Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Major StartUp and Performance Problems After Blackout ???

23 Nov 2017   #21
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Surge protectors have a varistor disk that clamps the voltage a at a certain level (~190V). They have a capacity to absorb a limit amount or energy ( in Joules) and then they enter on a short circuit an blow the fuse.
So I don't think that the local computer geek is right.
Open the surge protector to see if the varistor disks are in good shape (no burns or explosions). If they are still in good shape, I would say that they are still active (and doing it's job).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Nov 2017   #22
BuckSkin

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Maybe he was referring to this article:

Why (and When) You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

and most likely technology is different now than then as that article will soon be three years old.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2017   #23
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

I would suggest checking your bios settings.
I use Asus motherboards and in my bios their is a setting, telling the computer not to start after power loss. I do not know if Dell has such a option in the bios.

Loosing power hurts nothing except it will loose the work you are doing. What hurts is when the power comes back on. When the power comes back on you can get surges and several on and off until the power company gets things fixed completely.
That is one reason I don't want my computer to startup or reboot after a power loss.

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2017   #24
BuckSkin

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I would suggest checking your bios settings.
I use Asus motherboards and in my bios their is a setting, telling the computer not to start after power loss. I do not know if Dell has such a option in the bios.

Loosing power hurts nothing except it will loose the work you are doing. What hurts is when the power comes back on. When the power comes back on you can get surges and several on and off until the power company gets things fixed completely.
That is one reason I don't want my computer to startup or reboot after a power loss.

Jack
Thanks! ; that is good information to know; I was unaware that there was such a possibility; I will have to investigate.

Quote:
I use Asus motherboards
I have never yet built a machine from scratch but am wanting to just for the experience.

I am overwhelmed when I look at all the various component choices as I only know enough to get me in trouble.

What is it about Asus motherboards that makes you prefer them ? Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2017   #25
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

Asus hardware including their motherboards are not without problems.
I have found on the most part they do exactly what they are advertised to do.
They are reliable. Most of the time they cost more. To me they are worth the price.

When you do build your own system, I suggest spending a lot of time researching the hardware and the design of your system. The more time you spend on homework makes a better build.
It takes me weeks of homework before I order the parts. Then it only takes a few days to build the computer.
My last build is in 'My System Specs'.
My other computer also has a Asus motherboard with a Intel cpu. Two radiators, two water pumps and 14 fans. All hard tubing for the cooling system. That takes a lot of planning and research.

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2017   #26
BuckSkin

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
When you do build your own system, I suggest spending a lot of time researching the hardware and the design of your system. The more time you spend on homework makes a better build....
Jack
I am aiming toward a photography/photo-editing machine.

Some of the photo editing programs overwhelm a lot of machines; and, if your machine isn't "quick" , it can really slow things down between procedures.

Of course, poor old pitiful me in my present financial state will have to economize as much as I can..........
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2017   #27
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
 
 

Photography/photo-editing done right will take some serious hardware.

Start doing your homework now so you are ready when you hit the Lotto.

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2017   #28
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Photography/photo-editing done right will take some serious hardware.

Start doing your homework now so you are ready when you hit the Lotto.

Jack


What OS you're thinking to install on the new computer?

Skylake works well with Win 7. Kabylake you have to do some workaround. Coffelake is to new to know if it work well with Win 7.

Guide line
- CPU i7 6700K (skylake) i7 7700k (Kabylake) or i7 8600k (Coffelake). There is also the AMD Rysen that are very fast but I have no experience and can't advice.
- MB Z270 for i7 6700K (skylake) or i7 7700k (Kabylake) and Z370 for i7 8600k (Coffelake)
- (8+8)G DDR4 3200
- PS - Depends on the video card you are buying. Minimum of 600W.
- GPU - I would start without one. You can always add one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2017   #29
BuckSkin

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post


What OS you're thinking to install on the new computer?

Skylake works well with Win 7. Kabylake you have to do some workaround. Coffelake is to new to know if it work well with Win 7.

Guide line
- CPU i7 6700K (skylake) i7 7700k (Kabylake) or i7 8600k (Coffelake). There is also the AMD Rysen that are very fast but I have no experience and can't advice.
- MB Z270 for i7 6700K (skylake) or i7 7700k (Kabylake) and Z370 for i7 8600k (Coffelake)
- (8+8)G DDR4 3200
- PS - Depends on the video card you are buying. Minimum of 600W.
- GPU - I would start without one. You can always add one.
Windows 7 Pro

I don't understand this lake business?

Along with quick, I need several SATA connections; the case I have has ten HDD ports.
I will also need several USB 3.0 ports and a USB 3.0 ?20-pin? connector on the MB.

As of right now, I have something like nineteen cents in the fund, so it may be a while before anything concrete happens.

I am quite fond of the Gigabyte Radeon R7 240 graphics cards; I have two and they have always did anything I needed them to; I cannot say the same for EVGA invidia other than I will never spend my money on anything that says invidia on it again.

I have a Corsair 750W PSU that has an arm-load of wires and cables; I really like it as well.

I would appreciate if you guys showed me what in your own experience is compatible as I could easily spend a bunch of money on stuff that won't work together.

But don't get too excited just yet as I am destitute with a capitol D.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2017   #30
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

For Intel CPU - Chipset:
Skylake (2016) - 6th gen
Kabylake (2017) - 7th gen
Coffeelake (2017) - 8th gen Coffee Lake - Wikipedia

AMD Rysen is the latest powerful AMD CPU

Normally, MB's have 6 SATA ports. To have ten, you'll have to add a add on card.
New MB have more USB 3.x ports than USB 2.0

When you ready to build the new computer, come back to the Forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Major StartUp and Performance Problems After Blackout ???




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Major problems
So first off I should say I'm not good with computers, I get around them but when it comes to technical stuff like what I'm about to show I'm a 0. Second I should also say that I'm not English and my computer language is not in English, but I follow and look for answers in this forum everytime I...
General Discussion
Several BSODs occurred last night, now seeing major performance drop
System Specs Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Upgrade from a Windows 2K Install AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.20GHz 8GB RAM AMD Radeon HD 6770 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Custom build completed in November 2011
BSOD Help and Support
Major problems with all drivers
It seems that for no apparent reason, a bunch of drivers were removed. It's stuck in 800x600, no aero, slow, freezes, etc.
Drivers
Major problems shutting down
Hello! I recently bought a HP laptop running Windows 7. In a nutshell, I cannot effectively shut the computer down, and Windows updates do not install properly. When I try to shut down, the computer just spins for ages and eventually goes blank. Then, I have to select "start in safe mode" and...
General Discussion
Major Problems, Please Help
Im fretting right now, i think i may have just made my SSD and HDD unusable. Ok: I have a new build, was messing around with the set-up to try and get it to work the best, trying different install and with dynamic/basic hdd's. So somehow this is the situation i have: 1Tb HDDwith the OS...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00.
Twitter Facebook Google+