Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual Boot Messing Up My Clock ???

31 Dec 2017   #11
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Windows does synchronize with a server and modify the RTC to local time.
Linux does the same but modify the RTC to UTC - GMT




Attached Images
Dual Boot Messing Up My Clock ???-win_time.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 Dec 2017   #12
FreeBooter

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I think we both sticking with our own knowledge of how RTC works so there is no point for us to explain how operating systems works with RTC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2017   #13
MSClin

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Linux Mint 19.0 Xfce 64-bit
 
 

Everything Megahertz07 said is true... At least read the link which Megahertz07 pointed to. I will even quote the answer from there:

If you have multiple operating systems installed in the same machine, they will all derive the current time from the same hardware clock: for this reason you must make sure that all of them see the hardware clock as providing time in the same chosen standard, or some of them will perform the time zone adjustement for the system clock, while others will not. For example, if the hardware clock was set to localtime, more than one operating system may adjust it after a DST change, thus resulting in an overcorrection; more problems may arise when travelling between different time zones and using one of the operating systems to reset the system/hardware clock.

This is the simple explanation to the problem the OP have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Dec 2017   #14
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18.3 MATE, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreeBooter View Post
Linux time configuration cannot affect time configuration of Windows OS if anyone claims it can does not know how operating system works and does not understand how dual booting works.
You have no idea what you're talking about.
As a rule, a Linux OS won't directly write changes to a Windows OS without user intervention.

The "Linux Time vs Windows Time" issue has been well documented for many years.
I have personally experienced it for at least 8 years (especially when using Live Linux CD/DVD/USB).

I've recently had to perform the hacks that MSClin posted on my installed operating systems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Dec 2017   #15
FreeBooter

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.

The "Linux Time vs Windows Time" issue has been well documented for many years.
I have personally experienced it for at least 8 years (especially when using Live Linux CD/DVD/USB).

I've recently had to perform the hacks that MSClin posted on my installed operating systems.
Wow so you are saying Linux can configure offline settings of Windows OS i think you have no idea what we are talking about because we have now established Linux time settings could configures RTC not the Windows OS time settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2018   #16
BuckSkin

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ethel View Post
Hi Buckskin, This previous post may help you to read
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MSClin View Post
That's because Linux use UTC time and Windows use "Local". The solution would be to make Windows use UTC time or to make Linux use Local time. I prefer to make Linux use Local, because it's just easier.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post

So when you run Linux it will set the hardware clock (RTC) to UTC time and make a correction due to the time zone to show the local time clock.
When you run windows it will load the hardware clock (RTC) that has been set to UTC by Linux. It will show GMT or UTC time until Windows makes the change to local time.

I have just made the MSClin suggestion (post #6) adding utc=no in /etc/default/rcS and it made the magic.
Thanks, everyone; I will make a stab at this.

I have never yet messed with the Linux version of Command Line; I am assuming that is where I enter this text, or am I misunderstanding ?

Thanks and have a Happy New Year !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2018   #17
MSClin

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Linux Mint 19.0 Xfce 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
I have never yet messed with the Linux version of Command Line; I am assuming that is where I enter this text, or am I misunderstanding ?
!
You talk about "UTC=no"? If so, I'll just give you a simple command to make Linux use Local time. Open Terminal (that's how command line is called in Linux) and enter this command:

timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreeBooter View Post
Wow so you are saying Linux can configure offline settings of Windows OS i think you have no idea what we are talking about because we have now established Linux time settings could configures RTC not the Windows OS time settings.
I even quoted the cause of this problem, yet you still refuse to understand. "If you have multiple operating systems installed in the same machine, they will all derive the current time from the same hardware clock". And by this you should understand that if the hardware clock was set for example to UTC time, if Windows try to read it (as Windows uses Local time standard), the time would be displayed wrong in Windows. That's why every OS should use the same standard to read the hardware clock.

And the things you say doesn't make any sense. Nobody said that "Linux can configure offline settings of Windows", we basically said that if hardware clock is read with different standards, the time would be displayed wrong. All we said in this thread is documented here > Time - ArchWiki.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2018   #18
FreeBooter

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MSClin View Post
That's because Linux use UTC time and Windows use "Local". The solution would be to make Windows use UTC time or to make Linux use Local time. I prefer to make Linux use Local, because it's just easier.

Linux:
1. Edit "UTC=yes" to "UTC=no" in /etc/default/rcS.

Windows:
But if for some reason you want Windows to use UTC... Open Notepad and paste this code:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001


Then save the file as "WindowsTimeToUTC.reg" and double-click to merge it with the registry. But this is not everything, you should open CMD and disable Windows Time service with this command:

sc config w32time start= disabled

Now you're finished with Windows.
Hi MSClin,

As you can see you have not mentioned about Linux modifying RTC chip setting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2018   #19
MSClin

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, Linux Mint 19.0 Xfce 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreeBooter View Post
Hi MSClin,

As you can see you have not mentioned about Linux modifying RTC chip setting.
Do I have to? I like to provide fast help to the people who have problems, not give them information which they can get by using Google.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2018   #20
FreeBooter

Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Well you should so those helping and OP can learn from you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual Boot Messing Up My Clock ???




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Avoid stuck keys messing with boot
The answers to this is probably no, but I'll try anyway So I know a fool who spilt some stuff all over their laptop keyboard and the keys can be a bit sticky, especially the F keys. Now, one time in ten, on boot, it goes crazy at the bios screen with one constant beep that will not stop until...
General Discussion
deleting partition without messing up boot
hi i recently installed windows 7 ultimate on my old dell i did a clean install from my hdd i formated the hdd and made a small partition at the end and copyed the setup files to it and booted from that. The install went fine i now have two partitions one with the setup disk and the other with the...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot with WinXP over Win7, without messing up
Starting point: A (tablet) notebook Lenovo comes with Win7 pre-installed. The HD (Sata 2.5 by WD, 250MB) has three partitions, as default, two of them hidden. Problem and aim: A lot of software that I use does not run in Win7. XP mode is too slow. I'd like to install win XP (in my specific...
Installation & Setup
Clock Jumps Ahead 5 Hours After Dual-Booting
I have a dual-boot setup with W7 and linux distro, for some reason whenever I boot into Windows 7 after being in Linux my clock is always 5+ hours ahead. I end up having to synchronize it with the time.windows.com server. This only happens if I go from Linux to Windows. If I use Windows and shut...
General Discussion
Dual Boot Issue (Lost my Dual Boot Menu)
Hey Guys, So I just got my hands on Windows 7 and wanted to play around with it, and everything works but: Previous Computer Setup: I had a dual boot with XP and Vista that worked perfectly (both OS's were on separate HD's and worked / booted correctly.) Drive C: --------> Vista (Now...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+