Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A few questions regarding windows 7 64 bit...

06 Jun 2013   #11
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Question2 View Post
Yep, the IE change fixed it. Although i can't figure out why IE changes would affect all files on windows....
Windows Explorer is Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer is Windows Explorer.

So, when you download and open a file, it's subject to your internet security settings.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Jun 2013   #12
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Question2 View Post
Yep, the IE change fixed it. Although i can't figure out why IE changes would affect all files on windows....
Windows Explorer is Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer is Windows Explorer.

So, when you download and open a file, it's subject to your internet security settings.
Ouch that hurt to read
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #13
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Question2 View Post
Yep, the IE change fixed it. Although i can't figure out why IE changes would affect all files on windows....
Windows Explorer is Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer is Windows Explorer.

So, when you download and open a file, it's subject to your internet security settings.
Ouch that hurt to read
lol just imagine trying to type it! My brain had a pop-up that was like "Are you sure?"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jun 2013   #14
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Last time I checked Internet Explorer was a browser, windows explorer is not. Windows explorer opens up your libraries.

Not exactly sure what you mean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #15
Dude

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Last time I checked Internet Explorer was a browser, windows explorer is not. Windows explorer opens up your libraries.

Not exactly sure what you mean.

It's a Microsoft thing. I don't know how to explain it, but I knew what TwoCables meant. Yes they are different, but the way explorer handles things and IE are intertwined in windows....if that makes any sense
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #16
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Last time I checked Internet Explorer was a browser, windows explorer is not. Windows explorer opens up your libraries.

Not exactly sure what you mean.
Windows Explorer doesn't just open up Libraries. It's the browser for your files and folders.

That's not why I said they're the same. This isn't easy to explain, so just consider why some changes to the Internet Properties affects the behavior of Windows in general. There's a very deep integration. It's not like Firefox or other programs where it's completely separate.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #17
gregrocker

 

Why would we advise someone to select an option that is clearly labeled "unsafe?" This could not possibly be a best practice. We are a forums trusted for best practices, not unsafe ones.



The default to Prompt at least gives them a choice if it's something they want installed. Malware can execute it unbeknownst to them otherwise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #18
TwoCables

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Why would we advise someone to select an option that is clearly labeled "unsafe?" This could not possibly be a best practice. We are a forums trusted for best practices, not unsafe ones.



The default to Prompt at least gives them a choice if it's something they want installed. Malware can execute it unbeknownst to them otherwise.
Sigh. Because he asked me to? I made him ask me if he was sure, and he asked. That's why. Next time, I'll just tell the person that they are out of luck and then I'll send them a PM telling them how to do it. That way, they're the only one who will have access to the information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #19
gregrocker

 

Even with workarounds, what's important is that we learn and teach Best Practices. The only warning I saw given was that he would get chronic messages from his browser which can't be turned off that it is running in an unsafe condtion.

He also asked about turning off UAC for which I gave him fair warning about the risk. We need to do at least that.

A focus on Best Practices is what makes us the top tech forums on the web.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jun 2013   #20
TwoCables

 

I'm waiting for a screenshot before I determine that he's talking about UAC.

Anyway, as I said: next time I'll just say that they're out of luck and then talk to them in private about it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 A few questions regarding windows 7 64 bit...




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Questions about Windows.old and what to do with it.
I have a huge windows.old file. I don't know why I have it, as Windows was a clean install on this drive, and much of it seems to be duplicates of content files on my program and data drives. I presume that if I make a backup disk image ofC:\ on another drive I can get rid of it. But is there...
General Discussion
IIS on Windows 7 Questions
Hi There: I am having following questions to IIS on Windows 7 Ultimate edition 1.) What is default IIS version (7.0 / 7.5) comes with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition ? 2.) How do I know the version of IIS is currently running on my Windows 7 ? Thanks
General Discussion
some windows 7 questions
I've just got a new laptop with windows 7 home premium. All along I've been running winxp pro on my old desktop so I'm having some tough time adjusting to win 7. 1)Any tips to speed up win 7? 2) Some of the chinese characters in my songs can't be displayed properly. Anyway to comfortably...
General Discussion
Some questions about Windows 7 please
Hi, The information in this thread is very useful, but I have some further problems/ clarifications that I was hoping you could help me with. Microsoft offers free Windows 7 professional to students from colleges registered with the Academic Alliance program. Since hardly any students have...
General Discussion
Few Windows questions
Hi guys, been a long time Mac user, just switched back to Windows and really enjoying Vista and just installed 7 and its fantastic! There was something that annoyed me about Vista though and appears to be the same in 7. With OSX using my dual monitors I was able to select a different wallpaper...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App