Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Technical hitch with partitions

13 Nov 2009   #1
awrightUK

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Technical hitch with partitions

Hi,

Having successfully done lots of partitioning on our 2 Acer Timeline laptops (with Partition Wizard 4.2) I tried to do the same with our HP Pavilion laptop. I have not had a blue screen since using Win2000, but when Partition Wizard had finished its tasks, that's what I got .

Luckily the machine seemed to boot so I hope everything will be fine but I noticed that my reserved system partition was 200mb rather than the 100mb on the other two machines. Seeing as only 25mb is used, that seemed rather a waste of space.

I loaded the Windows Disk Manager and thought it would be a good idea to reduce the partition to 100mb but then I immediately got 100mb of unallocated space sitting between the reserved system partition and the OS partition.

"No problem" I thought as I had not committed any changes. Wrong! On subsequently viewing the disks in both Windows Disk Manager & Partition Wizard I still have unallocated space that I can't seem to do anything with. What is even more confusing is that when I look at the properties of the reserved partition, it still shows 200mb, but that's not what the disk manager shows in it's graphical representation of the drives.

So my questions are:

a) Should I have not tried to reduce the 200mb to 100mb and is this likely to cause any problems?

b) How can I re-allocate the space somewhere? Even in Partition Wizard I can't seem to do anything with it and that includes trying to extend the reserved system partition back into it.

I am a bit nervous now as I don't want to corrupt the reserved system partition in case the whole thing stops booting.

Andrew


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Nov 2009   #2
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi Andrew,

Please post a screenshot of Disk Management main window, and PW main window.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #3
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awrightUK View Post
Hi,

Having successfully done lots of partitioning on our 2 Acer Timeline laptops (with Partition Wizard 4.2) I tried to do the same with our HP Pavilion laptop. I have not had a blue screen since using Win2000, but when Partition Wizard had finished its tasks, that's what I got .

Luckily the machine seemed to boot so I hope everything will be fine but I noticed that my reserved system partition was 200mb rather than the 100mb on the other two machines. Seeing as only 25mb is used, that seemed rather a waste of space.

I loaded the Windows Disk Manager and thought it would be a good idea to reduce the partition to 100mb but then I immediately got 100mb of unallocated space sitting between the reserved system partition and the OS partition.

"No problem" I thought as I had not committed any changes. Wrong! On subsequently viewing the disks in both Windows Disk Manager & Partition Wizard I still have unallocated space that I can't seem to do anything with. What is even more confusing is that when I look at the properties of the reserved partition, it still shows 200mb, but that's not what the disk manager shows in it's graphical representation of the drives.

So my questions are:

a) Should I have not tried to reduce the 200mb to 100mb and is this likely to cause any problems?

b) How can I re-allocate the space somewhere? Even in Partition Wizard I can't seem to do anything with it and that includes trying to extend the reserved system partition back into it.

I am a bit nervous now as I don't want to corrupt the reserved system partition in case the whole thing stops booting.

Andrew
Andrew;

It does not sound like you have damaged anything so I think you can relax a bit. The default Windows Disk Management software has one limitation: You cannot extend a partition to the LEFT. So you will need to use other software (like the Partition Wizard you mentioned) to use the now unallocated 100MB. My Win 7 Beta installed a 200MB partition, but the RC 7 only used 100MB and as you noted only about 25MB is actually used. It will not hurt anything to leave it like it is.

You say Partition Wizard cannot manage the 100MB? Maybe it is too small? I would suggest if you just have to have it, you could shrink the OS partition leaving the unallocated space at the front of the partition, then extend it using all the unallocated space?

You might try other software. Acronis is well liked by some here. I have success using Gparted and there is a tutorial for that under my sig.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Nov 2009   #4
awrightUK

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Here is the Windows one. PW shows exactly the same:

Technical hitch with partitions-capture1.jpg

What I need to do is somehow move the 82mb shown as unallocated and add it to one of the other partitions. I can't even seem to get it back how it was in the first place either!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #5
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

What would you like to do?

Are you trying to get rid of the 100mb altogether - I haven't got one.

OR do you want to extend C 100mb to the Left?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #6
awrightUK

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
What would you like to do?

Are you trying to get rid of the 100mb altogether - I haven't got one.

OR do you want to extend C 100mb to the Left?
I thought the 100mb reserved partition was a "must keep" so just extend C to the left I think.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2009   #7
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

OK . You shouldn't have any trouble doing that by booting PW cd.

It will warn you that you won't be able to boot after moving the start sector of that partition.

That is corrrect. You just need to run startup repair from the 7 dvd afterwards. That will update the bcd entry for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #8
awrightUK

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
OK . You shouldn't have any trouble doing that by booting PW cd.

It will warn you that you won't be able to boot after moving the start sector of that partition.
Is this why the instructions for PW cd specifically note that you should not use it to move a system partition?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
You just need to run startup repair from the 7 dvd afterwards. That will update the bcd entry for you.
Unfortunately I have no Win7 dvd as it was all pre-installed on the laptop. All I have now is a set of recovery DVDs.

I should have just left it alone shouldn't I!

Andrew
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #9
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Quote:
Is this why the instructions for PW cd specifically note that you should not use it to move a system partition?
Yes - if you change the start of an o/s partition - bootmgr won't find it, unless you also update the bcd entry.

That is easily done via startup repair, or the command prompt.

Probably a good idea to get a proper Win 7 dvd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #10
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awrightUK View Post
Unfortunately I have no Win7 dvd as it was all pre-installed on the laptop. All I have now is a set of recovery DVDs.
Andrew;

If you have a CD / DVD burner, Windows 7 will create and burn a bootable "System Repair Disk" you can use to follow SIW2's instructions.


Technical hitch with partitions-start_repair_cd.png


.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Technical hitch with partitions




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to Ask a Question When You Want Technical Help
Source A Guy ;)
Chillout Room
How to create home partitions and partitions for the OS with programs?
Hello, One of my friends has a windows 7 computer with an account for himself, his mother and his 2 sisters. All the home directorys are stored in drive C. Partition D is shared. The question is, how to get a partition layout like this? Partition 1: OS + programs Partition 2: home partition...
Installation & Setup
really have technical difficulties
really have technical difficulties , i have run the sfc scannow and 1st time it was 100% good went ahead and ran it again and it had some corrupt couldnt repair files , but when i copy and paste to get the txt file it says ... FINDSTR: Cannot open swanner\desktop\sfcdetails.txt it seems like more...
General Discussion
Please help me get some sense from Windows technical
I have a computer which came with Vista. I bought the Windows 7 Upgrade disk and when I did the installation it came up "invalid product key". After several false starts, transferrings to nowhere and people telling me the problem must be that I typed it wrong/used the caps lock key, I got through...
Installation & Setup
Need Technical Input Migrating from XP to 7
Hello, I purchased a new laptop with Windows 7 (64 bits). My old laptop is running Windows XP home edition. I need technical input with the following subjects: 1. to understand how to properly convert the contents on My Documents folder from Windows XP to Windows 7. I transferred My...
Installation & Setup
Tell us what you think about Office 2010 (Technical Pre
More...
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App