Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7

04 Nov 2009   #11
yanks0826

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot View Post
I agree that Firefox is too high. To me it seems that it is taking up one entire core of your dual core CPU.

What extensions do you have installed? I would recommend opening FF in safe mode (which starts it without any extensions) and try that for a bit to see if your FF with extensions may be the culprit. Do you know how to start FF in safe mode?

You should also consider creating another FF profile as an additional test. I can walk you through this with screenshots if you need the steps for doing so.

In addition, I recommend locating your graphics and network card names and visit those vendors' sites for updated drivers. Windows Update does not always choose the best, most current driver (from what many of the gurus here point out).

I am running FF in safe mode right now and I still get the same results. This is driving me nuts. lol


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Nov 2009   #12
yanks0826

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Try running malware bytes. It does a good job on malware:

Malwarebytes.org

Download the free version.

Install it


Go to the update tab and check for updates

Go to the scanner tab and choose full scan; it might take 20 or 30 minutes to run.

Do you think that will make a difference? I just formatted my HD and installed W7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #13
BeechV35Pilot

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yanks0826 View Post
I am running FF in safe mode right now and I still get the same results. This is driving me nuts. lol
When you state, "same results," is FF still pegging your CPU? If so, consider creating a new profile to test it. Do you know how to do this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2009   #14
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Malwarebytes can't hurt. We are obviously grasping in the dark to a degree.

It is just one way to eliminate the possibility of malware and remove that from the list of causes. It's your choice whether to try it or not. It's an excellent program that you should run periodically in any case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #15
yanks0826

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Malwarebytes can't hurt. We are obviously grasping in the dark to a degree.

It is just one way to eliminate the possibility of malware and remove that from the list of causes. It's your choice whether to try it or not. It's an excellent program that you should run periodically in any case.

Yeah, it's running now. I'll post the results in a little bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #16
yanks0826

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yanks0826 View Post
I am running FF in safe mode right now and I still get the same results. This is driving me nuts. lol
When you state, "same results," is FF still pegging your CPU? If so, consider creating a new profile to test it. Do you know how to do this?

Well, I checked the task manager when running FF and it was up to 50% or so, then I checked it while running in safe mode and it dropped down from 0-5. So, will that cause my computer to run slower? When I run IE, I get a low number as well, but my computer still is choppy. But, right now, it's running pretty fast running a regular FF application.

Go figure. I am so darn confused.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #17
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

If Malware bytes turns up nothing, I would take Beech's advice and create a new Firefox profile. Firefox is generally a good application, but it has its issues just like Internet Explorer--despite what zealots may tell you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #18
BeechV35Pilot

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
If Malware bytes turns up nothing, I would take Beech's advice and create a new Firefox profile. Firefox is generally a good application, but it has its issues just like Internet Explorer--despite what zealots may tell you.
I am a FF zealot, but there are days when I, too, get frustrated with it. Sort of like marriage, I suppose.

What version of FF are you running, yanks0826?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #19
yanks0826

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
If Malware bytes turns up nothing, I would take Beech's advice and create a new Firefox profile. Firefox is generally a good application, but it has its issues just like Internet Explorer--despite what zealots may tell you.
Well, nothing showed up on Malware, so I am clean. Now, how do I create a new profile in FF?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #20
yanks0826

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BeechV35Pilot View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
If Malware bytes turns up nothing, I would take Beech's advice and create a new Firefox profile. Firefox is generally a good application, but it has its issues just like Internet Explorer--despite what zealots may tell you.
I am a FF zealot, but there are days when I, too, get frustrated with it. Sort of like marriage, I suppose.

What version of FF are you running, yanks0826?
The latest, 3.5.4
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App