Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included

07 Feb 2014   #91
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Good you got it to boot at least. This is really hard to place blame positively on any one thing. IT could be that you board is failing.

I had one that would fail to boot without powering it off 2-3 times.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Feb 2014   #92
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Good you got it to boot at least. This is really hard to place blame positively on any one thing. IT could be that you board is failing.

I had one that would fail to boot without powering it off 2-3 times.
I honestly think it is the board failing to be honest, it is under manufacturer warranty but id be left without this computer for weeks (god damn not living in the USA)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2014   #93
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

No need for cussing.

Yeah I have a mate in OZ who was trying to find a Z77 board and they too are in short supply. He deals with PC Case Gear.
Would you have to RMA it too the US or Japan or is there a vendor there who would handle it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Feb 2014   #94
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
No need for cussing.

Yeah I have a mate in OZ who was trying to find a Z77 board and they too are in short supply. He deals with PC Case Gear.
Would you have to RMA it too the US or Japan or is there a vendor there who would handle it?
I doubt they have an australian branch. Half my computer parts are from PC Case gear, namely my keyboard, my case, my power supply and 2 of my hard drives are from there. and RMA? Havent heard the acronym
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2014   #95
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. It is really only a number issued to send a defective item back. The term "RMA" has evolved to be a noun or verb too. Ex. Did you RMA it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #96
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
RMA is Return Merchandise Authorization. It is really only a number issued to send a defective item back. The term "RMA" has evolved to be a noun or verb too. Ex. Did you RMA it?
Negatory, somethings gotta be sorted out tomorrow cos breaking news!
i can't even play some old games now. Soldier of Fortune II was working fine for the last couple of days and then all of a sudden BAM the lockup occured, and thats practically a 10 year old if not more game
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2014   #97
gregrocker

 

What I would do is a diagnostic install:

Test your hardware one more time from Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

Unplug all but the target HD, wipe the HD with Diskpart Clean Command. Now there is nothing carried over from the previous install that can affect it at all.

Following the steps to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 after actual install to single partiiton, get online to enable Automatically deliver drivers via Windows Update (Step 3) then run all rounds of Important and Optional Windows Updates.

After each requested reboot, test performance to determine if the freezes are happening. Don't install any programs except those needed to test performance fully, e.g. Flash player, a game, etc.

If not then once all Updates are installed, install programs one at a time with time to test performance in between each. This may isolate what is causing the freezes.

If the problem recurs just after install then it is likely hardware related. Strip the machine down to just the HD, mobo, GPU and CPU to see if it goes away. If so it may be a component or cable.

Stress test the CPU with CPU - Stress Test with Prime95 - Windows 7 Forums and Video with Furmark.

Hardware experts may add more steps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2014   #98
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MajorFoley View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
No need for cussing.

Yeah I have a mate in OZ who was trying to find a Z77 board and they too are in short supply. He deals with PC Case Gear.
Would you have to RMA it too the US or Japan or is there a vendor there who would handle it?
I doubt they have an australian branch. Half my computer parts are from PC Case gear, namely my keyboard, my case, my power supply and 2 of my hard drives are from there. and RMA? Havent heard the acronym
It is just thee same as getting the ok from PCCG MF.

Now for a total stab in the dark how about trying this


RESCUE AV BOOT SCAN

Go to here 5Bootable AntiVirus Rescue CD for Windows: Free Download and usefully the Kaspersky one is ok > make a bootable diskor USB stick set the BIOS to boot from what drive you are going to use an itwill run through the machine from the very start of power on. It would pick upanything that is lurking in or around the registry at least.
Doesn't take long and well it eliminates another avenue
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2014   #99
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MajorFoley View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
No need for cussing.

Yeah I have a mate in OZ who was trying to find a Z77 board and they too are in short supply. He deals with PC Case Gear.
Would you have to RMA it too the US or Japan or is there a vendor there who would handle it?
I doubt they have an australian branch. Half my computer parts are from PC Case gear, namely my keyboard, my case, my power supply and 2 of my hard drives are from there. and RMA? Havent heard the acronym
It is just thee same as getting the ok from PCCG MF.

Now for a total stab in the dark how about trying this


RESCUE AV BOOT SCAN

Go to here 5Bootable AntiVirus Rescue CD for Windows: Free Download and usefully the Kaspersky one is ok > make a bootable diskor USB stick set the BIOS to boot from what drive you are going to use an itwill run through the machine from the very start of power on. It would pick upanything that is lurking in or around the registry at least.
Doesn't take long and well it eliminates another avenue
Ill do it tonight.
slightly off topic windows dont come to the front after clicking them on task bar, but the taskbar starts glowing orange,yellow like it does when selected. any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2014   #100
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I don't know about the Windows failing to become active but you might see if you have a restore point prior to the problem.
System Restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Event Viewer won't tell me what's waking my computer
I've got a media centre PC which won't stay asleep for very long (typically no more than a couple of minutes). I've looked in the Event Viewer at the Power-Troubleshooter logs and the vast majority of the wake sources are "unknown" (with the rest being obvious things like the power button or IR...
General Discussion
Computer randomly goes to sleep, Event Viewer says lid closed
Basically, this started happening after I had to shut my computer down via the power button after Windows went unresponsive for 11 hours. After turning it back on the next day, it worked fine, but a couple hours later it started going to sleep while I was using it. I checked all of the power...
General Discussion
Computer Freezes with NO error message in Event Viewer.
Seems like everytime I am watching a YouTube video, the computer would freeze to where I can't move my mouse or anything. Only way I can get back on track again is doing a hard reset. My computer has NO lag issues, restarts in 10.5 seconds flat each time and boots back up fully in about 20...
Hardware & Devices
Event viewer log showing login times when computer is off
I have noticed that my event viewer log is showing successful logins when my computer is off. Is this normal? Does the system ever "log itself in" while its off?
Performance & Maintenance
Computer locks up playing several games KERNEL ERROR in event log
Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 pro X64. Dell support is no help, they just keep saying it is a software issue because their boot diagnostic doesnt show any problems. It quite often makes me do a system restore before i can get back into windows after it happens. Event log says Critical type,...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App