Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Seven or XP?

View Poll Results: What you choose?
Seven (don't choose only because you use it at the moment) 211 87.92%
XP 29 12.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

05 Aug 2009   #101
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Is 7 better than XP? Oh boy, let me count the ways....

1. Security: Before I get some of the standard "I don't need Vista/7 to protect me, I know how to secure my machine" responses, let me reiterate. There have been some flaws in Windows that an antivirus and firewall simply won't catch. A good example of this would be the SWF flaw from the early days of Vista. UAC protected against this flaw, and now with 7's revised UAC, there's no reason not to jump from XP to 7, if nothing else, for the added security.

2. Performance: On every machine I've tried, ranging from old machines with Athlon 2400+ processors with 768 MB RAM, to Phenom X4's with 4 GB RAM, 7's WORST performance was on par with XP at its best. And given XP's susceptibility to "Windows Rot", I don't feel the need to format every couple of months to maintain the best speed possible. Windows 7 always feels snappy, no matter how much I load the drive up with software and other files.

3. Appearance: I realize to some, this is a non-issue, and that there are literally thousands of themes and visual styles available for XP, but with 7, I don't feel any sort of need or desire to change its appearance. Explorer looks clean IMO, and while it's argued that XP's Explorer was more customizable, 7's UI is so neat that I don't feel it needs customization. Aero looks a lot more refined than it did in Vista, and with WDDM 1.1, it's also more efficient with memory.

4. Taskbar: This might be a sub-category of Appearance, but with all the improvements made to the taskbar, I felt it deserved its own category. The way they essentially combined the old taskbar with Quick Launch makes for a very impressive and more importantly, very efficient experience. Any programs I use frequently, I just pin to the taskbar, so it's always there, and I don't have to clutter my desktop with icons or search through Quick Launch. At first I didn't even like the new taskbar because I was so used to using Quick Launch, but after using it more and more, the more I liked it.

5. Networking: Setting up a home network is still simple, like it was in Vista. I'm sure the vast majority of us know how to set up a network in XP anyways, but with 7, it's much more seamless.

There are some others like Libraries that I haven't touched on, but I haven't fooled around enough with other aspects of the OS to provide an in-depth opinion.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Aug 2009   #102
SanityKills

Windows 7/XP
 
 

Windows XP, but I'll probably switch to Windows 7 purely out of boredom. Windows 7 has lots of small glitches, issues with gaming video, slow screen writes, and feels as if it's sluggish under the hood moreso than XP. It still feels unfinished but that's pretty typical for Microsoft these days. I get the feel that it is slower, but designed to "appear" faster cosmetically if that makes any sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #103
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KazeNoKoe23 View Post
Is 7 better than XP? Oh boy, let me count the ways....

1. Security: Before I get some of the standard "I don't need Vista/7 to protect me, I know how to secure my machine" responses, let me reiterate. There have been some flaws in Windows that an antivirus and firewall simply won't catch. A good example of this would be the SWF flaw from the early days of Vista. UAC protected against this flaw, and now with 7's revised UAC, there's no reason to jump from XP to 7, if nothing else, for the added security.

2. Performance: On every machine I've tried, ranging from old machines with Athlon 2400+ processors with 768 MB RAM, to Phenom X4's with 4 GB RAM, 7's WORST performance was on par with XP at its best. And given XP's susceptibility to "Windows Rot", I don't feel the need to format every couple of months to maintain the best speed possible. Windows 7 always feels snappy, no matter how much I load the drive up with software and other files.

3. Appearance: I realize to some, this is a non-issue, and that there are literally thousands of themes and visual styles available for XP, but with 7, I don't feel any sort of need or desire to change its appearance. Explorer looks clean IMO, and while it's argued that XP's Explorer was more customizable, 7's UI is so neat that I don't feel it needs customization. Aero looks a lot more refined than it did in Vista, and with WDDM 1.1, it's also more efficient with memory.

4. Taskbar: This might be a sub-category of Appearance, but with all the improvements made to the taskbar, I felt it deserved its own category. The way they essentially combined the old taskbar with Quick Launch makes for a very impressive and more importantly, very efficient experience. Any programs I use frequently, I just pin to the taskbar, so it's always there, and I don't have to clutter my desktop with icons or search through Quick Launch. At first I didn't even like the new taskbar because I was so used to using Quick Launch, but after using it more and more, the more I liked it.

5. Networking: Setting up a home network is still simple, like it was in Vista. I'm sure the vast majority of us know how to set up a network in XP anyways, but with 7, it's much more seamless.

There are some others like Libraries that I haven't touched on, but I haven't fooled around enough with other aspects of the OS to provide an in-depth opinion.

+1 .. + rep
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Aug 2009   #104
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SanityKills View Post
Windows XP, but I'll probably switch to Windows 7 purely out of boredom. Windows 7 has lots of small glitches, issues with gaming video, slow screen writes, and feels as if it's sluggish under the hood moreso than XP. It still feels unfinished but that's pretty typical for Microsoft these days. I get the feel that it is slower, but designed to "appear" faster cosmetically if that makes any sense.
Strange. I haven't had any of these issues. What are your computer specs?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Tews View Post
+1 .. + rep
And thank you for the rep.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #105
Muad Dib

XP Pro & Vista Home Premium (x86); Windows Ultimate 7600 x64 Retail
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KazeNoKoe23 View Post
Is 7 better than XP? Oh boy, let me count the ways....

