Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 7 for Dell 2350

12 Aug 2009   #11
kpo6969

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theforumboy View Post
I bought Dell Dimension 2350 Pc about 6 years ago and I've used windows xp pro now and I want to install windows 7 to my pc; but I have some questions in my mind below my questions and my system feature below it. There are also my computer's features link because I've not change any part of my pcs.

Windows 7 is better than windows xp? I think: of course
windows 7 works on My system with better performance than xp???????
Can I setup and use windows 7 on my system; but I will setup xp + 7. I think to use 10 harddisk for xp and 30 gb for 7

Documentation

My System= Dell Dimension 2350
-Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2.00 GHz
-384 MB DDR SDRAM (128+256) PC2100 (266-MHz) = I can upgrade this if necessary
-64 MB integrated Intel 3D Extreme Graphics
-40GB Ram = I'm think to use 10gb for xp and 10gb for 7 but if necessary I can use all( I will install xp for my family because I want to seperate os after family sent emails from my account that is hosted on outlook)

I'm waiting for each commment. Thank You!
1GB ram max
Computer memory upgrades for Dell Dimension 2350 Series Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

pci video card only
Documentation

I wouldn't but can be done.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Aug 2009   #12
KazeNoKoe23

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

One of my girl friends has the same type of machine (except she has double the RAM), and we've tried putting Windows 7 on it. It's not possible unless you upgrade the RAM and install a video card. The integrated graphics for that brand of machine is too outdated, and only has drivers for XP. If 7 is installed on that machine as is, not only would it be painfully slow, but your graphics would be stuck on an extremely low resolution, with an 8 or 16-bit color rate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #13
vidman1

Windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 on a Dell 2350

My kids have a Dell 2350 and for FUN just to test Windows 7, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate onto it last night, the only problem I had was the video driver, once I got that by using Win2000 legacy driver it works great. PRoving once again WINDOWS 7 is able to be used on ANY machine, roll that up in your Apple and SMOKE it. Feel free to email me and I will explain any issues you have when you go to install it.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Oct 2009   #14
vidman1

Windows 7
 
 
Try again

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KazeNoKoe23 View Post
One of my girl friends has the same type of machine (except she has double the RAM), and we've tried putting Windows 7 on it. It's not possible unless you upgrade the RAM and install a video card. The integrated graphics for that brand of machine is too outdated, and only has drivers for XP. If 7 is installed on that machine as is, not only would it be painfully slow, but your graphics would be stuck on an extremely low resolution, with an 8 or 16-bit color rate.
Trust me it works with integrated Intel 82845G video card, just install Legacy drivers and select manual install choose the Win2000 drivers and restart... see the pretty colors again...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #15
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theforumboy View Post
I bought Dell Dimension 2350 Pc about 6 years ago and I've used windows xp pro now and I want to install windows 7 to my pc; but I have some questions in my mind below my questions and my system feature below it. There are also my computer's features link because I've not change any part of my pcs.

Windows 7 is better than windows xp? I think: of course
windows 7 works on My system with better performance than xp???????
Can I setup and use windows 7 on my system; but I will setup xp + 7. I think to use 10 harddisk for xp and 30 gb for 7

Documentation

My System= Dell Dimension 2350
-Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2.00 GHz
-384 MB DDR SDRAM (128+256) PC2100 (266-MHz) = I can upgrade this if necessary
-64 MB integrated Intel 3D Extreme Graphics
-40GB Ram = I'm think to use 10gb for xp and 10gb for 7 but if necessary I can use all( I will install xp for my family because I want to seperate os after family sent emails from my account that is hosted on outlook)

I'm waiting for each commment. Thank You!
I recently volunteered to clean up a 2350 that belong to a friend-of-a-friend. (It had been afflicted with the Total Security scareware.) It was running XP, as Michael Dell intended.

Even after it was tidied up, the machine flogged the hard drive much too often. It was essentially frozen during those periods. It had only 256MB of RAM installed.

