Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 64bit or 32 bit

12 Aug 2009   #11
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
And the problem with a dual boot system in that case is exactly what?

1). Cost (licensing 2 copies of the OS)
2). Space consumed on the hard drive
3). Unnecessary complexity
4). Not likely that any performance increases would be noticeable by the person
5). Maintaining 2 OS's (defrag, viruses, spyware, malware, software installs).

In my particular case of having 2 machines available...it's nice because I can continue to use my primary box for whatever I want, while the kids simultaneously use the older computer to play their games and surf the web, etc.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Aug 2009   #12
Stranger

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
1). Cost (licensing 2 copies of the OS)
2). Space consumed on the hard drive
3). Unnecessary complexity
4). Not likely that any performance increases would be noticeable by the person
5). Maintaining 2 OS's (defrag, viruses, spyware, malware, software installs).

In my particular case of having 2 machines available...it's nice because I can continue to use my primary box for whatever I want, while the kids simultaneously use the older computer to play their games and surf the web, etc.
!) no extra cost as the person would obviously already have the existing XP operating system.
2) Space, you are kidding, I maintain a 20Gb partition for exactly this reason, having a laser that I like, but has not vista or w7 drivers, Hard drives are so cheap these days it is ridiculous.
3) what complexity exactly are you talking about? You install XP, then you install Windows 7 and use that mainly, unless of course the option of which OS to boot into confuses you a great deal at start up
4) If the person is only maintaining the secondary OS to use certain hardware who cares about performance?
5) Second OS does not contact web as it is only used for the hardware that will not run under W7, where virus or spyware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #13
DataMan47

Windows 7 Pro (MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Well, software and hardware is just about the only reason that people us computers...so that is a rather large category.
pparks1++

And let's not forget the extra memory overhead for WOW64 (and larger code size), which can be a pretty significant hit for systems without a lot of RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Aug 2009   #14
fadedrs

Vista Ultimate X64, Windows 7 X64, XP Pro X64, Vista Home Premium X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Philluk57 View Post
hi i'm currently have a amd 64 bit computer runiing windows vista 64 bit
does this meen i can only have the 64 bit version of windows seven or would i be able to install windows 7 32 bit on my 64 bit computer and i know i may seem strange to want to run a 32 bit on a 64 bit but i have my reasons
you can run either one, but if you are upgradeing from your vista x64 to 7 you will have to upgrade with x64 and the same package you have also (home, home premium, ultimate).

now if you do a clean install you can put what ever you want on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #15
DataMan47

Windows 7 Pro (MSDN)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
I have a video capture device with a feature that I like very much. It has no 64-bit driver.
Out of curiosity, have you tried it in 64-bit? I have a first-generation digital TV tuner from ATI. They never made 64-bit drivers for this model. All the drivers listed at AMD and in the Windows Update catalog were 32-bit. But then I ended up installing Win64 as a dual-boot for other reasons, and much to my surprise, the TV tuner worked. With the 32-bit drivers. After some investigation, I discovered that for TV tuner drivers, Microsoft provides a thunking layer so that 32-bit drivers could work in 64-bit Windows. (Sadly, there's no thunking layer for sound card drivers, and Creative, being in the PITA that they are, never released 64-bit drivers for their low-end legacy sound cards.) Anyway, I don't know if the same holds for video capture devices (I guess they're sorta similar to TV tuners?)...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #16
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
!) no extra cost as the person would obviously already have the existing XP operating system.
But the question was whether to use 64-bit or 32-bit. So, if they already have a 32-bit Windows version licensed, there would be a cost to getting a 64-bit version of the OS to install. Seems a bit pointless to pay for 64-bit just because you could run it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
2) Space, you are kidding, I maintain a 20Gb partition for exactly this reason, having a laser that I like, but has not vista or w7 drivers, Hard drives are so cheap these days it is ridiculous.
Sure, drives are cheap and so are some people. Tons of people won't spend the $100 to properly license Windows yet they use it every single day.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
3) what complexity exactly are you talking about? You install XP, then you install Windows 7 and use that mainly, unless of course the option of which OS to boot into confuses you a great deal at start up
Some users are barely able to install antivirus or run windows update to get hotfixes without somehow screwing up their computer. I could never imagine my inlaws trying to take a 64-bit operating system and installing a dual boot on their computer.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
4) If the person is only maintaining the secondary OS to use certain hardware who cares about performance?
My point about performance was actually geared towards the 64-bit version of Windows. Many average users will really reap no tangible performance benefits of 64-bit. Therefore, for average tasks and with less than 4GB of RAM...I don't see a lot to be gained from dual booting. Just continue to use 32-bit.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
5) Second OS does not contact web as it is only used for the hardware that will not run under W7, where virus or spyware?
That's assuming person doesn't access the web. What if their hardware has a problem and they have to start searching the web for a solution? Are they going to instead reboot into their other OS, search for some answers, download what they need, and then reboot back into the other OS to actually try out the solution and see if it works.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
<Comment Removed by Dwarf>
Well, if you want to spend the majority of your life with your computer...I guess that is an option for you. However, sooner or later I need a little something else in my life.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #17
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DataMan47 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you tried it in 64-bit ...
It is actually a very old Intel card that doesn't even work in XP. It makes video greeting cards and my Number One likes to send these to friends and family.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #18
Stranger