1. Security: Before I get some of the standard "I don't need Vista/7 to protect me, I know how to secure my machine" responses, let me reiterate. There have been some flaws in Windows that an antivirus and firewall simply won't catch. A good example of this would be the SWF flaw from the early days of Vista. UAC protected against this flaw, and now with 7's revised UAC, there's no reason to jump from XP to 7, if nothing else, for the added security.

2. Performance: On every machine I've tried, ranging from old machines with Athlon 2400+ processors with 768 MB RAM, to Phenom X4's with 4 GB RAM, 7's WORST performance was on par with XP at its best. And given XP's susceptibility to "Windows Rot", I don't feel the need to format every couple of months to maintain the best speed possible. Windows 7 always feels snappy, no matter how much I load the drive up with software and other files.

3. Appearance: I realize to some, this is a non-issue, and that there are literally thousands of themes and visual styles available for XP, but with 7, I don't feel any sort of need or desire to change its appearance. Explorer looks clean IMO, and while it's argued that XP's Explorer was more customizable, 7's UI is so neat that I don't feel it needs customization. Aero looks a lot more refined than it did in Vista, and with WDDM 1.1, it's also more efficient with memory.

4. Taskbar: This might be a sub-category of Appearance, but with all the improvements made to the taskbar, I felt it deserved its own category. The way they essentially combined the old taskbar with Quick Launch makes for a very impressive and more importantly, very efficient experience. Any programs I use frequently, I just pin to the taskbar, so it's always there, and I don't have to clutter my desktop with icons or search through Quick Launch. At first I didn't even like the new taskbar because I was so used to using Quick Launch, but after using it more and more, the more I liked it.

5. Networking: Setting up a home network is still simple, like it was in Vista. I'm sure the vast majority of us know how to set up a network in XP anyways, but with 7, it's much more seamless.

There are some others like Libraries that I haven't touched on, but I haven't fooled around enough with other aspects of the OS to provide an in-depth opinion.
Well done!

I would only add superior memory management, load balancing and improved analysis tools such as the Resource Monitor and Event Viewer. IMO.

Rep4U.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #106
ten

XP / Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

I don't really like XP over Win2K but due to some issues I had to "upgrade". That being said, XP because there are only a couple of things in 7 that I like. Also, on my system, XP blows 7 away in terms of performance. Here's just one test...



P.S. Asking this question here is kinda silly. Most here are fanatical about Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #107
Kaizen

Windows XP x64
 
 

All things being equal hardware and compatability wise, Seven will always be faster than XP. But there are compatability issues to consider. If you use expensive serial devices or other old hardware, you might want to stay with XP. "XP mode" in Windows 7 does not help if your hardware is not supported by Windows 7. XP is not obsolete by a long shot. Stick with Service Pack 2 if you choose XP, there are numerous problems with Service Pack 3 (performance, glitches, crashing, compatability.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #108
robcardiv

Well its not POS Vista lol : )
 
 

Great answers.
sadly there is only one crippling flaw.

compatability.

Good luck trying to get XP 32bit drivers to run with Win7 64.

I love win7.
but ive only been using it for 24 hours (after using it and going back to XP).
and im already having to spend hour+ looking for

Why my Xbcd (NON 360) controller will not work in win7.
I guess the answer is out there somewhere,
but between the millions of vista answers out there. I still havent found it.
(And I doubt BING has the magic arrow either), guess ill go verify that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #109
robcardiv

Well its not POS Vista lol : )
 
 

Proof that random "Polls" are bad bad places to get your idea of truth.
apparently going to the windows7 forum and polling
XP vrs 7 is about as bias as it gets ^ ^

10 percent people voted for XP.

I would vote for 7, I enjoy it alot.
But less than 24 hours in, im already running up against incompatability.

Windows 7 is not smart enough to understand all XP drivers.
I dont care how, or why the excuses. It just isnt.

If you dont mind losing a few frames per second, and buying new hardware because old stuff (even xbox controllers, non 360) MICROSOFT hardware even... will fail to regonize.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2009   #110
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by robcardiv View Post
Proof that random "Polls" are bad bad places to get your idea of truth.
apparently going to the windows7 forum and polling
XP vrs 7 is about as bias as it gets ^ ^

10 percent people voted for XP.

I would vote for 7, I enjoy it alot.
But less than 24 hours in, im already running up against incompatability.

Windows 7 is not smart enough to understand all XP drivers.
I dont care how, or why the excuses. It just isnt.

If you dont mind losing a few frames per second, and buying new hardware because old stuff (even xbox controllers, non 360) MICROSOFT hardware even... will fail to regonize.
Why should 7 run XP drivers? You realize that the Microsoft Driver Framework has changed a bit in 9 years...if non-microsoft hardware is not working on 7 and drivers designed for 7 are not available than it is the manufacture of the product's fault...same goes for Microsoft's incompatibility with their hardware you own in this case. I would like for you to prove a loss in Frames per second...as many have spoken to the contrary here in the forums...I would make sure I have the appropiate GFX and Chipset drivers designed for Windows 7 in this case. When a driver is designed for an OS that doesn't mean it is desgined to run on every OS afterwards...your argument on 7 running XP drivers is obsolete

BTW a 32-bit driver cannot be used on a 64-bit OS...please re-evaluate that statement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Seven or XP?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App