Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Move a folder within the appdata/roaming folder to another location?

23 Jan 2013   #21
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

What if some software/registry entry is still pointing to C:\Users\Your Name\AppData..?!

Better use a junction point instead of moving


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Jan 2013   #22
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

appdata is normally 1 or 2 GB. Don't do dangerous tricks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #23
xerxesaria

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
appdata is normally 1 or 2 GB. Don't do dangerous tricks!
Well I didn't mean "move", but use the properties, location, and go via that path, or via shell:UsersFilesFolder to which WHS sort of disagreed.

And my entire post revolves around the issue you mentioned right here: I know for a fact that my appdata will grow to over 20gb in under a year. That is caused exactly by that pesky "the creative assembly" folder which contains the game "empire total war" and will shortly contain also "rome 2, total war". These are humongous games.
While the junction trick didn't work as I mentioned to you last night, I thought of moving the roaming folder. However, if you suggest I don't move it, I guess I will have to live with that fact? Unless I contact Bill Gates him self to show me a super trick!!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jan 2013   #24
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
.....15 minutes later:

I played the game with the shortcut in C drive and the main folder in V drive. I made couple of saves during the game; went back and saw that the game had saved both on the V drive AND the short cut!
So, I deleted the shortcut.
Went back and played the game and made couple of saves....guess what?

I looked in C drive and the game made a new folder on it!!! HAHAHAAHAHAH...it is just so very assertive to do what it wants.
The shortcut on C (actually not a shortcut but a junction) redirects everything to V. Just what you want.
I mean EVERYTHING! So if you look in C:\users\xyz\appdata\roaming\gamename ... you actually see files from V.

You delete the junction.... game does of course recreate it. It's just like running for first time
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #25
xerxesaria

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
.....15 minutes later:

I played the game with the shortcut in C drive and the main folder in V drive. I made couple of saves during the game; went back and saw that the game had saved both on the V drive AND the short cut!
So, I deleted the shortcut.
Went back and played the game and made couple of saves....guess what?

I looked in C drive and the game made a new folder on it!!! HAHAHAAHAHAH...it is just so very assertive to do what it wants.
The shortcut on C (actually not a shortcut but a junction) redirects everything to V. Just what you want.
I mean EVERYTHING! So if you look in C:\users\xyz\appdata\roaming\gamename ... you actually see files from V.

You delete the junction.... game does of course recreate it. It's just like running for first time
Sorry to keep being a pest...I believe you mean to say that the re-junctioned folder in V drive will contain all the saves etc, and the shortcut in C will be a copy of that. If that is the case, then once the "main" folder that is in V gets larger and larger in time, then the shortcut will too. And if that is the case, will the shortcut also grow in size just as a "mirror" of the main folder in V?
So, if in a year, the folder in V grows to 10gb, will the shortcut in C also grow to 10gb?
I feel like a noob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #26
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
.....15 minutes later:

I played the game with the shortcut in C drive and the main folder in V drive. I made couple of saves during the game; went back and saw that the game had saved both on the V drive AND the short cut!
So, I deleted the shortcut.
Went back and played the game and made couple of saves....guess what?

I looked in C drive and the game made a new folder on it!!! HAHAHAAHAHAH...it is just so very assertive to do what it wants.
The shortcut on C (actually not a shortcut but a junction) redirects everything to V. Just what you want.
I mean EVERYTHING! So if you look in C:\users\xyz\appdata\roaming\gamename ... you actually see files from V.

You delete the junction.... game does of course recreate it. It's just like running for first time
Sorry to keep being a pest...I believe you mean to say that the re-junctioned folder in V drive will contain all the saves etc, and the shortcut in C will be a copy of that. If that is the case, then once the "main" folder that is in V gets larger and larger in time, then the shortcut will too. And if that is the case, will the shortcut also grow in size just as a "mirror" of the main folder in V?
So, if in a year, the folder in V grows to 10gb, will the shortcut in C also grow to 10gb?
I feel like a noob
It's NOT a shortcut... it's a junction. It displays what's on V. It doesn't take any space on C.
Even windows explorer doesn't know it's actually on V.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #27
xerxesaria

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by xerxesaria View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post

The shortcut on C (actually not a shortcut but a junction) redirects everything to V. Just what you want.
I mean EVERYTHING! So if you look in C:\users\xyz\appdata\roaming\gamename ... you actually see files from V.

You delete the junction.... game does of course recreate it. It's just like running for first time
Sorry to keep being a pest...I believe you mean to say that the re-junctioned folder in V drive will contain all the saves etc, and the shortcut in C will be a copy of that. If that is the case, then once the "main" folder that is in V gets larger and larger in time, then the shortcut will too. And if that is the case, will the shortcut also grow in size just as a "mirror" of the main folder in V?
So, if in a year, the folder in V grows to 10gb, will the shortcut in C also grow to 10gb?
I feel like a noob
It's NOT a shortcut... it's a junction. It displays what's on V. It doesn't take any space on C.
Even windows explorer doesn't know it's actually on V.
Ok. It is clear then. I was under the impression it is a shortcut because it created a folder (with a shortcut sign) on it on my C drive. But since it is what you say it is (a junction), then I am 100% clear about it now. Great to know and great to have knowledgeable people like you around! I will make the junction again and get on with this :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #28
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I have never worked with the junction points. But if Kaktussoft thinks that this is a safe approach, you can try that too.

I know though that moving a folder with the Location tab works. I have done that a few times. Why don't you just try it as I explained. Take an image before you do it. Then you can always restore the previous state. Or you can just move Roaming back to Appdata.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #29
xerxesaria

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I have never worked with the junction points. But if Kaktussoft thinks that this is a safe approach, you can try that too.

I know though that moving a folder with the Location tab works. I have done that a few times. Why don't you just try it as I explained. Take an image before you do it. Then you can always restore the previous state. Or you can just move Roaming back to Appdata.
Yes. I guess I will just have to use both of your methods and see which works best in my case. I will have to go through this experience. I appreciate the fact that you both helped me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2013   #30
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

And make sure you take an image before you do that. It's safer. Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Move a folder within the appdata/roaming folder to another location?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to move the location of the 'My Documents' folder
How do I relocate the folder 'My Documents' in Win7 Ultimate. When I installed Win7 in March 2010 I moved it from the C: drive (where Win7 was installed and where C: was one of 4 partitions on my No 1 physical hard disk drive, the other partitions being D:, E:, and F:) to my main data drive (H:)...
General Discussion
Lost the My Documents folder when trying to move location
Hi All I know this topic has come up before but answers seem to lie with changing the registery which I'm not comfortable with I just got a new PC with Windows 7 on it (that's what I had before and I like it). This new PC has 2 internal drives - 'C' with everything on it right now and 'D'...
General Discussion
What is the purpose of the AppData/Roaming folder?
I'm running Win7 x64 and noticed I was down to the last 7 GB of storage on my 120GB app disk. I've only got about 50 GB of apps so it looked like something was amiss. I did some poking around and discovered the Users/username/AppData/Roaming folder had 41 GB of stuff in it. 36 GB is in one...
General Discussion
Unable to move desktop folder to another location
Hi! I am having problems with moving the location of the desktop folder found in the users folder in my local drive where windows is stored to another partition. Everytime I finish moving the location of the folder to another separate partition, it reverts back to the default location upon...
General Discussion
When does a file/folder go to AppData\ Local, LocalLow and Roaming?
Under C:\Users\<username>\AppData, there are three folders. Local LocalLow Roaming Then under Local, there's Local\VirtualStore What are the factors and considerations that Windows 7 uses when it determines and allocates a particular file/folder to one of the three main folders?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+