Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Seven or XP?

View Poll Results: What you choose?
Seven (don't choose only because you use it at the moment) 211 87.92%
XP 29 12.08%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

06 Aug 2009   #181
gizbug

Windows 7
 
 

If you're still running XP, your running a DATED OS. time to move on.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Aug 2009   #182
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
If you're still running XP, your running a DATED OS. time to move on.
I couldn't agree more...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #183
noyb

XP MCE .... XP Pro 64 .... W7 U x64
 
 

It would make Microsoft very happy if we had to buy a new OS every year or two ..
because the old one wore out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2009   #184
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gizbug View Post
If you're still running XP, your running a DATED OS. time to move on.
Utterly, completely, inarguably, indefensibly, irrefutably, conclusively, unquestionably, certainly, incontestably, incontrovertibly, indisputably, indubitably, positively, surely, unassailably, undeniably, undisputably, not true.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #185
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Utterly, completely, inarguably, indefensibly, irrefutably, conclusively, unquestionably, certainly, incontestably, incontrovertibly, indisputably, indubitably, positively, surely, unassailably, undeniably, undisputably, not true.
Was having a break from my dictionary work, enjoying my second single malt (CEO's permission). And then I saw this.

Back to work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #186
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by noyb View Post
Trying to figure out how to hack W7 to put all the good XP tools back in ..
that M$ doesn't seem to think we need.
Two hacked - several more to go.
1. Do you have a list of XP 'tools' that you consider good (and necessary) ?

2. Which two have you 'hacked' ?

3. If MS deems them 'not needed', chances are, most people really don't need them.
Some people will want them back.

Just interested to see, no work being done here....

My handful of favorite 'utilities' work well with Windows 7, so I can still do whatever I'd like to do...
My handful of scripts and executables that I wrote work OK,
but I (personally) don't see anything in XP that I 'need' in Win 7, other than the above...
(Maybe I haven't run into it , yet.)

The "Run as Admin" gets to be a pain ITA, but I'll get used to it.

Quote:
XP Pro MBR - DANGEROUS to edit !!

Position: 0x00000000

CLI=FA, XOR=33C0 code: '0x33 0xC0 0x8E'
Invalid msge (012c): 'Invalid partition table'
Error msge (0144): 'Error loading operating system'
Missing msge (0163): 'Missing operating system'
Bytes at 01b0-01b3 : '0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00'
Bytes at 01b4-01b7 : '0x00 0x2C 0x44 0x63'

XP Pro bytes (01b8): '0xCB 0x14 0xCB 0x14'
___DiskSignature___
Skip over (01bc,d): '0x00 0x00'

Partition Table entry 1 (01be)
=============================
Active partition: '0x80' <===< Boots here
(Cyl,Sect bytes): '0x01 0x00'
Start Cylinder: '0x0001' (1 dec)
Start Head: '0x01' (1 dec)
Start Sector: '0x00' (0 dec)
Partition type = '0x07' NTFS Volume
(Cyl,Sect bytes): '0xFE 0xFF'
Ending Cylinder: '0x03FE' (1022 dec)
Ending Head: '0xFF' (255 dec)
Ending Sector: '0x3F' (63 dec)
LBA Start Sector: '0x0000003F' (63 dec)
Size in sectors: '0x0B1FB3E2' (186627042 dec)

Partition Table entry 2 (01ce)
=============================
Active partition: '0x00'
(Cyl,Sect bytes): '0x00 0xFF'
Start Cylinder: '0x0300' (768 dec)
Etc...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #187
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Utterly, completely, inarguably, indefensibly, irrefutably, conclusively, unquestionably, certainly, incontestably, incontrovertibly, indisputably, indubitably, positively, surely, unassailably, undeniably, undisputably, not true.


I disagree though, I believe it is true if your hardware is relatively modern. Old machines from 2002-2003? Sure, XP's great for those, but computers built in the last 2 years? Just for the hell of it, I've had XP on my home machine, and it felt so....eXPired.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #188
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KazeNoKoe23 View Post
...I believe it is true if your hardware is relatively modern......eXPired.
I hate a ringing telephone. I own the technology because it has a dialpad, not because it has a bell.

I have an old Sony VAIO Piii 866 - it runs a highly trimmed XP install (Z would be proud). It does not BSOD. It serves as my bell filter using a very simple piece of freeware - PhoneTray. If I want your call, I get a custom wav announcement over the sound card. If I do not want your call, the CID is bounced off a black/white list. Black goes to a variety of intercepts, white goes to voice mail. I have a simple TSR that dials out to voice mail via hotkey and I can listen to the voicemails. I do not even turn on the monitor for weeks at a time. Power outages are my biggest problem.

I have a Core 2 Duo install of XP also. It runs MS Access 2000 and a proprietary billing application developed by someone else. This platform is used exclusively for the support of that app and the company that relies on it. This install of XP has every application and service configured exactly like the workstations in the UK that use the billing app. I upgraded the platform from a Socket 478 because some RAM faulted and I had a C2D/mobo handy.

I have yet to work with a platform that did not present challenges or limitations - some profoundly so. But you use the tools you have.

XP may not have a place on the enthusiast or gamer desktop. It has a solid standing on the business desktop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #189
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I hate a ringing telephone. I own the technology because it has a dialpad, not because it has a bell.

I have an old Sony VAIO Piii 866 - it runs a highly trimmed XP install (Z would be proud). It does not BSOD. It serves as my bell filter using a very simple piece of freeware - PhoneTray. If I want your call, I get a custom wav announcement over the sound card. If I do not want your call, the CID is bounced off a black/white list. Black goes to a variety of intercepts, white goes to voice mail. I have a simple TSR that dials out to voice mail via hotkey and I can listen to the voicemails. I do not even turn on the monitor for weeks at a time. Power outages are my biggest problem.

I have a Core 2 Duo install of XP also. It runs MS Access 2000 and a proprietary billing application developed by someone else. This platform is used exclusively for the support of that app and the company that relies on it. This install of XP has every application and service configured exactly like the workstations in the UK that use the billing app. I upgraded the platform from a Socket 478 because some RAM faulted and I had a C2D/mobo handy.

I have yet to work with a platform that did not present challenges or limitations - some profoundly so. But you use the tools you have.

XP may not have a place on the enthusiast or gamer desktop. It has a solid standing on the business desktop.
I smelt a lite build nearby...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2009   #190
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
It serves as my bell filter using a very simple piece of freeware - PhoneTray. If I want your call, I get a custom wav announcement over the sound card. If I do not want your call, the CID is bounced off a black/white list. Black goes to a variety of intercepts, white goes to voice mail.
Ah,
Nice... Thanks for the link, now my computer can do something "useful" for a change...
It doesn't seem to fit in either category:
neither 'old machines from 2002-2003'
nor 'computers built in the last 2 years',
so I guess its OK for me to run either XP or Win7, as I choose.

I wish -I- could have thought of something like PhoneTray while I was programming the HP-3000 (RTE-A)/HayesSmartmodem
to 'reach out and touch' the US Naval Observatory, to transfer GPS readings I just acquired on the KMR (TCMS)...
(Cud've made a buck or two, maybe.)
Quote:
XP may not have a place on the enthusiast or gamer desktop.
It has a solid standing on the business desktop.
Given that, this thread should probably be wiped, but its fun visiting here - learn a lot...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Seven or XP?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:09.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App