Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgrading Damaged Windows 7

22 Feb 2018   #11
Joe Ciaravino

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bat 1 View Post
In the OP's first thread on this problem he was told that "some" system corruptions will cause an upgrade to fail. In his second thread on this problem he was told that his Windows Key isn't "Kosher" and he verified that fact, Given those two facts, I would think that since Microsoft has been quite lenient in allowing Free upgrades to Win 10, that the small cost of a extra HDD would be a Good Idea. Clone the present OS then attempt the upgrade and see what'll happen.....
Can you point me to where this took place? I don't remember this.

I paid for a download back in 2012. It's a retail, not OEM installation. What's the difference?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Feb 2018   #12
Bat 1

8.1 home x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torchwood View Post
Hi Joe,

that key is for an MSDN subscrition product, and is marked as NOT for Resale, can only be sold by MS.

you could try the MS download site, but i dont think you will have any joy

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Roy

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Ciaravino View Post
Roy,

I tried the link you provided:

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

MS was not happy with the key.

What does that mean? Do I have a "bad" copy of Windows?

I found my original ISO, without any updates and without SP1. I can slipstream all updates into it including SP1........unless I can get a new copy with updates already included, somehow.
If You click on "My Posts" you can't find the posts yourself ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2018   #13
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

There is nothing like a clean install. I do it every two years. (in fact I restore an image taken just after a clean install with all drivers and updates installed)
- Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums
- MS releases SP2 for Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Feb 2018   #14
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Ciaravino View Post
I paid for a download back in 2012. It's a retail, not OEM installation. What's the difference?
"Retail" means that you can install it on any computer which can run Windows 7 (on only one computer at a time). "OEM" means that you can install it only on the computer it came with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2018   #15
Joe Ciaravino

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
There is nothing like a clean install. I do it every two years. (in fact I restore an image taken just after a clean install with all drivers and updates installed)
- Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums
- MS releases SP2 for Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
Are you saying you do a repair install every 2 years?
If you do a clean install, that means starting over from the beginning and reinstalling everything. Is there an easy way to do this or am I missing something?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2018   #16
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Ciaravino View Post
Are you saying you do a repair install every 2 years?
If you do a clean install, that means starting over from the beginning and reinstalling everything. Is there an easy way to do this or am I missing something?
Basically, yes. After I installed Win 7 and Office 2010 on my new computer almost 2 years ago, installed all drivers and updates, I did a disk image. Every 2 years I restore the image and reinstall all other software.
The performance improvement of a clean install over a old installation is huge.
Over the years, installing and uninstalling software, leaves behind a lot of trash.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2018   #17
redoak

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Basically, yes. After I installed Win 7 and Office 2010 on my new computer almost 2 years ago, installed all drivers and updates, I did a disk image. Every 2 years I restore the image and reinstall all other software.
The performance improvement of a clean install over a old installation is huge.
Over the years, installing and uninstalling software, leaves behind a lot of trash.
Unfortunately, you are correct. In many respects, Windows is still a toy OS after all these years. There is no reason why the phenomenon you describe should exist, but it surely does. Windows is layer upon layer of cruft upon cruft upon workaround upon workaround. And Windows 10 is no improvement. There's just too much going on, much of it to facilitate corporate control freakery. Just too much stuff. Windows 7 is surely my last Windows after all these years. When I started in this biz, Microsoft's only product was a BASIC interpreter, and they only got into the DOS thing by accident. I think they were in over their heads right then and there. But it sure did make them pots of money!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2018   #18
Joe Ciaravino

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Basically, yes. After I installed Win 7 and Office 2010 on my new computer almost 2 years ago, installed all drivers and updates, I did a disk image. Every 2 years I restore the image and reinstall all other software.
The performance improvement of a clean install over a old installation is huge.
Over the years, installing and uninstalling software, leaves behind a lot of trash.
Great idea. Wish I had done that (actually wasn't aware of system images) back in 2014 when I built this. Too late now.

A repair install is probably what I will do. It would be a huge amount of work to do a fresh install at this point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2018   #19
mrjimphelps

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit (VMWare host) / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit (VMWare guest)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joe Ciaravino View Post
I don't like Windows 10. I like Windows 7. What happens after updates end in 2020? As things change, Win 7 won't keep up. Is there a way to keep Win 7 "updated" once Microsoft stops updating it?

