Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How can i downgrade to xp?

11 Nov 2009   #11
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torres9 View Post
This is seriously becoming a joke now, its not reading any of the discs that im trying to use to downgrade (XP disc and my recovery disc) and To make matters worse its not even detecting any wireless networks anymore even though theyre clearly on and right next to the laptop - and yes they do work as im connected to it on my iphone.

Its quite shocking really that microsoft have made it such a struggle to simply dowgrade to a previus OS. I have no idea what to try now
Sounds like driver issues, not a bad OS.
Don't knock it right out of the box just because a few things are bad.

If you have an XP INSTALL disc, pop that in and boot into, problem solved.

If it still can't read it, then a bad disk or optical drive.

~Lordbob


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Nov 2009   #12
gregrocker

 

Have you looked in your Device Manager to see if any hardware is in error state?

Do you have a windows.old file in the root drive? You can rollback from that.

You can get more specialized install help in the Installation and Setup forum here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2009   #13
tannim

win7 home premium 64bit
 
 

if you use RAID your windows XP may not detect your hard drive without you providing the correct raid driver(same with SCSI). You can do that by having a floppy or something handy.

If you do not care about any data on the hard drive right now, and you know the hard drive has no special drivers required while XP will not detect it, you could have something messed up with a partition. You could use Windows 7 installation disk, a linux distribution or a "Boot and Nuke" to delete all partitions(and everything else on the hard drive), then attempt to re-install windows XP.

Windows 7 method, stick windows 7 install disk in, go to custom install, advanced, delete the partitions. Don't make new ones. When you are done, reset and stick XP in.

To do linux method, download a linux distribution of choice. Boot with it, use the installer's partition editor. Some are easier than others. None are really hard if all you want to do is delete partitions. Delete them, then reboot with XP.

To do the boot and nuke method download Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing burn it to a CD/DVD, boot with it, let it go. When all data is gone, you're good to try to install XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Nov 2009   #14
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

See post #4 for instructions to revert back to XP WITHOUT having to reinstall and lose everything you have installed.

I HAVE used this process and it works fine unless you have deleted the windows.old directory.

you do NOT have to re-install from scratch......
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #15
torres9

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Sounds like driver issues, not a bad OS.
Don't knock it right out of the box just because a few things are bad.

If you have an XP INSTALL disc, pop that in and boot into, problem solved.

If it still can't read it, then a bad disk or optical drive.

~Lordbob
When i boot it up though i get an error message when trying to install it ''Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer'.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Have you looked in your Device Manager to see if any hardware is in error state?

Do you have a windows.old file in the root drive? You can rollback from that.

You can get more specialized install help in the Installation and Setup forum here.
Everythings fine in device manager and i dont have the windows.old folder

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tannim View Post
if you use RAID your windows XP may not detect your hard drive without you providing the correct raid driver(same with SCSI). You can do that by having a floppy or something handy.

If you do not care about any data on the hard drive right now, and you know the hard drive has no special drivers required while XP will not detect it, you could have something messed up with a partition. You could use Windows 7 installation disk, a linux distribution or a "Boot and Nuke" to delete all partitions(and everything else on the hard drive), then attempt to re-install windows XP.

Windows 7 method, stick windows 7 install disk in, go to custom install, advanced, delete the partitions. Don't make new ones. When you are done, reset and stick XP in.

To do linux method, download a linux distribution of choice. Boot with it, use the installer's partition editor. Some are easier than others. None are really hard if all you want to do is delete partitions. Delete them, then reboot with XP.

To do the boot and nuke method download Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing burn it to a CD/DVD, boot with it, let it go. When all data is gone, you're good to try to install XP.
Unfortunately my laptop doesnt have a floppy drive. As for the 7 method, i did try that but i cant seem to be able to delete the partition that 7 is installed on. It just doesnt give me the option to delete it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #16
Tews

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Use a third party program like gparted, or an ubuntu live cd to format your hard drive, then use the xp install disc ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #17
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

OK following on from Tews suggestion above if you download and burn the Boot disk from Partition Wizard, boot from the disk and use the software to mark the hard disk based recovery partition as active. Reboot the machine and the OEM restore should operate as intended.

