Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 started freezing up - getting worse

18 Aug 2009   #1
Harleydls

Windows 7
 
 
Win 7 started freezing up - getting worse

I've been running windows 7 for several months with very little problems. I have a new system that I ran XP on for a few weeks and just decided to give 7 a whirl. Love it, but now after no problems for 2 months, it has started crashing at random. Sometimes it just freezes up. Other times, I get the debug message with loss of GUI. Always have to reboot and if it freezes, I have to power off/on. This is happening several times a day, sometimes at idle, sometimes under load. Never really push this machine. Am not a gamer, just surfing or doing a download or something is all.

Can't seem to get any clues from the event viewer as there is nothing I see leading up to the kernal power lost message.

I run Avast active scanner which they claim works on 7. Did a thorough scan with nothing found. Ran memtest86+ and it passed. I thought it might be heat related but I've got the room cooled way down and CPU is only at 50 degrees C.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Aug 2009   #2
Antman

 

You might want to see some of the testing done here:
https://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...-lock-ups.html

Could be related.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

As more and more move to Win 7 we are seeing more and more of these random freeze up and crashing problems. It's obvious to me that Win7 requires a more stable system than both XP and Vista. I kinda saw this coming a long time ago.

I'm a bit surprized that nobody has thought of running one of the many stablity programs like Prime 95 before they do anything else. Memtest 86+ will miss many problems that the Windows version of Memtest will catch. I highly suggest using it first. MemTest for Windows Download Page
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2009   #4
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
...I'm a bit surprized that nobody has thought of running one of the many stablity programs like Prime 95 before they do anything else...
That's what we have you for Chev65 - to pick up the slack. Good call.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2009   #5
Harleydls

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
As more and more move to Win 7 we are seeing more and more of these random freeze up and crashing problems. It's obvious to me that Win7 requires a more stable system than both XP and Vista. I kinda saw this coming a long time ago.

I'm a bit surprized that nobody has thought of running one of the many stablity programs like Prime 95 before they do anything else. Memtest 86+ will miss many problems that the Windows version of Memtest will catch. I highly suggest using it first. MemTest for Windows Download Page
Like I said, I'm not really pushing this machine at all. I did run the diagnostics included in Win 7. The memory test gave me an error so I removed one card at a time and reran it. They both checked ok so I put them both back in and reran the memory test several times with no faults. Perhaps it was a poor connection. I ran the Memtest 86+ as that is what Corsair recommended. It ran fine.

Since then, I updated the drivers for my video and sound. I also flashed a BIOS upgrade from MSI's site. No crashes since but I'm not holding my breath.

Can you tell me more about the Prime 95? What does it do? Is there a 7 version?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2009   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Harleydls View Post
Like I said, I'm not really pushing this machine at all. I did run the diagnostics included in Win 7. The memory test gave me an error so I removed one card at a time and reran it. They both checked ok so I put them both back in and reran the memory test several times with no faults. Perhaps it was a poor connection. I ran the Memtest 86+ as that is what Corsair recommended. It ran fine.

Since then, I updated the drivers for my video and sound. I also flashed a BIOS upgrade from MSI's site. No crashes since but I'm not holding my breath.

Can you tell me more about the Prime 95? What does it do? Is there a 7 version?
Prime95 is a stablity testing program that helps people who are overclocking get their systems stable. It can also be used to test a system for overall stablity even if it's not being overclocked. If it fails a test or crashes you have a stablity problem and adjustments will need to be made.

There are two versions one for 64 bit Op system and another one for 32 bit systems. You can get them both here. Free Software - GIMPS

I have also written a guide on how to use Prime95 to help people get overclocked systems stable but if you aren't overclocking you wouldn't understand it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2009   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
That's what we have you for Chev65 - to pick up the slack. Good call.
LOL Antman I meant the ones asking the questions with the stablity problems, but I think you knew that. Thanks for the rep
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #8
Harleydls

Windows 7
 
 

The problem seems to be cured. If you are having random crashes or BSODs, before doing anything else, make sure you have the latest BIOS flashed from your mobo manufacturer. Also, make sure you have the latest drivers installed, particularly for the video card and audio. Worked for me, maybe it will work for you, too.

Thanks for all the advice herein.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2009   #9
gamepro127

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Harleydls View Post
I've been running windows 7 for several months with very little problems. I have a new system that I ran XP on for a few weeks and just decided to give 7 a whirl. Love it, but now after no problems for 2 months, it has started crashing at random. Sometimes it just freezes up. Other times, I get the debug message with loss of GUI. Always have to reboot and if it freezes, I have to power off/on. This is happening several times a day, sometimes at idle, sometimes under load. Never really push this machine. Am not a gamer, just surfing or doing a download or something is all.

Can't seem to get any clues from the event viewer as there is nothing I see leading up to the kernal power lost message.

I run Avast active scanner which they claim works on 7. Did a thorough scan with nothing found. Ran memtest86+ and it passed. I thought it might be heat related but I've got the room cooled way down and CPU is only at 50 degrees C.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.
Do a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Probably just a virus, avast! Isent really good and can still let in trojans/viruses here and there (Anti-Spyware built in?...Pff. Sucks)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com

IF it does find something, remove it and do ANOTHER scan with SUPERantispyware.
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Both are free, and WILL remove what they find!
Hope that helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 started freezing up - getting worse




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Comp started freezing, but not crashing. No error message.
Initial problem was noticed while playing a game of League of Legends. I had played a game previously that ran perfectly, then played another and the game would freeze and unfreeze without crashing. The computer didn't go to sleep, nor did I download or install anything since the start up. I...
General Discussion
BSOD/Freezing Playing Games, Getting Worse
Sup guys, I'm not too familiar with posting system problems since over the years I've always figured out how to fix them, but this time I do need help. I was going to post this in the BSOD forum but I don't have the dump files anymore, which were incomplete anyway (more info below). I built...
Gaming
BSOD randomly, started freezing, ntoskrnl.exe and atikmdag.sys
I have a 6 months old computer and I've been getting BSODs for a few weeks now but it started recently freezing so I'm having to type this from safe mode. I tried fixing the atikmdag.sys BSOD but with no results.
BSOD Help and Support
Random freezing started a few weeks ago
I have gone through all of the suggested bsod fixes and still getting random freezing. I ran SF Diag. tool it pop'd up and error but still ran. I have attached .zip - not sure what else to do?
BSOD Help and Support
freezing after i started
Ever since I installed windows 7 service pack 1 what happens is my computer freezes when it starts. So as soon as I log in my computer freezes for about five minutes.. Why would this be happening? And all drivers are updated. System information: age: over a year old Operating System ...
BSOD Help and Support
Win 7 started freezing up - getting worse
Still getting random crashes. I have updated the BIOS, video and audio drivers. The system says all others are the best available. I'll attach the BSOD's from the most recent crashes and some other interesting clips form the event viewer. I have done memory checks with various results. Suspect this...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App