Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Do all comps with vista get to upgrade to 7?

14 Nov 2009   #1
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 
Do all comps with vista get to upgrade to 7?

Ok I've got to go to my uncles to fix his comp tomorrow as it's riddled with viruses.

He's currently running vista on a Dell computer he bought within the last year or so.

Is he eligble for the free 7 upgrade? If so how do I go about dong it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Nov 2009   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

If you mean a free upgrade from Dell, I don't know, but would guess he would have had to buy the Dell within the last few months, maybe back to the summer. He should have been told he was eligible for a free upgrade if he is.

It's a near certainty his computer can run Windows 7. If he isn't eligible for anything free from Dell, you will have to buy it. Replacing the OS would probably void the Dell warranty.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #3
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
Ok I've got to go to my uncles to fix his comp tomorrow as it's riddled with viruses.

He's currently running vista on a Dell computer he bought within the last year or so.

Is he eligble for the free 7 upgrade? If so how do I go about dong it?
Try this.

https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Nov 2009   #4
poin2

Windows7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
Ok I've got to go to my uncles to fix his comp tomorrow as it's riddled with viruses.

He's currently running vista on a Dell computer he bought within the last year or so.

Is he eligble for the free 7 upgrade? If so how do I go about dong it?
Likely not. It's only for some models purchased since June 26, 2009 with Vista Home Premium and up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #5
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

That kinda sucks, but oh well.

If he doesn't have the orginal vista cd to format & reinstall, (which he probably does but I don't know 100% yet, what's the best way to reset his system?

Also will Microsoft security essentials be good for the vista platform?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #6
ZeshanA

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
That kinda sucks, but oh well.

If he doesn't have the orginal vista cd to format & reinstall, (which he probably does but I don't know 100% yet, what's the best way to reset his system?

Also will Microsoft security essentials be good for the vista platform?
Probably not Johnny as MSE is not a very Centralised AV and it's not comparable to other Commercial AV's. I recommend you install Windows Defender from here Download details: Windows® Defender (Free but you need to have a Genuine PC), and Avast! Home Edition from here: Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition (Free, Paid Pro version available but Home Version is all you need). You might also want to install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware from here: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com (One of the best free Virus Scanners around).

ZeshanA

If a user helps you, please REP them!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #7
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ZeshanA View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyScience View Post
That kinda sucks, but oh well.

If he doesn't have the orginal vista cd to format & reinstall, (which he probably does but I don't know 100% yet, what's the best way to reset his system?

Also will Microsoft security essentials be good for the vista platform?
Probably not Johnny as MSE is not a very Centralised AV and it's not comparable to other Commercial AV's. I recommend you install Windows Defender from here Download details: Windows® Defender (Free but you need to have a Genuine PC), and Avast! Home Edition from here: Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition (Free, Paid Pro version available but Home Version is all you need). You might also want to install MalwareBytes Anti-Malware from here: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com (One of the best free Virus Scanners around).

ZeshanA

If a user helps you, please REP them!
I disagree, MSE is a great product for what it is. Nothing fancy about it, it gets the job done.

As for Windows defender, doesn't that come standard with XP SP3, Vista and 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #8
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

why is MSE good for 7, but not for vista?

Aren't they a very similar OS? (obviously with 7 being better)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #9
JohnnyScience

Windows 7 64 & Ubuntu 64
 
 

Ok I'm here redoing the computer now. I couldnt even do a system restore through the vista option because he had so much junk on his computer so I just formated & reinstalled vista.

So what programs should I install for virus? There seems to be conflicting answers right now.

Should I go with MSE?

That covers it all at once doesnt it? Virus, malware & spyware?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2009   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

MSE seems to have a pretty good rep, but it is new. Make sure you have the Vista firewall turned on. I don't know how well MSE would be as a single app for virus, malware, and spyware. I still use an antivirus, Spybot, Spyware Blaster, and Malwarebytes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Do all comps with vista get to upgrade to 7?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
cannot share files over 2 comps
i have a laptop(win 7) and desktop (xp) connected through a router. i have previously connected the both to transver files but it is not working. i am guessing because Network Discovery is refuseing to stay on! i have gone though countless forums, all relevent serveices are on and...
Network & Sharing
Vista to 7 upgrade (download Vista updates?)
Hi. I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM (with free Windows 7 upgrade). I want to reformat the computer. After installing Vista, do I need to download Vista updates, before installing Windows 7? Or just immediately install Windows 7 after Vista? Also, how often do you do a fresh...
Installation & Setup
BSOD, yep it does happen even on new comps
here is what I got while just watching youtube, the screen suddenly goes blank and the monitor turns off like in stand by mode, sound is still on but then after like 10 seconds it shuts off. LEDs and fans stay on, I have to manually press and hold the power button to shut it off, after booting it...
BSOD Help and Support
2 comps, 1 router, only 1 can connect.
Hi guys, first time poster here. I apologize if it is not as detailed as it ought to be. So here's my problem... Me and my girlfriend just moved into a new apartment, woo. Nice. Anyways we both use our computers heavily in our daily routine. My job during this holiday was to set the router...
Network & Sharing
2 comps + Transcend ext hdd = problems
The description is a bit long, so I apologize for it in advance. My desktop is Win 7 Home Prm upgrade from Vista. Intel quad, 4gb RAM. My laptop is Win 7 Home Prm OEM. Intel Duo, 4 gb RAM. My new external HDD is Transcend 500gb25M. I try desktop install first. Won't recognize it. I finally...
Hardware & Devices
Installing Windows Seven on another comps. HD
Basically I have a computer w/o a dvd player that I want to install windows 7 on. I figured I would take out the HD put it into a portable adapter I have and just install 7 from my other comp. The only thing that's stopping me is the thought that the installation machine will think that 7 is "a...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App