Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do I restore my File Permissions?

29 Dec 2016   #21
FirstShirt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

By the way, I can't embed a screen shot via "Go Advanced." When I click the paperclip icon there is no drop down menu or anything else. Dead Icon? I'm using current version of Firefox.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Dec 2016   #22
Lance1

Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FirstShirt View Post
By the way, I can't embed a screen shot via "Go Advanced." When I click the paperclip icon there is no drop down menu or anything else. Dead Icon? I'm using current version of Firefox.
What paperclip icon? When you click Go Advanced you then scroll down and click Manage Attachments. Now click the Browse button and go to your image file and select it and then click Upload. The image will be displayed in your post.

By the way as per your File Permissions issue. Have you tried taking ownership and then taking full control?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2016   #23
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

All explained here ...

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

@FirstShirt

I think there may be some issues with some of the browsers I know Edge has a problem, Chrome is hit and miss. IE and Firefox are fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2016   #24
Lance1

Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
All explained here ...

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

@FirstShirt

I think there may be some issues with some of the browsers I know Edge has a problem, Chrome is hit and miss. IE and Firefox are fine
The OP clicks the paperclip and nothing happens on the OP's end. That's why I pointed to Manage Attachments as another avenue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2016   #25
FirstShirt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

When I place mouse over "Manage Attachments" button it highlights the icon. When I left click on the "Manage Attachments" button it does not open. Other clickable links like, [More] under the "Smiles" selection area to the right side of the post screen do not function, either. But, I give up. Let's call this issue resolved. I just won't post any visual aids to illustrate my point.

My real issue remains this: Write permissions. . . When I open My Computers and Right Click on C:\ drive, then select "Security" tab the Special Permissions check box is Ghosted Out. I can not select it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2017   #26
FirstShirt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

I suppose a resolution to this "File Permissions" problem is not forthcoming.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2017   #27
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Could you complete this tutorial by Brink. Share the results.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jan 2017   #28
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FirstShirt View Post
When I place mouse over "Manage Attachments" button it highlights the icon. When I left click on the "Manage Attachments" button it does not open. Other clickable links like, [More] under the "Smiles" selection area to the right side of the post screen do not function, either. But, I give up. Let's call this issue resolved. I just won't post any visual aids to illustrate my point.
I get that problem with some types of script blocker enabled. Also if you are using something like VoodooShield you get the same problem.

VoodooShield free blocks exploits and more

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Important Note: It did cause a problem with blocking scripts on SevenForums but there's a workaround. Change VoodooShield to "Training Mode" when first visiting and posting on SevenForums and VoodooShield will learn that it's a safe site and allow scripts to run.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FirstShirt View Post
My real issue remains this: Write permissions. . . When I open My Computers and Right Click on C:\ drive, then select "Security" tab the Special Permissions check box is Ghosted Out. I can not select it.
Isn't that how it is supposed to be?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2017   #29
FirstShirt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
I get that problem with some types of script blocker enabled. Also if you are using something like VoodooShield you get the same problem.

VoodooShield free blocks exploits and more





Isn't that how it is supposed to be?

Is that standard for Administrators privilege?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2017   #30
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I'm not expert on permissions but I've checked a couple of Windows 7 64bit machines and they both have "special permissions" greyed out and non-selectable as standard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do I restore my File Permissions?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
File permissions, can't delete file with 0 bytes size
I downloaded a file, didn't download correctly, size = 0 bytes. Reports owner unknown. I can't change ownership, remove file properties, any of that stuff. Can't rename or delete. I'm logged in as administrator but it keeps asking for administrator permission. ?? Another question about...
Software
Problem modifying hosts file, change file permissions?
Hi all,win7 Home Premium 64 bit. I'm having difficulties modifying my hosts file. Following guidance from this forum, I open Notepad++ as administrator & can navigate to and open the hosts file. But the "Save" option is greyed out, so I can't save directly to the original location. I can Save As...
General Discussion
Restore permissions error
Took full back up (AMOMEI Backupper) on W7 64 bit Ultimate OS Now trying to restore ... Mounted Backup image .. as only need to copy one folder & its contents. about 140MB gone in OK .... but some files in one folder won't copy get errror: "You'll need Administrator permission to copy...
Backup and Restore
TaskMgr.exe won't run. How to restore permissions and functionality?
I have recently removed some "alternative" process manager reporting software and cannot get TaskMgr.exe to run now. Observed: C:\windows\system32> taskmgr.exe hourglass appears and then disappears. No process information and no dialog. Likewise for Start> Run> taskmgr.exe If...
General Discussion
Copy shares and permissions on file x to file z? Is this possible?
I have a user for whom shares and permissions on the server are working just fine. I have another user for whom something is screwed up somewhere. I've taken a directory that is shared and I've looked up the share and permissions for both. Identical. But do this for 3,000 files/directories in...
Network & Sharing
Using file permissions with an online file manager
I am using Ajaxplorer which is great but I am having some issues with file permissions. Let's say I create a file which is read only in Ajaxplorer it says it's changed file permissions but when I right click on the file to check it it's the same permissions as it was so didn't actually change. ...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App