Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows searching does not work

23 Aug 2017   #1
DeZolance

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Windows searching does not work

I am having trouble with my pc searching for files
Neither the explorer window or start menu seach works
whatever I type nothing comes out and if I click on see more results in the star menu search I get an error saying:
"Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I tried a couple if fixes myself but nothing
So any answer to this?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Aug 2017   #2
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Boot from an installation disk go to Repair open a CMD window
Type:
chkdsk C: /f


If it finds bad clusters and or bad blocks, your disk is dying. Replace the disk. My suggestion is to replace with a SSD.

If the disk is healthy, do a system file check
Type
sfc /scannow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2017   #3
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Log in to Windows as an administrator, to see if you get the same error message. If you do, see if it allows you to give yourself permission to access the drive. If you can access the drive as an administrator, then it is a permissions issue with the Windows account you were using before.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Aug 2017   #4
cornemuse

Windows 7 Home Premium bit
 
 

I use this, its rocket fast, (not on usb anything, tho, , ,)

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2017   #5
DeZolance

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Boot from an installation disk go to Repair open a CMD window
Type:
chkdsk C: /f


If it finds bad clusters and or bad blocks, your disk is dying. Replace the disk. My suggestion is to replace with a SSD.

If the disk is healthy, do a system file check
Type
sfc /scannow
Tried chkdsk and got this


The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot lock currnet drive

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2017   #6
DeZolance

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
Log in to Windows as an administrator, to see if you get the same error message. If you do, see if it allows you to give yourself permission to access the drive. If you can access the drive as an administrator, then it is a permissions issue with the Windows account you were using before.
I am an administrator and I still get nothing

But I did try one thing
I ran command prompt through WinKey+R as an administrator and activated the Hidden administrator account with
"net user administrator /active:yes"

I logged in that administrator account and searching works perfectly fine,no errors
In that case my problem could very well be a permissions issue somewhere
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2017   #7
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeZolance View Post
Tried chkdsk and got this


The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot lock currnet drive

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
You didn't boot from the Win 7 installation disk. You opened a CMD window under running windows.
It also asked if you wanted to do the check disk on next boot. Why you didn't do it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2017   #8
DeZolance

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
You didn't boot from the Win 7 installation disk. You opened a CMD window under running windows.
It also asked if you wanted to do the check disk on next boot. Why you didn't do it?
1. I dont have a Windows instalation disk
2.I did do the disk check on next boot and it didn't detect any problems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2017   #9
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeZolance View Post
I am an administrator and I still get nothing

But I did try one thing
I ran command prompt through WinKey+R as an administrator and activated the Hidden administrator account with
"net user administrator /active:yes"

I logged in that administrator account and searching works perfectly fine,no errors
In that case my problem could very well be a permissions issue somewhere
While logged into the administrator account where searching works perfectly fine, create a new user account with administrator access. Then log into that new account and try the search. If successful, then the problem has to be with the account which already existed in Windows. Somehow it got corrupted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2017   #10
DeZolance

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
While logged into the administrator account where searching works perfectly fine, create a new user account with administrator access. Then log into that new account and try the search. If successful, then the problem has to be with the account which already existed in Windows. Somehow it got corrupted.
I made a test admin user and searching works perfectly fine there
Now is there a way to fix my current user or do I just migrate to the other one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows searching does not work




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
searching for Windows 7 pre sp1
Is there any way today times, how to get Windows 7 pre sp 1 ? Thanks for answer.
General Discussion
windows updates searching, give error 80080005, back to searching
I have 2 computers that I have completely reformatted & Clean Installed Windows 7 on them both. I Have 2 Seperate win 7 disk for them. 1 is a desktop, Other is Dell Inspiron 1545. (Labtop) is the one im working on right now, (testing) I Have Done This Many Times In The Past With No Problems. now im...
Windows Updates & Activation
Searching through files with Windows 7
I switched from XP to 7 this year. I really enjoyed my time with XP especially because of the layout and I knew I would lose certain features like the way I could so easily search for files like mp3's and videos through my external hard drives. I do extensive film editing professionally, although...
General Discussion
Windows 7 searching for content only.
I've been looking to see if there's a button, setting, feature, etc, to search files by content ONLY. I found in Folder Options the radio button to include content in searches. But that's too broad. Any one know? I will share more information if needed. Thanks.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11.
Twitter Facebook Google+