Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Full Retail Version of Pro For Students only 29.99

24 Oct 2009   #61
0siris

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by november7286 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by november7286 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen View Post
Recently I saw a posting about digital river offering 29.99 for anyone with a student email address. You had to go to the website and choose which version and whether or not you wanted the 64bit or 32 bit upgrade. I placed the order and then called Microsoft Store to cancel my previous preorder. When I told they why the said they can offer me the full retail version at the same price. I signed up and cancelled my order with digital river.

Here is what you do:
1. Make sure you have a valid email address with .edu
2. Make sure you have your student ID ready.
3. Call 1-877-696-7786
4. Tell them you want to purchase the full retail version of either Home Premium of Professional. Why anyone would not choose Pro is beyond me.

For an extra $5 you can purchase the disk otherwise it is a digital download.

Enjoy a full retail version of W7 for only 30 bucks!

Ok, What am I doing wrong, I call the number. I pressed 7 the first time and called back alittle later and pressed I think 1. I called twice because both times they wanted to charge me $300. First time I stated I was a student and would like to buy Win7 Pro, the guy recommended me to check my university's bookstore for better deals because he wanted to charge me 300. And the second time I called I just said I would like to purchase Win7 Pro and the rep just quoted me 300 straight up. So what gives? What do i need to do to get the $30? Obviously I'm not doing something right or saying something. Thanks for any help
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sfazngiants View Post
for me i called that number 1-877-696-7786 press 1 and wait to be connected. I told them i want to buy windows 7 they quoted me the retail price. then i asked them do they do student discount and she said yes. i asked them how much, they said $29.99. done deal
Just for anyones information, I called back a third time got a hold of a different person yet again. The rep looked to see if the offer was still available and I then found out that you can get full retail version of Pro or Ultimate for $30. So I got Ultimate Talk about being a happy customer. If you get a rep that says they dont have a discount or tells you to go to your University Bookstore, just call back at a different time and till you get someone that will give you the discount. I was quite surprised to find that it was good for Ultimate also. Also just FYI, I dont know if it makes a difference, but when I called I pressed 1 not 7. And just followed the above guys instruction.
hmm interesting.

Although I don't care about Bitlock and 32 language support, Proffessional version should work just fine


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Oct 2009   #62
sfazngiants

Windows 7 Professional- 32Bit
 
 

i'm pretty sure its only for premium and professional, guess you got lucky with ultimate.

You just need a valid .edu email address, no need for school ID.

they email you your invoice with the product key, you go to microsoft store and log into your account to get the download links. I downloaded the .iso file using chrome and after an hour of download i burned it to a DVD and got a driver error installing 7. turns out it was a corrupted downloaded. so i downloaded again with firefox and chrome again and no luck, it stops and downloads very slow at certain point. My suggestion use IE to log onto your microsoft store and click on the download link, then a message would pop up and say something like do you want to use their download manager. download that to download windows 7. File was good and no pausing in between download.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #63
2Cold Scorpio

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by november7286 View Post
Just for anyones information, I called back a third time got a hold of a different person yet again. The rep looked to see if the offer was still available and I then found out that you can get full retail version of Pro or Ultimate for $30. So I got Ultimate Talk about being a happy customer. If you get a rep that says they dont have a discount or tells you to go to your University Bookstore, just call back at a different time and till you get someone that will give you the discount. I was quite surprised to find that it was good for Ultimate also. Also just FYI, I dont know if it makes a difference, but when I called I pressed 1 not 7. And just followed the above guys instruction. Much thanks to Jacen for this wonderful information!
Haha, I was told that I couldn't get Ultimate! Just Home Premium or Pro. No big deal, I didn't really need it; Pro will give me everything I need and then some. I opted for the full retail boxed copy. I'll believe it when I see it if it's actually in the retail box with a retail (and not upgrade key), but even if its an upgrade key and a disk in a sleeve, its still a great buy, so long as I get my x64 disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Oct 2009   #64
hacku

Windows 7 RC 64bit
 
 

Saw this posted on another forum. Seems some people here have been lucky enough to purchase the full version.

Quote:
I was on the phone with MS for an hour (2x) trying to get the deal through them and they would not do it. I figure its just the luck of the draw with getting a rep that can do it, but rather than waste more time I picked up the Pro version on DigitalRiver with my edu address @29.99.

After it DLed I took the files and made a bootable ISO out of them and I was set. I am pretty sure its the full version, since I was able to install it to my computer that only has RC installed- not a retail Win OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Oct 2009   #65
november7286

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 0siris View Post
hmm interesting.

Although I don't care about Bitlock and 32 language support, Proffessional version should work just fine

Very True, I had plans on just getting professional simply for the reason you stated. But Ultimate's another 100-150 bucks pending if you do a upgrade or a full retail if you dont do this deal. The way I thought about it was I was just getting even a better deal, price wise that is. I realize that I probably will never use those features.

Quote:
2Cold Scorpio
Haha, I was told that I couldn't get Ultimate! Just Home Premium or Pro. No big deal, I didn't really need it; Pro will give me everything I need and then some. I opted for the full retail boxed copy. I'll believe it when I see it if it's actually in the retail box with a retail (and not upgrade key), but even if its an upgrade key and a disk in a sleeve, its still a great buy, so long as I get my x64 disk.
Yes, I'll be waiting to see what exactly I get in the mail. Hopefully I'll have it before this week is up.

