Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Freeze

17 Dec 2018   #1
dfs4

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 
Windows 7 Freeze

I have reinstalled windows 7 for probably 5 times in the last few months and every time it is because windows 7 freezes at start up or randomly and I can't do anything except turn off the laptop and do a fresh re-install.


I thought it was firefox or comodo firewall but I am not sure. It could be some display driver glitch or incompatibility but every time I download and install the latest video drivers from dell's website.


I have this dell laptop since 2014 but it is in good condition. But is it too old or something because I haven't had this problem but since the firefox quantum started and I am suspecting comodo firewall too but not sure. This is a super annoying problem and does anyone know how to know for sure what causes it?


Btw every time I go to safe mood with networking or without to save some files and then sometimes even safe mood the windows freezes. An annoying problem. So does anyone know how to know for sure what causes it if it happens again since I just reinstalled windows 7 a couple days ago.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Dec 2018   #2
iko22

Windows 7 x64, Vista x64, 8.1 smartphone
 
 

Sounds like there is a problem with your hard disk. Perhaps you can replace the HDD or run CHKDSK c: /f to see if windows can detect any faults. However clean install to a new HDD is a good idea.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2018   #3
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi dfs4,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dfs4 View Post
I have reinstalled windows 7 for probably 5 times in the last few months and every time it is because windows 7 freezes at start up or randomly and I can't do anything except turn off the laptop and do a fresh re-install.
Some questions!

[1] What media did you use to install Win 7 [DVD, USB or Recovery Partition - Reset to Factory]?
[2] This may sound like a silly question, but does the clock and date show the correct time and date?
[3] Have you checked if it is something getting loaded at startup [msconfig => Startup tab] that is causing the problem?
[4] Have you tried running Startup Repair from the media used in [1].
[5] Have you tried running chkdsk - Check Disk?
[6] Have you tried running SFC - System File Checker?
[7] Are there any yellow triangles in Device Manager [Start => Control Panel => Device Manager => Expand ALL nodes]?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dfs4 View Post
I thought it was firefox or comodo firewall but I am not sure. It could be some display driver glitch or incompatibility but every time I download and install the latest video drivers from dell's website.
See number [7] above!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dfs4 View Post
I have this dell laptop since 2014 but it is in good condition. But is it too old or something because I haven't had this problem but since the firefox quantum started and I am suspecting comodo firewall too but not sure. This is a super annoying problem and does anyone know how to know for sure what causes it?
Was the OS running OK before you installed them though?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dfs4 View Post
BTW every time I go to safe mood with networking or without to save some files and then sometimes even safe mood the windows freezes. An annoying problem. So does anyone know how to know for sure what causes it if it happens again since I just reinstalled windows 7 a couple days ago.
See number [4] above!

I hope this helps!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Dec 2018   #4
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi dfs4,

Update System Specifications

Please update your system specifications in your UserCP => Edit System Spec setup. It will help us to help you!

This SevenForums tutorial [Published by Brink and written by CyberZeus] makes this task very easy and quick to do. Click here => System Info - See Your System Specs.

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2018   #5
dfs4

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi dfs4,



Some questions!

[1] What media did you use to install Win 7 [DVD, USB or Recovery Partition - Reset to Factory]?
[2] This may sound like a silly question, but does the clock and date show the correct time and date?
[3] Have you checked if it is something getting loaded at startup [msconfig => Startup tab] that is causing the problem?
[4] Have you tried running Startup Repair from the media used in [1].
[5] Have you tried running chkdsk - Check Disk?
[6] Have you tried running SFC - System File Checker?
[7] Are there any yellow triangles in Device Manager [Start => Control Panel => Device Manager => Expand ALL nodes]?



See number [7] above!



Was the OS running OK before you installed them though?



See number [4] above!

I hope this helps!



1 - I used DVD drive to install.


2 - Yes the clock shows the correct date and time.


3 - I went to safe mode the last time and disabled everything in msconfig and start up. Didn't fix the problem.


4 - I tried startup repair from the windows dvd not last time, the time before that and I don't think it solved anything.


5 - I haven't done chkdsk and I am gonna try it just now even though I just reinstalled and there has been no freeze ups but I am gonna try it to see it if finds anything.


6 - I tried SFC I think and it didn't help anything.


7 -




Also everything was running smooth but firefox quantum came and then these freeze ups started happening. I am not totally sure if it is firefox. Could be comodo firewall too. And I haven't installed comodo this time. But I like comodo firewall cuz I like its security and instead I am stuck with windows firewall now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2018   #6
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi dfs4,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dfs4 View Post
5 - I haven't done chkdsk and I am gonna try it just now even though I just reinstalled and there has been no freeze ups but I am gonna try it to see it if finds anything.
So are you saying that your computer is running smoothly now without Comodo installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2018   #7
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP 64
 
 

It's very important that you do a check disk
Open a CMD window as admin and type chkdsk c: /f
It will say that the disk is in use and if you want to schedule to next boot = Yes

Another thing is the missing drivers. You must find and install all those with a yellow mark, specially:
- PCI simple communications controller.
- SM bus controller.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2018   #8
dfs4

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi dfs4,



So are you saying that your computer is running smoothly now without Comodo installed?



Not really. I installed comodo every time I reinstalled windows 7 except this time and it would run smoothly for a month or so and then start freezing up. So only a few days running smoothly without comodo is not telling much but I am gonna run the chkdsk and see, other than that not sure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2018   #9
dfs4

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Oh one thing more. When I would start into safe mode and disable everything from msconfig the comodo firewall still would start up and show in tray. So that was weird. But even in safe mode it would freeze up or I would uninstall comodo in safe mode but it would start up again in normal mode. There was some messed up weird stuff going on. But not sure cuz I can't remember 100% correctly. All I did was save the files to another partition and then do a reinstall from dvd.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2018   #10
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi dfs4,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dfs4 View Post
Oh one thing more. When I would start into safe mode and disable everything from msconfig the comodo firewall still would start up and show in tray. So that was weird.
That is probably because there is a setting in Comodo that is ticked that says Run at Startup!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Freeze




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Freeze Crash/Freeze Auto Restart r/t Hal.dll
Hey Admin, Only within the past week & a 1/2 that I have started to experience freeze crashes on the laptop. It usually only happens with online games/ YouTube/ or using MPC-HC for movies. I also use it for work and have to use Citrix. I updated my Flash player but still the freeze crashes...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows, apps freeze, resume, freeze, resume
System is AMD processor, 8 GB of RAM, Win 7 Ultimate, 32-bit, SP 1. (Cannot run a Windows Update and the update repair indicates a problem with doing an update.) Once booted, Windows itself, File Manager, other utilities, Word, other apps will all freeze every few minutes, then unfreeze after...
General Discussion
Mouse freeze - shut down freeze - BSOD
Hi! My not very technical brother bought a brand new ASUS G74S laptop a week ago. Two BSODs have occured since. First time: All we had done was changing the anti virus program in to avast! and installing all Windows updates. When my brother started Windows Media Player, it hanged during the...
BSOD Help and Support
Pc freeze during game then windows freeze at bootscreen
Hi friends, I was playing starcraft II today and for no reason my computer freezes up. After hitting the reset button it freezes up again at windows logo screen. Now im unable to boot any avg rescue, windows repair, recovery or installation always freezes up when loading files. Safe mode dont...
BSOD Help and Support
Freeze in Windows 7
Hi....just recently found this place and have been reading the forum threads etc, .......looks a great place. Hope I'm posting in the correct place. I hope someone can help with a problem I've been having with a new PC with Windows 7 The PC freezes about twice a day on average....
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:59.
Twitter Facebook