Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Way to automate USB close down?

06 Sep 2009   #1
Imageman

Vista Ultimate 64bit
 
 
Way to automate USB close down?

Windows 7 RC1 7100

I'm looking for an easier way to close down six USB devices (USB external backup hard drives) than closing them one at a time in the little 'open devices' menu. Is there a utility or setting to automate the process when logging off or shutting down? Thanks for your help - IM


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Sep 2009   #2
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imageman View Post
Windows 7 RC1 7100

I'm looking for an easier way to close down six USB devices (USB external backup hard drives) than closing them one at a time in the little 'open devices' menu. Is there a utility or setting to automate the process when logging off or shutting down? Thanks for your help - IM
I'm a bit confused by your question.

Can you make a screenshot of where you close down/open devices?

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #3
Imageman

Vista Ultimate 64bit
 
 

squonksc - Thanks, here you go![IMG]file:///H:/Users/Imageman/Desktop/Snap11.jpg[/IMG]


Attached Images
Way to automate USB close down?-snap11.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Sep 2009   #4
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imageman View Post
squonksc - Thanks, here you go![IMG]file:///H:/Users/Imageman/Desktop/Snap11.jpg[/IMG]
That's why I was confused.

At system shutdown and log off you don't have to close them.
They are closed by the OS automatically. (cache is saved, and flushed)

You can disconnect them from the system as soon as the PC is off, or the login screen appears.

With standby, it's a different matter.
In case you wanted to disconnect a drive, you would have to use the close tool you showed, before going to standby.

But why would you want to disconnect each six of them, every time you log off?
I don't understand.

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #5
Antman

 

Are you experiencing an issue where the normal process is problematic? You don't need to shut down the devices to shut down the machine.

Excuse me for butting in. I type slowly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #6
Imageman

Vista Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Y'all - Thanks for your help.

About a month ago I had a problem here in Windows 7, once after a restart, and another time after a power failure (We have a lot of them here in the Pacific Northwest).

My USB backup drives showed folders, but they were 'empty', no files showed. I rebooted in Vista and in Vista, and the content was there. I don't remember what gyrations I went through, but I finally fixed it in Windows 7, and have been excessively careful to shut them down and turn them off after use since then - IM
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #7
Antman

 

Since you experienced the troubles earlier, have you updated chipset and/or other drivers? Upgraded PSU?

You could disable all caching on the externals.











The following is a meta message: Notice how I am not asking for system specs? Even though I could certainly benefit from knowing them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #8
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Imageman View Post
Y'all - Thanks for your help.

About a month ago I had a problem here in Windows 7, once after a restart, and another time after a power failure (We have a lot of them here in the Pacific Northwest).

My USB backup drives showed folders, but they were 'empty', no files showed. I rebooted in Vista and in Vista, and the content was there. I don't remember what gyrations I went through, but I finally fixed it in Windows 7, and have been excessively careful to shut them down and turn them off after use since then - IM
Or buy an UPS.

It's a power backup that will allow you the time to do a clean shutdown when a power failure occurs.

There are some relatively cheap ones that give you 15 minutes.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #9
Snufffed

 

I think what he has is the write to cache set for the USBs in Win7.
turn that off. and you should not have an problem again... the USBs shutdown when you shutdown the sytem, with USBs an the icon click switch to show all items... move to the top function and click then every usb attached can be removed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2009   #10
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
I think what he has is the write to cache set for the USBs in Win7.
turn that off. and you should not have an problem again... the USBs shutdown when you shutdown the sytem, with USBs an the icon click switch to show all items... move to the top function and click then every usb attached can be removed.
The OP stated he knows all this.

The problem he has, is frequent power outs by his energy provider, after which the cache of the disks are scr*wed.

No windows function other than disabling caching all together is going to solve this for him.

However, disabling cache on the disks will totally cripple them.

That's why I recommend getting an UPS.

greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Way to automate USB close down?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
CheckDisk Automate
How To Fix It ??
Performance & Maintenance
How To Close (But Not Force Close) Program Automatically On A Schedule
not sure if it's possible in Task Scheduler but i really want it to work. Basically I know how to automatically start program in Task Scheduler and how to also force close it. If we want to force close it we just create a .bat file with text like TASKKILL /F /IM "nameofprogram.exe" and schedule to...
General Discussion
Help - Would like to automate uninstallation of ALL versions of Java
We use a remote management system capable of running scripts on computers in the form of powershell, visualbasic, and batch files, and are interested in using this capability to automatically update Java on all workstations. We are already of capable of installing the latest version, but one of the...
Software
How to Automate ASC 4?
I want to know how can i automate the running process of Deep Care. I have already searched the folder, but it doesn't have the Deep Care shortcut. I have to run ASC 4 and from the main menu open Deep Care, and then select Scan and Repair. I wanted a shortcut that goes to Scan and Repair, and to...
General Discussion
How to automate user preferences?
After doing a basic install of Win7, patch etc, I would like to be able to automate many post-install setup options/preferences and i'm wondering what the best approach to this would be. For example, adding specific toolbars, resizing toolbar and buttons, folder options, etc... all the little...
Installation & Setup
Someone automate this for me?
Hi there, wondering if this is possible to create as a .bat file or something here is the code: I can type it in with CMD but I'm running this on many computer so I want it to be faster.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App