Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: how do I change "Folders View" for individual folders

19 Sep 2009   #11
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

I can't count the times system restore has provided a quick and simple way to fix my system. Although I also do a complete system back up every other day. Many times, system restore is simply faster and more convenient to use, and it usually works very well. So turning it off is a very foolish idea imo. If you are concerned about the amount of disk space it uses up, that can easily be set to any amount of space you want, provided you at least give system restore the minimum amount of space it needs. Don't recall what the minimum is, but I think 3 GB is a reasonable number to allocate to it, although I allocate more space than that to it because I have found it so useful. But each to their own.

Also, doing backups only once a month is an inadequate frequency, imo. But again, each to their own.

However, this is most definitely not "safe computing."

I bet next you're going to say you don't use an anti virus program.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Sep 2009   #12
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
I can't count the times system restore has provided a quick and simple way to fix my system. Although I also do a complete system back up every other day. Many times, system restore is simply faster and more convenient to use, and it usually works very well. So turning it off is a very foolish idea imo. If you are concerned about the amount of disk space it uses up, that can easily be set to any amount of space you want, provided you at least give system restore the minimum amount of space it needs. Don't recall what the minimum is, but I think 3 GB is a reasonable number to allocate to it, although I allocate more space than that to it because I have found it so useful. But each to their own.

Also, doing backups only once a month is an inadequate frequency, imo. But again, each to their own.

However, this is most definitely not "safe computing."

I bet next you're going to say you don't use an anti virus program.
I agree with you.

Once a month doesn't cut it because imagine how much is changed in a month.
Every program or setting changed since then will be lost.
Restoring a month old backup might actually lose you more than you gain.

I use incremental backup so it only backs up the changes since the last backup.
For people who like to do a lot of tweaking and experimenting, I recommend Acronis True Image 2009 or 2010.

It has a nice feature called "Try & Decide".
You can switch it on and off.
When switched on, you can wreck your whole system, and chose to not save the wreckage.
At next boot things are back to where you were before wrecking it.

If you are happy with the wreckage, you can chose to make it permanent.

Beats any system restore.

greetz

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #13
nikev216

WIN-7 x64 bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
I can't count the times system restore has provided a quick and simple way to fix my system. Although I also do a complete system back up every other day. Many times, system restore is simply faster and more convenient to use, and it usually works very well. So turning it off is a very foolish idea imo. If you are concerned about the amount of disk space it uses up, that can easily be set to any amount of space you want, provided you at least give system restore the minimum amount of space it needs. Don't recall what the minimum is, but I think 3 GB is a reasonable number to allocate to it, although I allocate more space than that to it because I have found it so useful. But each to their own.

Also, doing backups only once a month is an inadequate frequency, imo. But again, each to their own.

However, this is most definitely not "safe computing."

I bet next you're going to say you don't use an anti virus program.

I use R-Drive Image which takes approx 40 mins to create a backup image of my Windows 7 system. Before creating the image I run chkdsk, then run a defrag, then scan my system using NOD32 anti-virus. After the image has been created I run verification sotware to ensure there are no errors on it. I store the image on a 500GB Seagate external USB drive, not on my Windows system drive, so that in the event my Windows 7 system goes down I simply insert the R-Drive Image boot CD and restore Windows 7 from the USB drive. That image has been tried and tested and is all I need for a system backup.

My bookmarks, passwords, emails, and all my software programs, are also backed-up on to the external Seagate USB drive, I do this about once a week, it only takes a few minutes.

I've used this method for years and I'm quite comfortable with it, doing a complete restoration of my Windows system drive then installing my software programs, drivers etc takes approx 60 mins.

I agree, using system restore is fine for a quick-fix solution, but useless if your hard drive fails.

As to what you consider "safe computing" is purely subjective, you choose to back-up every other day and I choose to back-up weekly, you like using system restore and I choose not to use it. The fact that you seem to be continually using system restore to fix Windows 7 indicates to me you don't know what your doing, in fact I wouldn't let you anywhere near a computer.

Get over yourself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Sep 2009   #14
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nikev216 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
I can't count the times system restore has provided a quick and simple way to fix my system. Although I also do a complete system back up every other day. Many times, system restore is simply faster and more convenient to use, and it usually works very well. So turning it off is a very foolish idea imo. If you are concerned about the amount of disk space it uses up, that can easily be set to any amount of space you want, provided you at least give system restore the minimum amount of space it needs. Don't recall what the minimum is, but I think 3 GB is a reasonable number to allocate to it, although I allocate more space than that to it because I have found it so useful. But each to their own.

Also, doing backups only once a month is an inadequate frequency, imo. But again, each to their own.

