Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?

12 Dec 2013   #21
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
That thing (ctfmon.exe) is a nuisance.
It is like malware.

It will use any random event as an opportunity to run.
On my PC, if I disable Avast (temporarily) ctfmon.exe starts!

It is supposed to provide "language support".
Are you using multiple languages on your PC?
No, just default english


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Dec 2013   #22
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

What operating system are you using?
Do you have a Office or Word program that you use?
Something is telling ctfmom to activate. (startup).

ctfmon.exe - ctfmon.exe - Program Information

It may or may not be a infection.

Is ctfmon.exe safe? How to remove a ctfmon error?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #23
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wordstl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
1) If you are using Paint to save your screenshots, grab the lower right corner of the whiteboard area and drag it to the upper left corner. Leave a square that is less than an inch in size. Close Paint while the whiteboard is that size. Then you screenshots should not have all of that white area around them.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

2) Are any of the Explorer instances communicating with the internet?
Resource Monitor > Network tab > Network Activity area.
Here is the network page

It is easier to look at the Network Activity area, but your screenshot of the TCP Connections area shows Explorer making a lot of connects to the internet. That volume of internet traffic by Explorer, coupled with the large amount of RAM (1.8GB) taken up by that one Explorer instance, looks like an infection - perhaps, one in the Alureon family.

You can block Explorer from making internet connections with a firewall rule in you want and/or await input from Jacee.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Dec 2013   #24
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wordstl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You don't really need the ctfmon. If you want to kill it, run these 2 commands in a Run box

Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll

Regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll
when I attempt this I get this message

The module "msimtf.dll" was loaded but
the call to DllUnregisterServer failed with the error code
0x80004005
Looks like you have more problems in your system. Maybe a startup/repair is in order before we get back to the ctfmon

Startup Repair
ran startup repair, it finished and there's no change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #25
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
What operating system are you using?
Do you have a Office or Word program that you use?
Something is telling ctfmom to activate. (startup).

ctfmon.exe - ctfmon.exe - Program Information

It may or may not be a infection.

Is ctfmon.exe safe? How to remove a ctfmon error?
I am using Windows 7 home premium 64 bit and do have microsoft office installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #26
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

Have you checked for infection? If so what security scans have you used?
I believe that a infection is using ctfmom and it's loader to try and call home.

Did you read the sites I post in #22
What Microsoft Office are you using and where did you get it from?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #27
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

See this on Interactive Services ... What is Interactive Services Detection and Why is it Blinking at Me? - Pat's Windows Development Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Is this set to 'manual' in services, or 'automatic'? Click on the start button and type services.msc, click on the gear icon, scroll down to Interactive Services, click on properties, then set it to manual. Reboot, then tell us if you are still having the same problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #28
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wordstl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
1) If you are using Paint to save your screenshots, grab the lower right corner of the whiteboard area and drag it to the upper left corner. Leave a square that is less than an inch in size. Close Paint while the whiteboard is that size. Then you screenshots should not have all of that white area around them.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

2) Are any of the Explorer instances communicating with the internet?
Resource Monitor > Network tab > Network Activity area.
Here is the network page

It is easier to look at the Network Activity area, but your screenshot of the TCP Connections area shows Explorer making a lot of connects to the internet. That volume of internet traffic by Explorer, coupled with the large amount of RAM (1.8GB) taken up by that one Explorer instance, looks like an infection - perhaps, one in the Alureon family.

You can block Explorer from making internet connections with a firewall rule in you want and/or await input from Jacee.
I will try to block it with the firewall but here is the network activity area

Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?-netact.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #29
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Have you checked for infection? If so what security scans have you used?
I believe that a infection is using ctfmom and it's loader to try and call home.

Did you read the sites I post in #22
What Microsoft Office are you using and where did you get it from?
I scanned with malwarebytes and avg free with full scans since my first thought was that is was a virus but nothing came up so I was confused. It is microsoft office 2007 and I got this computer from a friend a while ago so I have no idea where he got it from.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #30
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

Do you have CorelDraw?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Multiple iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
I found this in an old thread "Run either process explorer or Security Task Manager to check what folder it is loading from. iexplore.exe should run only from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe If other path then it is a malware. " Attachment "Task Manager" shows the number of...
Performance & Maintenance
Multiple explorer.exe instances, hogging CPU and RAM. Annoying
Hello guys, All of a sudden, my explorer.exe has started acting all funny and started to hog CPU as well as RAM. Sometimes, 8-10 instances of explorer.exe will be running when i have nothing open! As I am writing this, my RAM usage is at 95%, All i am using is firefox with one other tab open....
General Discussion
multiple iexplore instances in task manager
When looking in taskmgr, I find 14 instances of Internet Explorer running, each using around 21MB of RAM. Any ideas as to why there are so many? If I close out of IE completely, they are still there.... thanks..
Browsers & Mail
Multiple QTTab Explorer Folders - Task Manager
QTTabBar is causing windows explorer folders to appear in the task manager. How do I prevent this ? http://f.cl.ly/items/0P0t2v2u372L1s1H0r1O/26-windowsfromQTTab.JPG
Software
Multiple explorer.exe listed in task manager
Looked in the task manager today and noticed 4 separate entries for explorer.exe / windows explorer. Is this normal? Or does it indicate a problem? Windows 7 32 bit system. Thank you for your time, Steve
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+