Quote:
Hacku said:
So do they just email you a download link or something? And Jacen mentioned "make sure you have your student ID handy", why do they need that?
I'm no longer an active student, but I still have access to my .edu email address. Is that all I would need?
I'm not sure how the DL link works, I just ordered the disk itself. I'm not in a huge rush to install it. Just getting the best deal possible is what I was looking for. Yes, I'm pretty sure thats all you need just a .edu. As far as the student ID goes, I wasnt asked for it. Just exactly how is a student ID supposed to help Microsoft to determine whether you were a student or not if they are not there in person to check?

@Hacku
Don't know if you have ventured around these forums at all but I found some info that pertains to your previous post. It seems legit, you might want to check it out. Given this information, I don't know what the difference between upgrade and full version for Win7 anymore. It looks like you can accomplish the same with an upgrade disc and you can a retail, just check the link to see what I mean. Which it what sounds like that happened to the above guy in the quote you posted.


https://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30622-doing-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html
Check this link out for Win7 upgrade information^^^

I'm not tryin to hijack a thread. If you have a response regarding this link, Please post in that thread not this one. Seeing as how this is a different topic.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Oct 2009   #66
2Cold Scorpio

 
 

Well, I finally got my shipping confirmation. Not only that, but they upgraded my shipping method from 3-7 days (which I had opted for because it was the cheapest and a few extra days of waiting wouldn't kill me) up to 1-Day Air free of charge (I assume because it was their fault it shipped late). According to UPS, I should have my copy of Windows 7 tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm quite a happy camper right now; I'm actually getting my order slightly earlier than I probably would have in the first place if it had shipped on-time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #67
0siris

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2Cold Scorpio View Post
Well, I finally got my shipping confirmation. Not only that, but they upgraded my shipping method from 3-7 days (which I had opted for because it was the cheapest and a few extra days of waiting wouldn't kill me) up to 1-Day Air free of charge (I assume because it was their fault it shipped late). According to UPS, I should have my copy of Windows 7 tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm quite a happy camper right now; I'm actually getting my order slightly earlier than I probably would have in the first place if it had shipped on-time.
how long did it take you to get the shipping confirmation? I ordered on sunday and still haven't gotten it (now tuesday)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #68
2Cold Scorpio

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 0siris View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2Cold Scorpio View Post
Well, I finally got my shipping confirmation. Not only that, but they upgraded my shipping method from 3-7 days (which I had opted for because it was the cheapest and a few extra days of waiting wouldn't kill me) up to 1-Day Air free of charge (I assume because it was their fault it shipped late). According to UPS, I should have my copy of Windows 7 tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm quite a happy camper right now; I'm actually getting my order slightly earlier than I probably would have in the first place if it had shipped on-time.
how long did it take you to get the shipping confirmation? I ordered on sunday and still haven't gotten it (now tuesday)
I had ordered last Wednesday (Oct. 21) and didn't get my shipping confirmation until yesterday (it actually shipped yesterday as well) as I said earlier.

Even better, it just arrived at my doorstep about an hour ago. I checked the box and sure enough its Windows 7 Professional Retail, complete with the box that you'd see it in on the shelves at stores. And it isn't an Upgrade box either, its the full version. I'm one happy camper right now.

Looks like I'll have a busy weekend.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #69
Zeonstar

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

I was just going to post and say I got mine too and confirm it is indeed a full retail box but you beat me to it. Very nice deal from Microsoft. I had not planned to get Windows 7 so soon...but at $30, no way I could resist!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2009   #70
0siris

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

aaah man I'm so jealous...

It's gonna be a long week

/goes to check his e-mail. (it's been almost 5 minutes since I last checked...but you never know :P)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Full Retail Version of Pro For Students only 29.99




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Where can I buy the full retail version of 7 -- not system builders
Okay, here's another one: I'm coming across something called 'system builder' versions of win 7. I'm trying to figure out where or if I can get win 7 home premium that I can move from one computer at a time to another if necessary. Can anyone help me? What are 'system builder' versions. Is...
General Discussion
Activating Windows 7 Ultimate retail full version
I have read that a retail version of 7 can be transferred from one computer to another given that its totally uninstalled from the first computer. My friend is going to sell me his old copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for a new build I'm doing. Its only been installed once on his computer and it has...
Windows Updates & Activation
Win 7 retail version
Can I install win 7 full version, on a oem laptop I purchased. I have a compaq cq56-115dx Henry
Installation & Setup
Full retail version of Malwarebytes & Comodo.. anyone using both?
I recently purchased the retail version of Malwarebytes just to see if it's any good. It seems almost mindless how people talk about Malwarebytes but and I have yet to try it. However, the only computer I have that I am absolutely determined to keep for more than a few months already has comodo...
System Security
x32 Only Full Retail
I think that I may have just burned myself. I just bought this from eBay: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Full BRAND NEW/SEALED - eBay (item 160383137739 end time Dec-01-09 08:55:53 PST) I didn't notice until afterward that it only includes the x32 DVD and not the X64 DVD that I intend to...
General Discussion
Win7 for Students not full - It is an Upgrade - Proof
Preface: I purchased my software through the Windows 7 Student $29 program So I just finished doing my Win 7 install on a clean HDD. When I entered in my serial at first it said it was not a valid serial. So i opted not to enter a serial at that time. Now I am in Windows and I tried entering...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:10.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App