Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Where to find information about concurrency?

23 Nov 2009   #1
Luzenna

Windows
 
 
Where to find information about concurrency?

Hello.

I am currently working on a school paper about Windows 7, and I am looking for where I can find papers/information about how W7 handles concurrency and processing/processes.
I'd be very happy if some of you could point me in the right direction (links) to where I can find information about this.
If some of you got some time to spare I wouldn't mind explaining it yourself, but a link to a white/tech paper will do just fine

Thanks,
Luzenna


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Nov 2009   #2
Jacee
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2009   #3
OpSysWiz

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

In a nutshell, Win 7, given a multi-processor or HyperThreaded single processor, and if multiple tasks are presented to be dispatched, will attempt to assign the task to the processor or hyperthread doing the least amount of work. I.E. a four processor CPU can handle 4 tasks silumtaneously, if hyperthreaded, it can handle up to 8 tasks, nearly simultaneously.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2009   #4
Luzenna

Windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OpSysWiz View Post
In a nutshell, Win 7, given a multi-processor or HyperThreaded single processor, and if multiple tasks are presented to be dispatched, will attempt to assign the task to the processor or hyperthread doing the least amount of work. I.E. a four processor CPU can handle 4 tasks silumtaneously, if hyperthreaded, it can handle up to 8 tasks, nearly simultaneously.
Do you have a source/link to where I can read about this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #5
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Luzenna View Post
Hello.

I am currently working on a school paper about Windows 7, and I am looking for where I can find papers/information about how W7 handles concurrency and processing/processes.
I'd be very happy if some of you could point me in the right direction (links) to where I can find information about this.
If some of you got some time to spare I wouldn't mind explaining it yourself, but a link to a white/tech paper will do just fine

Thanks,
Luzenna
Hi and welcome

Just remember google is your friend. I would start here Windows 7 to get parallel-processing tweaks | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

Hope this points you in the right direction

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #6
OpSysWiz

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Luzenna View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by OpSysWiz View Post
In a nutshell, Win 7, given a multi-processor or HyperThreaded single processor, and if multiple tasks are presented to be dispatched, will attempt to assign the task to the processor or hyperthread doing the least amount of work. I.E. a four processor CPU can handle 4 tasks silumtaneously, if hyperthreaded, it can handle up to 8 tasks, nearly simultaneously.
Do you have a source/link to where I can read about this?
Parallel Processing: The simultaneous processing of different tasks by two or more microprocessors, as by a single computer with more than one central processing unit or by multiple computers connected together in a network.

parallel processing: Definition from Answers.com

Concurrent processing: The conceptually simultaneous execution of more than one sequential program on a computer or network of computers.

Concurrent processing: Definition from Answers.com

Finally, code can be written in a multi-threaded manner and usually requires the use of what is sometims called a parallel compiler. A program written in this manner spins off two or more threads that can process independently of each other simultaneously (given a multi-cpu processor). The results of the threads are gathered together later in the code and presented to the user. Sorry, could not find a good reference for this.

Concurrency can take on several qualifers, e.g. how many concurrent users vs the total users of an application.

Scalabilty: the ability of an app, database manager, operating system, etc, to add more users or tasks with little or no impact on performance given the same hardware capacity. Writing scalable code requires a deep understanding of the app, be it an operating system, database manager, or Amazon.com and an deep understanding of the constraints of the available hardware/network capacity.

Obviously, concurrency and scalability go hand-n-hand and one should not be considered without the other.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Where to find information about concurrency?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Halo 2 refuses to install - can't find performance information
Hi, I just bought the retail dvd of Halo 2 and I'm trying to install it on Windows 7. The install pops up a message box that says and the installation stops when I hit 'Run' anyway. But I have done a performance test to create a score of 5.9. I have a quad core i7 with 12 gig of ram...
Gaming
Image Restore Can Not Find Setup Information Files
My hard drive crashed recently and after purchasing a new one, I was able to use the HP Windows 7 Professional System Disk Restore. Worked great and ready to restore an image I have of my hard drive earlier this year. When go through the process of restoring my image from either an external...
Backup and Restore
Can't find the prefix's thread for post's? (eg. [note] , [information]
Basically say's it in the title :p I seen a link before to all the prefix's for posting. Like making them move and adding in the information, note, etc
Chillout Room
BSOD, How to find information about it?
Hello, my computer is about 2 years old and never had a problem with it until now. I decided to format it and do a clean install of windows. Today I got a BSOD after a shutdown that had 2 updates to be made. It did the updates process where it said to not shutdown the computer but then the BOSD...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows unable to find my user desktop/information
Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone had any idea into a slightly annoying reason that is somewhat perplexing me. Occasionaly when I load my machine windows (after asking me to log in with my password) loads a default desktop almost as if it cannot find my user specific desktop. This issue...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App