Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included

02 Apr 2014   #121
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

I'd save a backup image with Macrium - Image your system,
then with all other HD's disconnected apply the image using the boot media provided.

You may need to confirm the Partition Marked Active and then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times if it won't start.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Apr 2014   #122
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I'd save a backup image with Macrium - Image your system,
then with all other HD's disconnected apply the image using the boot media provided.

You may need to confirm the Partition Marked Active and then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times if it won't start.
So boot via boot menu with the CD, choose the hard drive i want to image and put it on another hard drive connected, then when i get my replacement, is what concerns me, if the image is backed up on the other drive wont it also need to be connected to apply the image?

Also that sound fix seems to work for a few days before the issue begins again, i think because the hard drive is on the fritz its causing the drivers to be corrupt but just in case, im gonna post this again
ive noticed that when the kernal error happens this particular error comes up in the event viewer too, but then again so do a bunch of others that seem to represent programs


Attached Thumbnails
Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included-event-viewer-3.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #123
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

Apply the image to another or new HD to see if it resolves the issue since the HD was bad. It's possible although unlikely.

If not there are still the steps for a Diagnostics Reinstall I wrote out for you and have asked you about repeatedly without reply. You have not yet done a reinstall, correct? This gives a chance to narrow exactly what the problem is. To go on so long with this without doing a perfect reinstall is wasting time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Apr 2014   #124
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Apply the image to another or new HD to see if it resolves the issue since the HD was bad. It's possible although unlikely.

If not there are still the steps for a Diagnostics Reinstall I wrote out for you and have asked you about repeatedly without reply. You have not yet done a reinstall, correct? This gives a chance to narrow exactly what the problem is. To go on so long with this without doing a perfect reinstall is wasting time.
but i did with that ssd... i did a fresh install of win7 on that drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #125
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

But did you do the diagnostic install in which you stretch out the steps to pinpoint where the problem arises?

If the problem showed up the whole time then it does seem to confirm hardware. But you seem to think that drivers might be the problem so the Diagnostic install can help there too because it gives you a baseline with only the WIndows drivers, then you can try the chipset and select other drivers like GPU from manufacturer to see if it helps.

I can walk you through this so that you have more definitive results than a comment buried several pages ago that you did something similar on the SSD. Or you can continue to work with Gary on the hardware. Your choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #126
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
But did you do the diagnostic install in which you stretch out the steps to pinpoint where the problem arises?

If the problem showed up the whole time then it does seem to confirm hardware. But you seem to think that drivers might be the problem so the Diagnostic install can help there too because it gives you a baseline with only the WIndows drivers, then you can try the chipset and select other drivers like GPU from manufacturer to see if it helps.

I can walk you through this so that you have more definitive results than a comment buried several pages ago that you did something similar on the SSD. Or you can continue to work with Gary on the hardware. Your choice.
I see... Well as your option you think you could walk me through this thing? Although can i ask a favor and say we do it tomorrow? its just im pretty much here for a quickie because im pretty much busy for the rest of the day and the night too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #127
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

If you'll read over the diagnostic install it can stretch out for as long as you want. In fact the more time you take the more likely you'll find the cause - unless it starts off right after the bare install with the freezing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Apr 2014   #128
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you'll read over the diagnostic install it can stretch out for as long as you want. In fact the more time you take the more likely you'll find the cause - unless it starts off right after the bare install with the freezing.
Right, last post. I will try the diagnostic steps again tomorrow, although like i said i would like someone there to help me with it incase something does end up going wrong. The freezing seems to occur randomly but with a higher chance of it happening during gaming.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2014   #129
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

I will be around tomorrow to check in. I've also asked for some fresh eyes on his case since it needs some new perspectives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2014   #130
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Forgive me here, I haven't read the entire thread, but if you are overclocking anything, revert back to stock speeds. An overclock may cause an event ID 41.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Event Viewer won't tell me what's waking my computer
I've got a media centre PC which won't stay asleep for very long (typically no more than a couple of minutes). I've looked in the Event Viewer at the Power-Troubleshooter logs and the vast majority of the wake sources are "unknown" (with the rest being obvious things like the power button or IR...
General Discussion
Computer randomly goes to sleep, Event Viewer says lid closed
Basically, this started happening after I had to shut my computer down via the power button after Windows went unresponsive for 11 hours. After turning it back on the next day, it worked fine, but a couple hours later it started going to sleep while I was using it. I checked all of the power...
General Discussion
Computer Freezes with NO error message in Event Viewer.
Seems like everytime I am watching a YouTube video, the computer would freeze to where I can't move my mouse or anything. Only way I can get back on track again is doing a hard reset. My computer has NO lag issues, restarts in 10.5 seconds flat each time and boots back up fully in about 20...
Hardware & Devices
Event viewer log showing login times when computer is off
I have noticed that my event viewer log is showing successful logins when my computer is off. Is this normal? Does the system ever "log itself in" while its off?
Performance & Maintenance
Computer locks up playing several games KERNEL ERROR in event log
Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 pro X64. Dell support is no help, they just keep saying it is a software issue because their boot diagnostic doesnt show any problems. It quite often makes me do a system restore before i can get back into windows after it happens. Event log says Critical type,...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15.
Twitter Facebook Google+