Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Searching In Explorer Question

30 Oct 2009   #1
phaze3131

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\mypics\travisblog.jpg
 
 
Searching In Explorer Question

Hey guys I am wondering how to get my explorer searching to return Folders and not just files?

Like I am typing in a search of my aim logs for the name "hanna" and there is a folder with my friends screen name 00hanna00 but it just keeps returning the files inside that folder which contain the name "hanna" in the files names which are html files, and not the actual name of the folder.


Thanks for the help!

Travis


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Oct 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by phaze3131 View Post
Hey guys I am wondering how to get my explorer searching to return Folders and not just files?

Like I am typing in a search of my aim logs for the name "hanna" and there is a folder with my friends screen name 00hanna00 but it just keeps returning the files inside that folder which contain the name "hanna" in the files names which are html files, and not the actual name of the folder.


Thanks for the help!

Travis
Travis the default search returns folders, but exact only unless you uae wild cards. I just did a search for a folder named "dell" and it found it. I then renamed the folder 00dell00 indexed then searched again, nothing. I then searched ??dell?? and it was found.

Try it and let us know the results

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #3
phaze3131

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\mypics\travisblog.jpg
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by phaze3131 View Post
Hey guys I am wondering how to get my explorer searching to return Folders and not just files?

Like I am typing in a search of my aim logs for the name "hanna" and there is a folder with my friends screen name 00hanna00 but it just keeps returning the files inside that folder which contain the name "hanna" in the files names which are html files, and not the actual name of the folder.


Thanks for the help!

Travis
Travis the default search returns folders, but exact only unless you uae wild cards. I just did a search for a folder named "dell" and it found it. I then renamed the folder 00dell00 indexed then searched again, nothing. I then searched ??dell?? and it was found.

Try it and let us know the results

Ken

I'm sure that works, and without trying that I know that will be of no use to my searching.


For example, my friends screen name is actually 0x0hannnaaa0x0 but I did not memorize this and nor do I care to memorize it (if I did then I really wouldn't need to search to find it I could sort alphabetically and find it).

But I do know for a fact that it contains "han" so I just want to find and return things that contain "han" and I need the folders too.


There has to be a way to do this right? I could do it easily in Windows XP, and Windows 7 has upgraded searching I read about right?

Thanks for the help much appreciated!

Travis
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2009   #4
tylerorr95

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Try this.

Set Search to Find Partial Matches

1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. Open Folder Options in the Control Panel.

Searching In Explorer Question-windows-search-partial-matches-1-1-468x351.png

**Note: If Folder Options isn’t available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.

3. Select the Search tab in the Folder Options window.

Searching In Explorer Question-windows-search-partial-matches-2-385x468.png

4. Check off Find partial matches in the How to search section and then click OK.

Searching In Explorer Question-windows-search-partial-matches-3-1-385x468.png


Hope this helps solve your problem


My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #5
phaze3131

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\mypics\travisblog.jpg
 
 

Awesome I am going to try this asap thank you alot for the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #6
ashley

 
 

Thanks for explaining in steps and it is working.
Nice
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #7
phaze3131

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\My Documents\mypics\travisblog.jpg
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tylerorr95 View Post
Try this.

Set Search to Find Partial Matches

1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. Open Folder Options in the Control Panel.

Attachment 33981

**Note: If Folder Options isn’t available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.

3. Select the Search tab in the Folder Options window.

Attachment 33982

4. Check off Find partial matches in the How to search section and then click OK.

Attachment 33983


Hope this helps solve your problem
It didn't work, still does not display folders as part of the search...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #8
pacinitaly

windows 7 professional & ultimate 64bit laptops
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by phaze3131 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tylerorr95 View Post
Try this.

Set Search to Find Partial Matches

1. Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.

2. Open Folder Options in the Control Panel.

Attachment 33981

**Note: If Folder Options isn’t available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.

3. Select the Search tab in the Folder Options window.

Attachment 33982

4. Check off Find partial matches in the How to search section and then click OK.

Attachment 33983


Hope this helps solve your problem
It didn't work, still does not display folders as part of the search...
me too
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #9
seekermeister

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Control Panel>Indexing Options>Modify Button>Add Volumes that you want to be able to search.

EDIT: I forgot step 2. After doing step 1 above, close that window, then select the Advanced button and select the Rebuild Index button in the Troubleshooting section.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Searching In Explorer Question




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My Computer (explorer.exe) keeps searching for Drives
Hi experts, im experiencing a strange problem on my windows 7 64bit laptop:(. While working on my PC for several minutes when i click/open "My Computer" it keeps searching for my hard drives non stop (endlessly). I have a external drive Seagate and it runs well. I am able to browse the Seagate...
General Discussion
Searching for files in Explorer
While I like Google Desktop often I need to find files by name. I don't think that's possible with Google Desktop (is it? I've tried to find search terms but apart from filetype: I don't find any). Anyway, if I go to DOS in a particular directory and type: dir filename, it comes back instantly. if...
General Discussion
Advanced (regular expresssion) searching in Explorer
Hello, I use a 12 field file naming convention for all of my Explorer files. Example u_20120131_20120101_20120202_BarBP00_HowRK00_n_e_f_Statement_z.pdf Field 2 above is 20120131, which is an expiration date. I want to be able to search in Explorer for all files with field 2 having...
General Discussion
Searching for way to put shortcut on Windows Explorer toolbar
Hi, I'm a new member, been searching for a way to put a shortcut on the Windows Explorer toolbar as a button. I would think others have requested something like this, perhaps I'm not using the right search words, can't find any tutorial specific to this. In this Shortcut tutorial, it ends with "6....
Customization
Windows Explorer - Searching for items.
Hello, i'm running my Win7 on a SSD and i've done the optimized settins what i've read over the internet. I also use the Windows Classic theme, where i see the statusbar etc. My problem is when i open My computer and then go to some drive(non-SSD) it opens the drive but doesn't show the...
Performance & Maintenance
Searching for files with Windows 7 file explorer
Hi, I have been frustrated by the way the Windows 7 search results 'Folder' information is displayed. I often sort search results by the Folder field but with the new way of displaying the information my sorts are not nearly as useful to me as they once were. Previous versions of...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App