Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: MS... blocked from "community" for not giving cell number

14 Aug 2017   #1
pleiades357

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
MS... blocked from "community" for not giving cell number

MS "community" for cell phone users only?
or those willing to give 24 hour a day access to MS

after something like.. 20 years of using the MS discussion boards... they froze my account/outlook and will not say why, vague hints of it being hacked but... nothing definite

they say I have to have a cell phone to "verify" my account... it won't, they say use a friend phone number... LOL

after a month of wasted time
with reps who really don't seem to know what they are doing

told
"you refused to fill out the form to reclaim your account"
I did
"you didn't give us your last email address"
I did and... that is different from "you refused to fill out the form to reclaim...."
I filled the form out but many of the questions did not apply to my use

then they want a credit card number for an "easier" shopping experience?

friends have told me they are receiving both calls and texts saying from "MS" trying to sell them some service or offer help with their computers for a large fee.... said, over seas, poor English
said... MS says it is not them calling but the callers have personal and software info

so... no cell phone number I can (or want to) give to MS
I'm blocked from the big sharing teaching/learning/loving community?

with the exploitation of personal information
I suspect more people will refuse to give personal information
especially if the information is not protected...
and, some do not have cell phones

it seems insane....
no way past the poor English incompetent "support"?



though... I may find I no longer need the MS "community"


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Aug 2017   #2
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pleiades357 View Post
friends have told me they are receiving both calls and texts saying from "MS" trying to sell them some service or offer help with their computers for a large fee.... said, over seas, poor English
said... MS says it is not them calling but the callers have personal and software info
This is a known scam, whether they have information or not. Apparently I have all sorts of things on my computer, but I have never in my life registered anything with MS. How do they even know my name?

They are not MS, they have no valid information. They are phishing, hoping that you will be silly enough to let them into your computer so they can break it and hold you to ransom.

I've never been asked for a cell phone number by Microsoft, nor a credit card. No matter how many times I've had to reset my account. I somehow doubt that you are really talking to Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #3
RoWin7

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

But I've had Google ask for my cell #, "In case you lose your password." But they don't insist; I can do Gmail anyway.

pleiades357--I get the phone scams too, although I'm not at the MS forum. The 2 aren't connected. I say "I don't have a computer," and they don't call back.

There are plenty other forums that deal with Windows and MS products, aside from this one. I've been at www.discussions.virtualdr.com almost 20 years.

Or try out a few of these to see which ones you like:

https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=micro...ms&t=hb&ia=web
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Aug 2017   #4
RoasterMen

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-BIT
 
 

That's an obvious scam. Why would they ask your phone number and block you from the community if there are others way of reaching you? (Not by coming to you, course.).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #5
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

You would be surprised at how many of the users who come here for advice are also members of the Microsoft forums, or even employees of Microsoft, even the help desk
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #6
pleiades357

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
This is a known scam, whether they have information or not. Apparently I have all sorts of things on my computer, but I have never in my life registered anything with MS. How do they even know my name?

They are not MS, they have no valid information. They are phishing, hoping that you will be silly enough to let them into your computer so they can break it and hold you to ransom.

I've never been asked for a cell phone number by Microsoft, nor a credit card. No matter how many times I've had to reset my account. I somehow doubt that you are really talking to Microsoft.
**********
we've all had the cold calls... this is something different

this is on the MS site... the request for cell phone number was made
"""""What do you need to do?
We'll send a verification code to your phone. After you enter the code, you can sign in.""""
I don't have a cell phone number to give them
the form sent to reclaim the account requests a phone number also

this is what friends are talking about.... several have said the were told their account was suspended... then the "MS" phone calls started after giving their number for the "verify" call

some used all the accounts to send out junk messages?
or it is a ploy to get cell numbers
and if it is not MS, then someone has access to knowing what MS services these people have


though the bottom line is... MS is not protecting the accounts
if they are being "hacked" at such a rate
and MS will not provide support through the "community" (and they supply very little support, to many links for instruction are not functioning) to those who do not have a cell phone...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #7
pleiades357

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoWin7 View Post
But I've had Google ask for my cell #, "In case you lose your password." But they don't insist; I can do Gmail anyway.

pleiades357--I get the phone scams too, although I'm not at the MS forum. The 2 aren't connected. I say "I don't have a computer," and they don't call back.

