Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Seven or XP?

View Poll Results: What you choose?
Seven (don't choose only because you use it at the moment) 211 87.92%
XP 29 12.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

06 Aug 2009   #131
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ten View Post
Yep. I see so many here saying that 7 is faster than XP but all they are telling you is seat of the pants feeling. I would bet that if they actually ran some benchmarks they would see that in fact it isn't.

I would love to test a quad core with a couple of gigs of fast ram. The differences probably wouldn't be as big but I would still put my money on XP.
Except the fact that benchmarks have already been done all over the internet...also such benchmarks between XP and 7 cannot be fair due to a difference in test variables. OS + 3SPs + 9 years of refinement vs. Pre-Release OS...want some fair benchmarks? Throw XP Pre-SP against 7

It is pretty sad that I have to re-iterate the point all the time and yet people still don't get it


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Aug 2009   #132
ten

XP / Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

That's just ridiculous.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #133
petrossa

vista x64/ win 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ten View Post
Yep. I see so many here saying that 7 is faster than XP but all they are telling you is seat of the pants feeling. I would bet that if they actually ran some benchmarks they would see that in fact it isn't.

I would love to test a quad core with a couple of gigs of fast ram. The differences probably wouldn't be as big but I would still put my money on XP.
see my specs. XP flies circles around 7 on same machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2009   #134
ten

XP / Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

Ahh, cool. Nice system.

BTW,
Quote:
Windows on multicore test results

Windows XP SP2 outpaced Windows Vista SP1 and Windows 7 beta by leaps and bounds during multiprocess workload testing (concurrent database, messaging workflow, and multimedia tasks) on our dual-core and quad-core test beds.
Windows on multicore test results | Business - InfoWorld
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #135
visy199

XP SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ten View Post
So Xp it's better to use on quad core pc's?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #136
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ten View Post
Thanks for the info!

Windows Vista and Windows 7 take better advantage of multiple cores than Windows XP, but not enough to overcome XP's greater efficiency.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by visy199 View Post
So Xp it's better to use on quad core pc's?
It'll be fast as hell.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #137
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Except the fact that benchmarks have already been done all over the internet...also such benchmarks between XP and 7 cannot be fair due to a difference in test variables. OS + 3SPs + 9 years of refinement vs. Pre-Release OS...want some fair benchmarks? Throw XP Pre-SP against 7

It is pretty sad that I have to re-iterate the point all the time and yet people still don't get it
Benchmarks are not about 'fairness' - They're about "what-is".

XP + SP3, is.

XP + SP2, is.

XP + SP1, is, and so are all the rest, on down...

If people choose to, they can "benchmark" any version of Windows 7, from build 7600 (the 'real' thing) ,
down through 7100, Beta, or whatever the hell they want to.

"Benchmarks" have always been biased, one way or the other,
usually by the "Independent Agency" conducting the "benchmark".

Most people do not have the 'technical expertise' to initiate their own,
nor do they have knowledge or resources to pit one against the other, keeping all things equal.

You neglect to acknowledge the fact that the "3SPs + 9 years of refinement" heavily contributed to the development of the "Pre-Release OS".

Your post of "non-information" makes one assume that the XP operating system fared better than the competitor.

I haven't read any of the re-iterations , but I certainly do fit into the category of "...yet people still don't get it".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #138
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by visy199 View Post
So Xp it's better to use on quad core pc's?
not neccessarily.all you can take from that is that XP performs better on his system. Zidane makes a great point that far too many people don't seem to get. Windows 7 isn't even released yet! XP has had 3 service packs and years worth of fine tuning. Wait til seven's been out for a while and hardware/software vendors are onboard. If 7 performs this well at this early stage then it's safe to say that it is streets ahead of XP or any other OS currently available
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #139
ten

XP / Windows 7 Pro RTM
 
 

Where do you people get this XP has been fine tuned (for speed) over the last 8 years? If anything XP probably got slower when they introduced SP2. I don't recall reading any KB article addressing performance. It's all bug and security fixes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #140
masterB

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ten View Post
Where do you people get this XP has been fine tuned (for speed) over the last 8 years? If anything XP probably got slower when they introduced SP2. I don't recall reading any KB article addressing performance. It's all bug and security fixes.
It's a fact running it on new hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Seven or XP?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App