Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: N00b to W7 and I likes it, alot!

25 Oct 2009   #1
Squizzle

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
N00b to W7 and I likes it, alot!

Hey all,

N00b to W7 as the title says, and I've got to say that I really like it.

Had Vista on my laptop previously and had a lot of problems with FireFox and Chrome crashing on me and not being able to kill either of them and having to do hard reboots.

A few other problems with certain programs here and there, but nothing major but it was the brower problem that made me choose to upgrade as I like to surf a lot and I was having to hard reboot 3-4 times an hour sometimes.

To me it appears that MS haven't changed a lot on the surface, and I must say that I feel pretty comfortable using W7 already.

The whole thing does feel faster than Vista, the boot time, the start up of programs, and a few other things.

The only problem I've come across so far is that I use a 3 Dongle to access the net, and it installed fine, but couldn't get connection, I kept getting the message that 3's program couldn't find a connection.

But then when I installed my T-Mobile Dongle, and used the 3 dongle through the T-Mobile connection software it worked fine.

Infact I think overall I am getting better speeds than I did on Vista too, but I can't say for definate until I've been using it for a few weeks.

Overall I am really happy with my purchase and don't at all feel begrudged that I have paid out for an OS that is pretty similar to the previous version.

But time will tell though as I know from previous experience that after a few months will be the real test!

Cheerz

Squizzle


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Oct 2009   #2
TheSchaft

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Welcome to Seven Forums, Squizzle, and glad Windows 7 is being such a good experience.

Check out the Tutorials (https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/) for a lot of good information to make it even better!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Squizzle View Post
Hey all,

N00b to W7 as the title says, and I've got to say that I really like it.

Had Vista on my laptop previously and had a lot of problems with FireFox and Chrome crashing on me and not being able to kill either of them and having to do hard reboots.

A few other problems with certain programs here and there, but nothing major but it was the brower problem that made me choose to upgrade as I like to surf a lot and I was having to hard reboot 3-4 times an hour sometimes.

To me it appears that MS haven't changed a lot on the surface, and I must say that I feel pretty comfortable using W7 already.

The whole thing does feel faster than Vista, the boot time, the start up of programs, and a few other things.

The only problem I've come across so far is that I use a 3 Dongle to access the net, and it installed fine, but couldn't get connection, I kept getting the message that 3's program couldn't find a connection.

But then when I installed my T-Mobile Dongle, and used the 3 dongle through the T-Mobile connection software it worked fine.

Infact I think overall I am getting better speeds than I did on Vista too, but I can't say for definate until I've been using it for a few weeks.

Overall I am really happy with my purchase and don't at all feel begrudged that I have paid out for an OS that is pretty similar to the previous version.

But time will tell though as I know from previous experience that after a few months will be the real test!

Cheerz

Squizzle
Win 7 is faster by abt 10%, and a ton more stabile

Nice chick core ref

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Oct 2009   #4
rsvr85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Squizzle!
i never had any real issues with Vista, but i know plenty of people who did and i hear sighs of relief now W7 is on the streets.
I agree that W7 on the surface doesn't look like much more than Vista but in a month or so you'll realise just how well MS have hit it on the head with this one! I prefer W7 over Vista by a country-mile....naturally
I'm glad you've had a positive experience so far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #5
Squizzle

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Thanks peepz!

The whole thing just feels faster, built better, nicer looks, I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that I like the most, but just the overall feel of it makes me feel good ... ha, anyone would think I work for MS!

One thing I've noticed the last few hours is through the task manager I've noticed that when I first boot up the laptop (nothing extra running than when first installed) that overall the percentage of memory used is less than on Vista, but yet my cpu usage seems to be around the 15-20% mark all the time, and yet on Vista it never went above 10% when idle.

Any thoughts on this?

Anyway, I'm off to read the tutorial.

Squizzle
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #6
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

The whole OS has been worked over, given a lot of thought, made more user friendly, efficient, faster, smarter, more stable, etc. etc. The more you use it the more little things you will find that have been improved over what came before. Every time I go back to XP (using it in XP mode (which is very cool) from time to time) it feels like driving an antique car.

Vista was never very stable for me. From the first time I tried 7 as the public RC version, I never used Vista again, except when working on someone else's computer. One of these days I'll get around to wiping the drive sitting in my closet that has my Vista install on it, cause I'm sure now I'll never need it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Oct 2009   #7
rsvr85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Squizzle
but yet my cpu usage seems to be around the 15-20% mark all the time, and yet on Vista it never went above 10% when idle.

Any thoughts on this?
Try typing resmon into the start menu search box and open it up to check out what's eating your CPU.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
One of these days I'll get around to wiping the drive sitting in my closet that has my Vista install on it, cause I'm sure now I'll never need it.
LOL, I'm sure you won't too!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 N00b to W7 and I likes it, alot!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Deleting/Sorting Pictures (I'm a n00b Help Please..)
if you have multiples of the same photo with different names is there a short cut to delete all copies or multiples?
Music, Pictures & Video
BSOD n00b help!
Hello, Ive been getting this BSOD a lot now. It happen randomly, from transferring file from 1 hdd to another, or playing games, etc. Don't really know what else you guys need but i attached a file and let me know if you guys need more important. edit: added a pic of the BSOD not sure if that...
BSOD Help and Support
n00b RAMDisk Question
Hello, My first thread here, so here goes... I have a WD Caviar 160GB 7200 HDD SATA. I see that RAMDisk can help performance by using some of the hard drive space as RAM. Now, here's my question -- is RAMDisk meant for only SSD drives or will it boost my performance with use on a 7200...
Performance & Maintenance
N00b Dump Question
ok, I give. How do I view a dmp file? I downloaded the debugger but I get some kind of error: help? I'm getting a bsod as well (blue, not black) trying to tech it out first though. ;) ..I need a brick wall. anyone have a spare?
BSOD Help and Support
help! total n00b.
here's my story: I just bought an Acer netbook about two months ago. it came with XP and I'm not too happy with it. Not that XP is bad or anything, I just wanted something newer, like Vista. Well, I always have to update things and see new things so it's about time I get a new OS on here and...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:26.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App