Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 32bit upgrade to 64bit

13 Feb 2017   #1
fotog673

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Win 7 32bit upgrade to 64bit

Good Morning-
Finally got so sick of chasing Win7 errors rabbit hole I formatted and clean installed. Worked fine. Finally got backup and mirror services back. But forgot that my copy is a 32bit version. I remember I was able to change to 64bit somehow to use my 16gb RAM. I went through the comments on this but I am just stumped. Don't think I reinstalled it but could be wrong. Just don't want to put all the programs back in case. But I do remember it not being something I paid for. Could someone go over it again for my old cheesy brain please? I would sincerely appreciate it. I have a MS Win7 legal disk. Thanks. Lar


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Feb 2017   #2
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

Everything I've seen says if you want to change from 32 to 64 bit, you must do an install.

There was a recent thread on changing bits (on Win 7) on the Steel Guitar Forum and the user there had to do a new install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2017   #3
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Originally (at least with my copy) Win 7 came with both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version. You installed whichever version that you wanted to, and used the supplied activation key. You could probably do that in this case.

However, as fireberd says, you will have to reinstall Windows (the 64 bit version) to have a 64 bit version on your PC. There is no way to convert that I'm aware of.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Feb 2017   #4
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fotog673 View Post
But forgot that my copy is a 32bit version.
I have a MS Win7 legal disk
You can download the Win 7 64 Bit ISO from MS servers using the Heidoc ISO downloader available here:
Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool

Your 32 bit license is also good for 64 bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2017   #5
fotog673

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Everything I've seen says if you want to change from 32 to 64 bit, you must do an install.

There was a recent thread on changing bits (on Win 7) on the Steel Guitar Forum and the user there had to do a new install.
I don't have a problem doing a fresh install. Just don't want to pay for it if I don't have to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2017   #6
fotog673

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Originally (at least with my copy) Win 7 came with both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version. You installed whichever version that you wanted to, and used the supplied activation key. You could probably do that in this case.

However, as fireberd says, you will have to reinstall Windows (the 64 bit version) to have a 64 bit version on your PC. There is no way to convert that I'm aware of.
I just don't remember seeing that option. But I could have missed it. Thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2017   #7
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fotog673 View Post
I just don't remember seeing that option. But I could have missed it. Thank you
See post #4 by DavidE. You can download the 64 bit version from the link he gave you and install that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2017   #8
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

From fotog673 specs.

Quote:
Computer type PC/Desktop
System Manufacturer/Model Number Custom Build
OS Win7 Home Premium x64
If you have a proper matching COA key for Home Premium it will work on Home Premium 32 and/or 64 bit. The bit doesn't matter.

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2017   #9
fotog673

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
From fotog673 specs.



If you have a proper matching COA key for Home Premium it will work on Home Premium 32 and/or 64 bit. The bit doesn't matter.

Jack
Thanks Jack. I have been falling down this rabbit hole for weeks now and each time I thought I fixed it something else went wrong. I finally gave up, formatted, reinstalled 64bit and all is well. Thanks so much for taking the time to help this old guy. L
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2017   #10
fotog673

Win7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fotog673 View Post
Good Morning-
Finally got so sick of chasing Win7 errors rabbit hole I formatted and clean installed. Worked fine. Finally got backup and mirror services back. But forgot that my copy is a 32bit version. I remember I was able to change to 64bit somehow to use my 16gb RAM. I went through the comments on this but I am just stumped. Don't think I reinstalled it but could be wrong. Just don't want to put all the programs back in case. But I do remember it not being something I paid for. Could someone go over it again for my old cheesy brain please? I would sincerely appreciate it. I have a MS Win7 legal disk. Thanks. Lar
Not at all sure why the first install went awry but took the advice and tried again. All is well now and I thank you all. L
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 32bit upgrade to 64bit




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrade to Win 8 32bit to 64bit
I've windows 7 Pro installed on my PC, i bought the upgrade through MS for about 25?? can't remember the correct cost. anyway, my Win7 install is 32bit and the i downloaded the setup file from MS and got my key in an email, just wondering will the upgrade be just for 32bit or will it also work...
General Discussion
have w7 32bit but want to upgrade to w7 ult 7 64bit- upgrade path?
Hi, I have w7 pro 32 bit but need to take advantage of more memory so want to upgrade to ultimate 64 bit. I'm a student and have seen that I can get an upgrade to ultimate 64bit but it says that I cannot do this from w7 at all but can do it from vista business - as per below link Windows 7...
Windows Updates & Activation
32bit to 64bit upgrade
Hello, I currently own a license for Windows 7 professional 32bit, which I upgraded from Vista using a student discount. I want to upgrade my laptop's ram memory from 3gb to 5gb or 6gb. I know that 32bit operating systems only support up to 4gb, and even then in actuality it's only like 3.2gb. ...
General Discussion
how to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit
hello all i just bought a toshiba laptop which came pre-installed with windows home premium 64bit but the recovery cd that came with the laptop is only 32bit. when i re-installed the windows with the 32bit version it only installed with 32 bit( which is obvious since its a 32bit CD) but now...
Installation & Setup
Win7 Pro 64bit Upgrade Key w/ Prem 32bit Upgrade Disk
To avoid the Student Win 7 hassle (upgrading Vista 32 to Win 7 Pro 64 bit ISO burn, etc), can I simply use the Home Prem 32 Upgrade (for my other computer) arriving this afternoon with my 64bit Pro upgrade key & end up with the 64bit Pro installation? Thanks.
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App