Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading to SSD

15 Jul 2016   #11
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Hmmm.....two recovery partitions. I can't recall seeing that before. May not matter or be an issue.

You say "all partitions were selected". I assume you do NOT mean E was included?

Will your PC in fact boot from that recovery media you made?

If it will, and ALL partitions on disc 0 are included in that single image file you made, then I'd say you've done about all you can do.

It should restore. It may not. You'll never know for sure until you try it. If it goes up in flames, be prepared to do a clean install even though you don't want to do that.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jul 2016   #12
ComputerNoob407

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Yes, the 'E' drive is the external backup. Can I test the marcrium boot USB by booting from and and exiting the PE environment?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #13
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ComputerNoob407 View Post
Can I test the marcrium boot USB by booting from and and exiting the PE environment?
Why "test" it?

As I understand it, you want to restore that image to an SSD.

See if you can do that.

If you cannot for whatever reason, you don't need a separate "test" to tell you something is wrong.

It isn't enough that the recovery media will boot. You need to know if you can restore. You won't know until you try to do exactly that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2016   #14
ComputerNoob407

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Well...um what I'm asking is....can I put the SSD in an external enclosure attached to SATA cable from usb and goto into the PE enoviroment and restore from there? I don't want to take apart my laptop again just to find out the rescue usb or image isn't working...sorry for the confusion. First time I took the bottom cover off I broke 4 tabs near the hinge, and there are some plastic pieces scattered inside, and i've taken the bottom cover off about 4 more times because the first two clones didn't work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #15
torchwood

W7 home premium 32bit/W7HP 64bit/w10 tp insider ring
 
 

note to all
the replacement SSD is SMALLER than the original drive 1t >> 500GB.

Roy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #16
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ComputerNoob407 View Post
Well...um what I'm asking is....can I put the SSD in an external enclosure attached to SATA cable from usb and goto into the PE enoviroment and restore from there? I don't want to take apart my laptop again just to find out the rescue usb or image isn't working...sorry for the confusion.
I have no idea. I don't use externals or enclosures.

You won't know squat until you try it.

Aren't you going to have to take your laptop apart sooner or later anyway, even if you can restore to an SSD in an enclosure? How else would you eventually get the SSD into the laptop?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #17
ComputerNoob407

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
note to all
the replacement SSD is SMALLER than the original drive 1t >> 500GB.

Roy
I don't think I mention that sorry, my current hard is a 1 tb capacity and the SSD is 500 gb capacity (which I want to transfer). The image created from macrium reflect shows around 320 gb used space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #18
ComputerNoob407

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ComputerNoob407 View Post
Well...um what I'm asking is....can I put the SSD in an external enclosure attached to SATA cable from usb and goto into the PE enoviroment and restore from there? I don't want to take apart my laptop again just to find out the rescue usb or image isn't working...sorry for the confusion.
I have no idea. I don't use externals or enclosures.

You won't know squat until you try it.

Aren't you going to have to take your laptop apart sooner or later anyway, even if you can restore to an SSD in an enclosure? How else would you eventually get the SSD into the laptop?
I think I know what your saying. If I restore the image on the SSD in a external enclosure attached to SATA from usb, even though the image restore was successful, I still have to take the cover off to replace the current one. But while the SSD is still in the enclosure, can I boot off that while the current HD is still inside the laptop to be sure it works fine, or will that cause boot problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #19
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

To belabor the point yet again: you won't know squat until you try it.

Nothing matters until and unless you can get the SSD working properly with the restored image when the SSD is installed inside the laptop. Why concern yourself with something else? Why insert unnecessary steps and hardware such as enclosures?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #20
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ComputerNoob407 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
note to all
the replacement SSD is SMALLER than the original drive 1t >> 500GB.

Roy
I don't think I mention that sorry, my current hard is a 1 tb capacity and the SSD is 500 gb capacity (which I want to transfer). The image created from macrium reflect shows around 320 gb used space.
Not much room to grow
ssd's need additional space to write to because of trim unlike hdd's which is I believe 10-20% of the ssd space.

You should clean install and use the hdd or another one for your personal files
Just install windows and programs on the ssd.
If you have games you can install them on the hdd along with personal files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading to SSD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
When upgrading from XP to Win 7
Hi, I currently have a company laptop with *gulp* windows XP. I have administrator access to install programs, but I would need admin network login rights to add a computer to a domain. My question is, if I was to upgrade from win XP to win7, would all the network configurations remain, inc....
Installation & Setup
upgrading need help
i want to buy a Intel i5 2500k and ram GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) now can i upgrade to Intel i7 2600k core &RAM 8GB (2x4GB) later on down the line? and for that matter the mb and VGA? thank you
Hardware & Devices
Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit
Since I stumbled upon the fact that I had 4 gigabytes of RAM, I want to switch over to the 64-bit version of win7. However I've got a large amount of media files I don't want to delete (these are all stored on a separate partition on my HD). My question is, can I avoid deleting this partition...
Installation & Setup
Upgrading from XP
As previously announced, Laplink has released a new version of their previous PC Mover product that allows for in-place upgrades from XP to Windows 7. Yeah, I know we generally advise AGAINST this, but for the adventurous, this might be worth trying. The link to their site follows: ...
Installation & Setup
W7 Upgrading CD
I am supposed to receive the W7 upgrade CD today!!!!!!!!:huh: I understand that when I run the upgrade that Vista will be removed and everything will be wonderful.:D:D I have a backup of Vista.:sarc::sarc: Since I will receive a license with the upgrade and if for some unknown phenominum I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App