes to get rid of this stuck file for good , like magic . I hope you've already found a solution , if not this is the answer .
    CYA Around .
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64 v6.1.7601
    Thread Starter
       #8

    express49 said:
    Hi! I had a similar problem with a file on my desktop I couldn't delete , showing the same error message . I tried everything posted on several forums . One thing worked great . A tiny program called "DelinvFile" .Has 3 actions free trial free. It took me 2 minutes to get rid of this stuck file for good , like magic . I hope you've already found a solution , if not this is the answer .
    CYA Around .


    Thanks!! That program did the delete for me. Thanks for turning me on to it.

    Bob

      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits
       #9

    My pleasure !
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:39.
Find Us