I maxed out the RAM with a 1GB (2X512MB) upgrade:

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR400AK2/1GR - Desktop Memory

($35.99, with free shipping). I had to clear the CMOS to get the machine to boot properly, but once that was done, the RAM passed a cycle of MemTest86+.

I'm not sure that I'd recommed putting Win7 on hardware that never even had full Vista support, but if you must do it, you'll be much happier if you go with the full 1GB of RAM.

The 40GB hard drive is also small by current standards. I didn't find whether the 2350 supports LBA48 drives (larger than 137GB), but it may.

If you really want to run Win7, the best upgrade would be a new PC. You can buy a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed for around $400. (Example: Dell Inspiron 546, base model, without a monitor.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #16
vidman1

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theforumboy View Post
I bought Dell Dimension 2350 Pc about 6 years ago and I've used windows xp pro now and I want to install windows 7 to my pc; but I have some questions in my mind below my questions and my system feature below it. There are also my computer's features link because I've not change any part of my pcs.

Windows 7 is better than windows xp? I think: of course
windows 7 works on My system with better performance than xp???????
Can I setup and use windows 7 on my system; but I will setup xp + 7. I think to use 10 harddisk for xp and 30 gb for 7

Documentation

My System= Dell Dimension 2350
-Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2.00 GHz
-384 MB DDR SDRAM (128+256) PC2100 (266-MHz) = I can upgrade this if necessary
-64 MB integrated Intel 3D Extreme Graphics
-40GB Ram = I'm think to use 10gb for xp and 10gb for 7 but if necessary I can use all( I will install xp for my family because I want to seperate os after family sent emails from my account that is hosted on outlook)

I'm waiting for each commment. Thank You!
I recently volunteered to clean up a 2350 that belong to a friend-of-a-friend. (It had been afflicted with the Total Security scareware.) It was running XP, as Michael Dell intended.

Even after it was tidied up, the machine flogged the hard drive much too often. It was essentially frozen during those periods. It had only 256MB of RAM installed.

I maxed out the RAM with a 1GB (2X512MB) upgrade:

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR400AK2/1GR - Desktop Memory

($35.99, with free shipping). I had to clear the CMOS to get the machine to boot properly, but once that was done, the RAM passed a cycle of MemTest86+.

I'm not sure that I'd recommed putting Win7 on hardware that never even had full Vista support, but if you must do it, you'll be much happier if you go with the full 1GB of RAM.

The 40GB hard drive is also small by current standards. I didn't find whether the 2350 supports LBA48 drives (larger than 137GB), but it may.

If you really want to run Win7, the best upgrade would be a new PC. You can buy a new PC with Windows 7 pre-installed for around $400. (Example: Dell Inspiron 546, base model, without a monitor.)
The 2350 that I installed it in has 1gb ram and 2 500 GB Hard drives, like I said the WINDOWS 7 OS works speldidly on it, TEN times faster than XP and the only trick was finding the right driver for the on-board video. But if you dont have the option of Upgrading the computer put $60 bucks in and get a bigger HD, the minimum requirements is 16GB for WIN 7, but as we all know minimum is never ENOUGH... We have tried to install WIN 7 on a bunch of different machines and this OS is amazing it works, no driver (it finds a driver and it works, it simply works. JUst try it and work through it, its 10 times better than anything your running NOW.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #17
bagdave

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vidman1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KazeNoKoe23 View Post
One of my girl friends has the same type of machine (except she has double the RAM), and we've tried putting Windows 7 on it. It's not possible unless you upgrade the RAM and install a video card. The integrated graphics for that brand of machine is too outdated, and only has drivers for XP. If 7 is installed on that machine as is, not only would it be painfully slow, but your graphics would be stuck on an extremely low resolution, with an 8 or 16-bit color rate.
Trust me it works with integrated Intel 82845G video card, just install Legacy drivers and select manual install choose the Win2000 drivers and restart... see the pretty colors again...