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
But the question was whether to use 64-bit or 32-bit. So, if they already have a 32-bit Windows version licensed, there would be a cost to getting a 64-bit version of the OS to install. Seems a bit pointless to pay for 64-bit just because you could run it.
32 bit license will also activate 64 bit version, if run on the same machine totally legal, no requirement for a second purchase.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Sure, drives are cheap and so are some people. Tons of people won't spend the $100 to properly license Windows yet they use it every single day.
I assume the person has ethics and runs a legit version of their OS


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Some users are barely able to install antivirus or run windows update to get hotfixes without somehow screwing up their computer. I could never imagine my inlaws trying to take a 64-bit operating system and installing a dual boot on their computer.
Some people should never use computers, but they do, just look at many questions on this forum

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
My point about performance was actually geared towards the 64-bit version of Windows. Many average users will really reap no tangible performance benefits of 64-bit. Therefore, for average tasks and with less than 4GB of RAM...I don't see a lot to be gained from dual booting. Just continue to use 32-bit.
This was about using hardware that does not run under W7, not about perfomance.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
That's assuming person doesn't access the web. What if their hardware has a problem and they have to start searching the web for a solution? Are they going to instead reboot into their other OS, search for some answers, download what they need, and then reboot back into the other OS to actually try out the solution and see if it works.
The 2nd OS would only be to use the hardware that does not run uner W7, what part of that do you fail to understand?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Well, if you want to spend the majority of your life with your computer...I guess that is an option for you. However, sooner or later I need a little something else in my life.
Been there, done that, (I am female by the way, and, sadly to say a mother also), there are other things to life rather than living through your offspring. I live in the middle of a rainforest and trek into it most days... you do what?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #19
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
32 bit license will also activate 64 bit version, if run on the same machine totally legal, no requirement for a second purchase.
Ok, since they are technically the same machine...that would be alright.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The 2nd OS would only be to use the hardware that does not run uner W7, what part of that do you fail to understand?
I understand...but what happens when the person boots into XP 32-bit, installs the driver and something doesn't work? What is the most likely place they are going to go first? I would guess google. But are they really going to reboot into the Windows 7 OS and surf from there, to then come back to the 32-bit OS and try to fix the problem.

Plus, when I dual boot...sometimes while I am in the other OS...I want to surf the web or so something else. I don't always reboot to get into the other OS to do this. I would have to believe others are the same.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Aug 2009   #20
Scotteq

Windows 7 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Philluk57 View Post
hi i'm currently have a amd 64 bit computer runiing windows vista 64 bit
does this meen i can only have the 64 bit version of windows seven or would i be able to install windows 7 32 bit on my 64 bit computer and i know i may seem strange to want to run a 32 bit on a 64 bit but i have my reasons


You will have to do a clean installation to go from 64 to 32 bit. From a licencing perspective, Microsoft make no division between the two: One Licence, One Installation.

Trust you are aware of the detailia regarding address space, and compatibility (Read: If you have a 32 bit app written for XP and it doesn't run on 7 x64, then the chances are it may not run on 7 x86, either.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 64bit or 32 bit




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD Winxp 64bit, Win7 Pro 64bit many error codes
Hi every one, i have this machine which is causing too much headache for me, this machine was having Windows XP 64 Bit, and it had a lot of BSOD crashes, then i just decided that it's the time to make the move to Windows 7 for this high performance machine, since i was not able to upgrade to...
BSOD Help and Support
Cant install 64bit even though my processor is 64bit capable.
Hey, I have searched all over the internet and found no solution to my problem. But considering my situation I am sure there must be a solution so here goes. Short story: My pc says its 64bit capable but it doesn't seem to be able to recognize any 64bit install disks. What should I do? ...
Installation & Setup
Twinhan DVB card driver works in Vista 64bit but not 7 64bit HELP HELP
Hello I have a DVB card called Twinhan 1025 Twinhan company is gone so they dont provide new drivers the driver we have is for Vista 64bit which works well with RAM more or less than 4 GB but in Windows 7 64bit it works with only RAM less than 4 GB :confused::confused: My RAM is 6 GB when...
Drivers
MathType add-in not working for 64bit MS Office 2010 64bit
Hi, Just got into the flavour of windows 7 for a couple of days and I'm lovin' it. Now, I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus 64 bit on my system. Then I tried to use the Mathtype plugin 6.6a, but I cannot make it to work. What I've done so far: 1. Installed MS Office 2010...
Microsoft Office
Adobe Photoshop 64bit freezes on 64bit windows
getting frustrated as since i got windows 7 both Adobe Photoshop cs4 and Grass Valley Edius keep freezing. Edius usually only will freeze for 10 seconds then rectify but photoshop is freezing often.. especially after the pc has idled, and nothing can rectify it, so im losing work help!
BSOD Help and Support
Upgrading from 7232 64bit to 7264 64bit problems.
Guys, I'm have some difficulties in upgrading. I keep on getting the following message, I tried running the setup in compatibility mode, but same thing. I also tried changing the cversion.ini file. Same. Hope someone can give me some advise. Thanks!!
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App