However, this is most definitely not "safe computing."

I bet next you're going to say you don't use an anti virus program.

I use R-Drive Image which takes approx 40 mins to create a backup image of my Windows 7 system. Before creating the image I run chkdsk, then run a defrag, then scan my system using NOD32 anti-virus. After the image has been created I run verification sotware to ensure there are no errors on it. I store the image on a 500GB Seagate external USB drive, not on my Windows system drive, so that in the event my Windows 7 system goes down I simply insert the R-Drive Image boot CD and restore Windows 7 from the USB drive. That image has been tried and tested and is all I need for a system backup.

My bookmarks, passwords, emails, and all my software programs, are also backed-up on to the external Seagate USB drive, I do this about once a week, it only takes a few minutes.

I've used this method for years and I'm quite comfortable with it, doing a complete restoration of my Windows system drive then installing my software programs, drivers etc takes approx 60 mins.

I agree, using system restore is fine for a quick-fix solution, but useless if your hard drive fails.

As to what you consider "safe computing" is purely subjective, you choose to back-up every other day and I choose to back-up weekly, you like using system restore and I choose not to use it ... doh!

Get over yourself.
Although I agreed with harpua in general terms, I think the procedure you use is perfectly fine and better than many I've seen.

In defense of Harpua, he didn't know you did smaller weekly backups and about the rest of the procedures you use.

His comment was based on the info you gave "no restore points, and monthly backups."

Safe computing is subjective like you say, because it depends on how much the user cares about his data and how much he enjoys setting up everything from scratch again.

Harpua's reaction was understandable because we see a lot of users bragging about how they never use AV, backups or any kind of security.

But when the sh*t hits the fan, they come in here , and shouting for HELP!!!.

You are clearly not one of those .



PS. A tip:
Acronis backs up 20gb win7 install in about 10 minutes (9gb image)
And it restores it in about the same time.
During restore you can start using the restoring system after only a few seconds already, which is a truly unique feature.

Plus you have the added advantage of "Try & Decide".

Plus you can run the resulting image as a virtual system, and even boot from it!

Greetz

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #15
nikev216

WIN-7 x64 bit SP1
 
 

Hi quonksc,

My method of a monthly back-up works for me, perhaps I should have added that any software I install is also then RAR'd and saved to USB on the same day I install it, and that smaller items like bookmarks passwords, emails, etc, I usually send to USB at the end of every week and this only takes a few minutes to transfer. In the worst case scenario if I need to reinstall Windows the most my system will be out of date is around 7 days, I just didn't think that it was neccessary to add all that.

I have this one golden rule concerning data which is ...

"never save anything on a computer you're not prepared to lose".

cheers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #16
ravichauhan002

windows 7
 
 

i need a good answer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #17
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ravichauhan002 View Post
i need a good answer
Hello Ravi, and welcome to Seven Forums.

A good answer to what????

This?:
how do I change "Folders View" for individual folders
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #18
elbeasto

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

The OP wasn't after a discussion about how good you feel because you use system retore, he was asking why changing one folder's view setting changes all the other folders as well. Or so it would seem....

My guess it that you have tried to change a folder view in Libraries. Libraries doesn't support individual folder view settings. It's a Windows nuance that I don't like either...

Hope that answers your question.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #19
devilmycry4

Windows 7
 
 

use folder properties in option menu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 how do I change "Folders View" for individual folders




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Explorer -- Change how "+" displays folders in the left pane
I click on the "+" beside the icon of a drive or folder near the bottom of the left pane of my Windows 7 Explorer. If the list of sub folders that opens is longer than the distance to the bottom of the pane, the lower icons become hidden. Those subfolders extend "below" the pane -- out of view. I...
General Discussion
How to change "Date modified" in folders
XP used to have several choices of date modified times - such as 'Recently',' Last Month' etc. I only have 'Earlier this year' and 'A long time ago'. This is not helpful! Is it possible to change these very limited options to give a clearer idea of how old the files are?
Customization
Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders
hi, OK, this is a weird one. I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and...
Customization
Change some folders to "Medium Icons" mode
Hello I was wondering if anyone knows how to use the "Explorer.exe" to make sure to change the view of several directories (with subdirectories within them) ONLY. I do not want to change the view of all directories. I would like only 4 or 5 directories (and subdirectories) are visible in...
Customization
Can folders default the View to: "LIST", not Detail?
When I open a folder in 7, unless I previously set it to a specific view setting, it seems to always auto default to "Detail" unless I change it manually. Is there an easy way to make folders default to LIST automatically when I open them each time? Thanx.
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App