What is Legacy drivers I searched and get loads off websites offering to scan for new drivers and they all say i am upto date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #18
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vidman1 View Post
The 2350 that I installed it in has 1gb ram and 2 500 GB Hard drives, like I said the WINDOWS 7 OS works speldidly on it, TEN times faster than XP and the only trick was finding the right driver for the on-board video. But if you dont have the option of Upgrading the computer put $60 bucks in and get a bigger HD, the minimum requirements is 16GB for WIN 7, but as we all know minimum is never ENOUGH... We have tried to install WIN 7 on a bunch of different machines and this OS is amazing it works, no driver (it finds a driver and it works, it simply works. JUst try it and work through it, its 10 times better than anything your running NOW.
I like Win7, but "TEN times faster than XP"? In which universe?

It's good to know that the system supports large (LBA48) drives. Or are you using an add-on drive controller card?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2009   #19
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Your machine will run Win7 just fine (I find it runs just as good or a little better than XP Pro did with the same hardware). Upgrade your ram as far as you can go (512 minimum and more is better, Good idea even if you choose to stick with XP). You can imitate the AREO interface using a product called "True Transparency" as your graphics card will not support native AREO.

I currently run it on a Dell C600. 1ghz PIII processor, 512 ram (max for this machine), 60 gb HDD (I would recommend a larger drive than 40gb if you can).

Find a thread on SevenForums about older machines here: Windows 7 on OLD computers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2009   #20
bagdave

Windows 7
 
 
Dell Dimension 2350

I have also installed Windows 7 on my Desktop and as the previous person said the screen resolution go crazy but it can be sorted. I would say it is slightly faster than XP but more flexible todo things. Its my sons PC he is ten and syays its faster. Great extra features for parental control along with the family filterct key then activated it..

I used the same copy of windows 7 I used on my laptop and unticked the activate on internet connection. I did this to get the 30days Trial. As it worked I went and brought another copy and just changed the product key to activate it.

well worth doing better running machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 7 for Dell 2350




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dell Data restore windows seven home premium Dell inspiron n5110?
Friends, I have dell inspiron n5110. It had geniune windows 7 home premium. There was dell data restore option in F8 boot menu option to restore my windows. a week ago i installed new windows 7. i didnt deleted recovery partition on my computer but there in no more option of dell data restore...
Backup and Restore
Amd Athlon X2 BE 2350 from Acer Shows as Unknown CPU
I just built a trasher PC from cheap and or free parts, I got the cpu (Amd Athlon X2 BE 2350 2.1Ghz) from an old Acer and its now running in a PcChips A13G+ motherboard, when i check my WEI scores the CPU cranks out at a whopping 4.8 however its showing as just an "AMD Processor Model Unknown" so...
Hardware & Devices
Dell N5030:W7 wont start. Dell logo + black screen. Factory reset how?
Dell N5030: W7 wont start. Dell logo > black screen. How to restore? Hello friends :D Please could you advise me. My friend has asked me to help with her Dell N5030 Inspiron laptop. She has had it for about just over a year now. Dual-core Pentium, 4GB RAM, W7 64bit. She is not computer...
Backup and Restore
graphics drive for windows 7 ultimate dell 2350
i have recently downloaded windows 7 ultimate on my Dell Dimension 2350 but the resolution is stuck on 640x480 with the generic pnp VGA graphics adapter, i already had windows 7 ultimate on my computer with the right resolution but forgot what graphics controller i downloaded if you know of one or...
Graphic Cards
Win 7 Driver for Dell 2350 Brookdale-G Integrated VGA
Hi all, I have a DEL 2350 that I purchased in 2003. I recently up graded to Windows7 and for the most part it works well. The problem is the integrated Video Graphics Brookdale-G Graphics Chip Eccelerated VGA Bios. Any one have any experience upgrading this machine to Windows 7. I get...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App