Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question

24 Nov 2009   #1
r000t

Windows 7 Starter
 
 
Question

Hello,

Currently I have Windows 7 Started installed on my netbook. I want to upgrade the OS to Windows 7 Professional.

I have a disk with Windows 7 professional on, and what I want to know is; If I boot the disk up, will I have the option to upgrade? And therefore keep all the files/applications currently installed on the system. Or will I have to wipe the system clean?

Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Nov 2009   #2
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Hi.

To upgrade, you must run setup.exe from the DVD from within your current Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #3
reghakr

Windows 7 Pro & Vista Home Premium
 
 

You didn'y metion what the old OS was..........

If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install.

I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify. The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not
==========================================
An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2009   #4
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by reghakr View Post
You didn'y metion what the old OS was..........
Yes he did. Windows 7 Starter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #5
reghakr

Windows 7 Pro & Vista Home Premium
 
 

Sorry,. then the second part applies:

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #6
Win7User512

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

I always recommend a fresh install. Never upgrade Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #7
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by reghakr View Post
Sorry,. then the second part applies:

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.
Incorrect again. Upgrade function is perfection in Windows 7. I should know. I've done it probably a good 45 times without a single issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2009   #8
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by reghakr View Post
Sorry,. then the second part applies:

An upgrade is not the route to take. It leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Save all you Documents, Pictures, contacts, videos, music, etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will need to re-insatllall your 3rd party applcations.
Incorrect again. Upgrade function is perfection in Windows 7. I should know. I've done it probably a good 45 times without a single issue.
I agree with that.. in comparison to the XP to Vista Upgrades I've done, Vista to 7 is a lot smoother. I still however prefer a clean install, just makes me feel like my laptop is squeaky clean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #9
r000t

Windows 7 Starter
 
 

Hmm, there seems to be a mixture of opinion. Also, just to clarify the OS I have now is Windows 7 Starter, and I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 Professional.

Ideally, I would like to upgrade 'inside' the existing OS and keep all my applications and files I have on the disk currently.

Is this recommended?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2009   #10
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by r000t View Post
Hmm, there seems to be a mixture of opinion. Also, just to clarify the OS I have now is Windows 7 Starter, and I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 Professional.

Ideally, I would like to upgrade 'inside' the existing OS and keep all my applications and files I have on the disk currently.

Is this recommended?
Yes, sure. As long as you have no current issues to speak of, it will go well for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Question about SSD's
I saw these comments on a site about SSD's , is the below comments true ? I was hoping to use the SSD as my primary drive , i don't store much . Thank you
Hardware & Devices
Thermal Paste Question..(Noobish Question)
Hey guys, I recently purchased Corsair H40 that came with pre applied thermal paste. Before I placed the H40 sink on my processor, I applied a thin layer on the on the processor with Cooler Master thermal paste. So essentially I mixed the H40 pre applied thermal paste with the Cooler Master thermal...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
WEI Question
Hey guys, I went into my system properties to get into something today, but when i did it prompted that i needed to re-rn the assesment. I did so and my graphics score went from a 7.4 down to a 6.9. Would this be caused from me running display fusion on my system to allow me to do certain...
Performance & Maintenance
RAM Question
I will probably be getting this motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 rev. 1.0 Socket 1155 ATX Motherboard Intel Z68 Express Intel Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 Processors, Dual DDR3 2133 SATA III SATA 6.0 Gb/s Gigabit LAN SLI CrossFireX USB3.0 HDMI DVI 7.1 Channels Audio-Best Computer Online Store Hous I...
Hardware & Devices
Answer Question, Ask Question.
First (hope you get the reference): In a world where a piano is a weapon, not a musical instrument, on what does Scott Joplin play "The Maple Leaf Rag"?
Chillout Room
Logitech 5.1 surround question and soundcard question IDT and Realtek
So my situation is unique lol i have a Dell inspiron n5010 laptop running Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit the soundcard for this is either IDT 92HD79B1, v.6.10.0.6267, A01 or A03 i dont know what the default one mine came with is. Documentation i hope that helps ^ and the attatchment i...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App