If you do not have the recovery partition remaining on the disk the Partition Wizard disk can be used to fully wipe and reconstruct your partitions on the hard disk

This should then allow you to use your recovery disks to restore

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to manage partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #18
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi all
I'm not getting into arguments here - all the OP wants to do is re-install the XP OS -- why he wants to do it is his business.

The problem is (and I've often complained about this stuff before) is that you DON'T generally get a proper OS install disk with a computer bought from a store with the OS already installed (I hate the word "pre-installed - even my Bad english says to me this is impossible -- something's either INSTALLED or NOT installed - what's PRE-Installed??).

The recovery is usually based on some hidden partition - which people often delete when they re-format disks etc.

If the recovery system is broken you'll have to do the following :

1) totally WIPE / re-format the disk - you can download GPARTED or a Linux or Windows "Live" CD" for this. --UCBD4Win is a good recovery CD

UBCD for Windows

2) re-install your XP system from a Windows XP install CD.

Now these days that won't be so easy -- most machines have SATA drivers so Windows XP won't find your disks when you boot the CD (even SP3 doesn't have these available).

You'll have to "Slipstream" these into a Windows CD using say Driverpacks and nlite.

You can do this by following these instructions.

Integrate Drivers into Windows XP installation Disc | AgniPulse.Com

Build the bootable ISO using nlite - you can google for that -- I'm not doing 100% of the work .

Incidentally I do think manufacturers should give you the Microsoft installation DVD - especially as you've already paid for the windows license. They could always install the ISO image on the disk which you could burn to your own DVD if they are "cost cutting".

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2009   #19
Sbrideau

Windows 10 Pro / OpenSUSE
 
 

Edit: I see I missed a page, dismiss that post if you want.

Try booting with them as I have already said? You also have to make sure the boot order in BIOS is set to the cd drive before the hard drive.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sbrideau View Post
Have you tried booting the computer with the cd already in it so it doesn't go to your already installed Windows?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #20
drewpul

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Signature Edition
 
 

Thats a shame that you are going back to XP, yes it might be faster in some instances but Im sure you'll grow to love some of Win 7's features after a couple of weeks.

Good luck though in your downgrading
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How can i downgrade to xp?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to downgrade from IE9 to IE8?
Damn microsoft and their IE9 in critical automatic windows updates, that was a nasty move. I have downloaded IE8 from microsoft site but it refuses to install on seven. I don't find IE8 for Win7 anywhere
Browsers & Mail
Downgrade help
Hey guys. I am giving up on Windows 7. I have an XP disk and I put it in but it won't allow me to install XP. If I delete system32 and then put the XP disk in would it work? If not what do I do?
Installation & Setup
Trying To Downgrade To XP
I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate, and I want to downgrade back to Windows XP. I lost my XP disk but I have an .iso that I backed up (Still have my serial key). But when I run setup.exe from the .iso its shaded out where it says "Install Windows XP." How do I reinstall Windows XP from an .iso...
Installation & Setup
Downgrade
Hi, Using 7 Pro but really do feel XP SP3 is way better. I was wondering how hard it is to downgrade, if no, I'd love to have additional details. Regards
Installation & Setup
downgrade from RC
The release candidate I am using is Windows Ultimate. When I purchase Win 7 I will get the home premium. Will I have any issues installing the home premium? I guess if I do a backup, then a clean install, everything should be fine?? Thanks!
Installation & Setup
64 to 32 bit downgrade
I currently have vista ultimate 64 bit, and I own a windows 7 professional 32 bit thanks to my university. can I install the 32 bit version of windows 7 over my current 64 bit version of windows ultimate? will I need to do a clean install or will it just upgrade? also just checking that...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App