Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: copy whole os to new hardrive??

22 Apr 2010   #11
justcheese

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
Why not use the built-in windows complete PC backup tool? (if you have an external drive you can back up too)

Or you can capture the volume using WinPE and ImageX, which is free.
My understanding is that you can't do this. I dropped my laptop the other and busted the hard drive. Yesterday, I received and installed the new one and when I run the built-in image restoration tool the computer will not recognize the image I have saved on my external hard drive. I thought I was out of luck until just a few minutes ago when I read that Acronis True Image 2010 can be use to convert my Windows image into a format that True Image can use to restore to my new hard drive. Can anyone set me straight here? I've got documents for school that I sorely need to get back to pass one of my classes.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Apr 2010   #12
justcheese

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
Why not use the built-in windows complete PC backup tool? (if you have an external drive you can back up too)

Or you can capture the volume using WinPE and ImageX, which is free.
My understanding is that you can't do this. I dropped my laptop the other and busted the hard drive. Yesterday, I received and installed the new one and when i run the built-in image restoration tool the computer will not recognize the image I have saved on my external hard drive. I thought i was out of luck until just a few minutes ago when i read that Acronis True Image 2010 can be use to convert my Windows image into a format that True Image can use to restore to my new hard drive. Can anyone set me straight here? I've got documents for school that I sorely need to get back to pass one of my classes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Apr 2010   #13
gregrocker

 

Did you change the name of the image in any way from WindowsImageBackup? It needs to be named that (and only that) and placed in the root of the external drive to be discovered by the imaging app.

Are you booting the Win7 DVD Repair console or Repair CD, selecting "Recover using a system image" and allowing it to search while your external is plugged in to see if it autodetects the image file?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Apr 2010   #14
justcheese

Windows 7
 
 

No I haven't change the name of anything. There is a folder labeled WindowsImageBackup in the root. Within that folder there are several more folders containing catalog files, xml files, and a vhd file. Which file(s) needs to be in the root? Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2010   #15
Catbodi

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

First post has good programs used them before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2010   #16
mvnsnd

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

I've used Driveimage XML to transfer everything on a current drive to a new one in an esata external case. Then installed the new drive, rebooted and did a system recover to make it bootable and have been using the new driver ever since.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2010   #17
PeteC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justcheese View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
Why not use the built-in windows complete PC backup tool? (if you have an external drive you can back up too)

Or you can capture the volume using WinPE and ImageX, which is free.
My understanding is that you can't do this. I dropped my laptop the other and busted the hard drive. Yesterday, I received and installed the new one and when i run the built-in image restoration tool the computer will not recognize the image I have saved on my external hard drive. I thought i was out of luck until just a few minutes ago when i read that Acronis True Image 2010 can be use to convert my Windows image into a format that True Image can use to restore to my new hard drive. Can anyone set me straight here? I've got documents for school that I sorely need to get back to pass one of my classes.
I believe that you are not talking about running the Windows 7 Repair disk, that you create from win 7, rather a restoration tool that comes with your new drive, is that correct? If so, that is the problem! You need to boot up with the Win 7 Repair disk that you made (hopefully, you made one when you imaged your system to your external drive?). I have installed a new drive in my notebook doing exactly that procedure, and I am happy to say that it worked flawlessly, as easy a way to install a new drive as any other imaging solution that I've used, including Ghost/Acronis/Paragon.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2010   #18
justcheese

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justcheese View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
Why not use the built-in windows complete PC backup tool? (if you have an external drive you can back up too)

Or you can capture the volume using WinPE and ImageX, which is free.
My understanding is that you can't do this. I dropped my laptop the other and busted the hard drive. Yesterday, I received and installed the new one and when i run the built-in image restoration tool the computer will not recognize the image I have saved on my external hard drive. I thought i was out of luck until just a few minutes ago when i read that Acronis True Image 2010 can be use to convert my Windows image into a format that True Image can use to restore to my new hard drive. Can anyone set me straight here? I've got documents for school that I sorely need to get back to pass one of my classes.
I believe that you are not talking about running the Windows 7 Repair disk, that you create from win 7, rather a restoration tool that comes with your new drive, is that correct? If so, that is the problem! You need to boot up with the Win 7 Repair disk that you made (hopefully, you made one when you imaged your system to your external drive?). I have installed a new drive in my notebook doing exactly that procedure, and I am happy to say that it worked flawlessly, as easy a way to install a new drive as any other imaging solution that I've used, including Ghost/Acronis/Paragon.
I did make a repair disk when I imaged the drive, but even after half a dozen tries or so I can't get the computer to boot from that particular disk. I've only been about to get it to boot from the Win 7 install disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2010   #19
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justcheese View Post
No I haven't change the name of anything. There is a folder labeled WindowsImageBackup in the root. Within that folder there are several more folders containing catalog files, xml files, and a vhd file. Which file(s) needs to be in the root? Thanks.
WindowsImageBackup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #20
LM2008

Windows 10 Home 64b
 
 

Windows Backup in Windows 7 is awesome, create a full backup and system image of the old drive, then after the new one is installed you can pop in the windows 7 dvd or a system repair disc created with the same program, you just need to boot from it and follow the steps. Use Restore Image and it will restore everything, including programs. I tested and did that with my laptop when i bought a new drive for my laptop and all task ended flawless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 copy whole os to new hardrive??




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New hardrive trouble.
Hello. I just upgraded all the guts of my computer and I've run into a issue. I bought 2 of these hardrives: Western Digital WD Black WD4001FAEX 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com and just installed them. Originally I didn't want windows to partition them...
Hardware & Devices
New Hardrive from old?
Is it possible to completely duplicate my current Hardrive onto a new Hardrive and install it, and boot up my computer as if nothing changed? My computer is 4 years old and my Hardrive is dying after a lot of use. Thanks in advance.
Backup and Restore
Very Slow Copy From one hardrive to another
I see this complaint all over the internet and no answers other than for users to look at drives and use Tera Copy, disable windows firewall, virus protection, adjust some settings like encryption, fetch off, etc., get drivers, hot fixes. I have done all those like other people suffering problem...
Performance & Maintenance
I Cant install Mac on my hardrive
I am trying to install Mac on my hardrive but i can't because it wont let me. I created another partition but that didn't help as much. If you take a look a the picture maybe you will know what I mean. I tried to go to disk utilities but couldn't access anything. I know this problem isn't a big...
Hardware & Devices
IDE Hardrive problem
HI all When i put a IDE hardrive into my case It picks nothing up in bois also wont boot on my windows hardrive. The only thing it wants to boot to is my usb with linux mint on the drive has no bad sectors and no viruses it worked before ! i have a msi g41tm motherboard (very new)...
Hardware & Devices
Winodws 7 and Xp on 1 hardrive
I currently have windows 7 installed and i wanted windows xp as well...now i was reading you need to partition your hard drive...how can you do this on windows 7 and successfully have both windows 7 and windows xp on one hard drive? thanks
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:52.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App