You have a few choices:
  • Continue with Windows 7, and hope for the best. I don't recommend this, because you will be vulnerable to security threats.
  • Upgrade to Windows 8.1, and install Classic Shell. Classic Shell makes Windows 8.1 look and feel like Windows 7. Best of all, you will receive updates till 2023.
  • Move to some version of Linux. You could start transitioning now by installing virtual machine software in your Windows 7 machine, and setting up a Linux virtual machine. This would let you check it out. Or you could set up a Linux Live flash drive, and boot into Linux from time to time to try it out. If you decide to go with Linux, you could install Linux on the hard drive, then set up Windows 7 (or 8.1) in a virtual machine inside of Linux. (That is how I have set things up on my computer.) With a Windows 7 (or 8.1) virtual machine inside of Linux, you will have transitioned to Linux, while having Windows available by just clicking on the VM icon. This would allow you to use Windows at any time for those tasks you can't yet do in Linux, while steadily learning Linux and getting things working in Linux. At some point, you probably won't need Windows anymore, but it will be there if you need it.
If your computer doesn't have at least 4 GB of RAM, the virtual machine option probably won't be a good choice, because there just won't be enough memory to support both the host OS and the vm OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2018   #20
Joe Ciaravino

Win 7 64 bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
You have a few choices:
  • Continue with Windows 7, and hope for the best. I don't recommend this, because you will be vulnerable to security threats.
  • Upgrade to Windows 8.1, and install Classic Shell. Classic Shell makes Windows 8.1 look and feel like Windows 7. Best of all, you will receive updates till 2023.
  • Move to some version of Linux. You could start transitioning now by installing virtual machine software in your Windows 7 machine, and setting up a Linux virtual machine. This would let you check it out. Or you could set up a Linux Live flash drive, and boot into Linux from time to time to try it out. If you decide to go with Linux, you could install Linux on the hard drive, then set up Windows 7 (or 8.1) in a virtual machine inside of Linux. (That is how I have set things up on my computer.) With a Windows 7 (or 8.1) virtual machine inside of Linux, you will have transitioned to Linux, while having Windows available by just clicking on the VM icon. This would allow you to use Windows at any time for those tasks you can't yet do in Linux, while steadily learning Linux and getting things working in Linux. At some point, you probably won't need Windows anymore, but it will be there if you need it.
If your computer doesn't have at least 4 GB of RAM, the virtual machine option probably won't be a good choice, because there just won't be enough memory to support both the host OS and the vm OS.
Exactly choice 3. See #6 here:

What To Do After Jan 2020 - Windows 7 Help Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgrading Damaged Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Has Microsoft permanently damaged Windows 7?
I have been spending my time mostly on Vista and Zorin, avoiding Windows 7. With all the updates "preparing" our computers for W10, I have lost confidence in W7. I don't know which updates to uninstall. I know there is a thread on this, but it just keeps getting more complicated, leading me to fear...
General Discussion
Help, damaged windows installer service
Hello, probably my Windows installation service is broken or otherwise nonfunctional. Although the windows installer doesnot report anything wrong, I'm having many bluescreens in last days, mostly just when installing or uninstalling something via Windows Installer. No crash dumps. Any guide how...
BSOD Help and Support
Best way to keep the Windows COA label from getting damaged?
On laptop computers the Windows certificate of authenticity is printed on a piece of paper which is attached to the bottom of the device. Unfortunately, the license key gets damaged and you cannot read it. Is there some way to overcome this problem? Is there some kind of laminate plastic that...
General Discussion
ubuntu damaged my windows partition
Now I can't boot from the harddrive at all,even after reinstallng windows. history. I installed a new drive and since I need to test apps on multiple operating systems, I install several windows versions. I spend two weeks installing many windows versions, then updating and installing...
Installation & Setup
All my files damaged after windows 7 install
Hi all! I have installed Windows 7 on my pc but now all the files that I had in another partition seem to be damaged. I can't open zip files, images, docs, excels, etc. It always says that the file is damaged or in a format that can't open. I have tried to open an image in my laptop and I...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+