There are plenty other forums that deal with Windows and MS products, aside from this one. I've been at www.discussions.virtualdr.com almost 20 years.

Or try out a few of these to see which ones you like:

https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=micro...ms&t=hb&ia=web

thank you, I've realized... there are other forums... many better ;-)
so, in the long run... it was a good thing

thank you for the recommendation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #8
pleiades357

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
You would be surprised at how many of the users who come here for advice are also members of the Microsoft forums, or even employees of Microsoft, even the help desk

would not be surprised
I've often been surprised at lack of help from MS
and the wrong advice... my last, a problem with.... I don't remember what... had several posts from someone insisting I could not be running Windows 7.... I must be confused about my OS.... or responses so far beyond my skill level, it was useless and poked fun at for not being more skilled
sigh

nice to find this site
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #9
RoWin7

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pleiades357 View Post
would not be surprised
I've often been surprised at lack of help from MS
and the wrong advice... my last, a problem with.... I don't remember what... had several posts from someone insisting I could not be running Windows 7.... I must be confused about my OS.... or responses so far beyond my skill level, it was useless and poked fun at for not being more skilled
sigh

nice to find this site
Like most forums, the majority of the people who post there are not working for the software company, and maybe none. You'll get trolls and flamers too. At one forum I used, the mods had a thread right out in the open where they ridiculed users. I left after a few months.

One more thing: another useful and reliable site is BleepingComputer.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Aug 2017   #10
pleiades357

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RoWin7 View Post
Like most forums, the majority of the people who post there are not working for the software company, and maybe none. You'll get trolls and flamers. At one forum I used, the mods had a thread right out in the open where they ridiculed users. I left after a few months.

One more thing: another useful and reliable site is BleepingComputer.com - News, Reviews, and Technical Support.
as a somewhat experienced amateur (amazing, when you don't have spare cash... what you can learn to do yourself (like build furniture), and... ripped off by the first three "computer repair" shops.... one charged me three times to reinstall the OS (my weekend spend reinstalling the rest) when the problem was not a "software conflict" or virus....but an old and damaged RAM card in the computer he'd built for me, discovered by advice from my brother and help from an Acronis tech when Acronis wold not install... hours of moving the cards and running some kind of "test")

one of my illusions is the concept the software companies want the users to learn and be happy with the software...
I'd thought the problem was contempt for my lack of knowledge...
still no reason to be nasty, but..... nasty is more stylish than it used to be
I don't know enough to tell if the responses I don't understand are incomprehensible becasue they are incomprehensible, or due to my lack of knowledge...

"ridiculed users" amazing.....
thanks for the recommendation.... I want to learn more, fascinating as well as useful
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 MS... blocked from "community" for not giving cell number




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
10 recent Windows Updates giving "unknown error" 80070005
see attached screenshots (part 1 is the actual error code, part 2 is a log of the 10 updates in question failing repeatedly) i've tried using the reset.cmd script linked at Error 0x80070005 in Windows Update when you try to install updates (and the blog linked at the bottom of that KB article)...
Windows Updates & Activation
9 cell Battery is not being "detected"
I have a Dell Vostro 3650 running Windows 8.1 The battery was giving me about 30 minutes battery life so I bought a new, 9 cell, OEM battery.The "Problem" with the 9 cell battery is that it seems that Windows 8 is not really detecting the battery? I'm not sure. It will only tell me "unknown time...
Hardware & Devices
9 cell battery not living up to its "potential"
i have a hp pavilion dv7-core i5,17.3" screen and the battery is a 9 cell li-ion-93hr but it can't go past 3 hours on battery power even on power saver mode and discrete graphics turned off(always on intel HD graphics)..is this normal? i never game,just listening to music,watching movies and...
Hardware & Devices
Belkin router page giving "duplicate administrator" when logging off
Hi, Earlier when i was on my routers setup page checking a setting I kept getting an error message only when trying to log off "duplicate administrator this device is managed by 0.0.0.0 currently". This kind of bothered me cause I hadn't logged on to the router page from any other computer and had...
Network & Sharing
GFWL Giving "False Positive" Error Message
Hi I'm getting an error message everytime I start my game, although there is nothing wrong!! I just close the message and play my game. Is there a way to get rid of this nuisance?
Gaming


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:25.
Twitter Facebook Google+