Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Random PC Freezing - no pattern

27 Dec 2018   #1
Buckalou

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Random PC Freezing - no pattern

I hope everyone had a great holiday! I'm having some freezing issues. With no warning or error messages or blue screens my PC just random freezes, everything stops working and I can't do anything at that point expect force shut down. I ran chk dsk and no issues came back and I also ran sfc /scannow and no issues came back. There is literally no pattern when this happens. I can be opening up a game, browsing the Internet, basically anything and I can't seem to replicate it or find a direct cause. Any help or additional troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2018   #2
MSClin

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, MX Linux 18.1 64-bit
 
 

Try disconnecting your CD/DVD drive from the motherboard and see if that fixes the problem. Also, if you have any other specific thing connected to the motherboard (like small monitor in the front of the case, etc.), disconnect it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2018   #3
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM19.1 MATE, W10 Home 1703, W10 Pro 1703 VM, #All 64 bit
 
 

Could be caused by the CPU overheating.

Do you have a program (like Speccy) that can tell you system information like the temperature?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2018   #4
Buckalou

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
Could be caused by the CPU overheating.

Do you have a program (like Speccy) that can tell you system information like the temperature?
No but would you recommend downloading it? What are average temperatures I should be looking out for? Also I thought that if CPU overheated rather than freezing it would just shut down. Is that not true?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2018   #5
Buckalou

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MSClin View Post
Try disconnecting your CD/DVD drive from the motherboard and see if that fixes the problem. Also, if you have any other specific thing connected to the motherboard (like small monitor in the front of the case, etc.), disconnect it.
Is that easy to do? I've never connected or disconnected anything from a motherboard. Also just wondering how could that potentially be causing a problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2018   #6
MSClin

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, MX Linux 18.1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Buckalou View Post
Is that easy to do? I've never connected or disconnected anything from a motherboard. Also just wondering how could that potentially be causing a problem?
Yes, it's as easy as connecting USB to your PC. Open your side panel of the case (2 screws holding it most of the times), disconnect the SATA and Molex cable for the CD/DVD drive, and that's it. Just be aware of ESD! You don't need to also remove the SATA cable from the motherboard, since we are just diagnosing from where's the problem. Any hardware can cause random problems, including the CD/DVD drive, and freezing problems are mostly related to drivers and hardware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2018   #7
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM19.1 MATE, W10 Home 1703, W10 Pro 1703 VM, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Buckalou View Post
No but would you recommend downloading it? What are average temperatures I should be looking out for? Also I thought that if CPU overheated rather than freezing it would just shut down. Is that not true?
There are various programs that can retrieve info from hardware sensors.
I have Speccy installed so I suggested that one.

Modern chips can run at much higher temperatures than in the "old days".
I used to work with electronics back in the '80s, so I get nervous if any temperatures get above 50 Celsius.

I misunderstood your 1st post.
Your machine probably would just shut down if the CPU was overheating.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2018   #8
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

Buckalou-

How frequently (real time) does this happen?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2018   #9
Buckalou

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
Buckalou-

How frequently (real time) does this happen?
Oh man it's super hard to say due to the complete randomness of it. This week so far it's happened twice. I think the week before it was maybe 1-2 times as well, before that I can't remember it happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2018   #10
Buckalou

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
There are various programs that can retrieve info from hardware sensors.
I have Speccy installed so I suggested that one.

Modern chips can run at much higher temperatures than in the "old days".
I used to work with electronics back in the '80s, so I get nervous if any temperatures get above 50 Celsius.

I misunderstood your 1st post.
Your machine probably would just shut down if the CPU was overheating.
No worries . Ya it's not shutting down just freezing and in turn I have to force shut down but it's not actually shutting my computer down. So sounds like overheating probably not the issue then?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Random PC Freezing - no pattern




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer freezing multiple times a day with no recognisable pattern.
Hello everyone, First of all, I know that this isn't a BSOD issue but I wasn't sure about where else to post this thread. Like the title says, my computer screen freezes with mouse movement and numlock / capslock activation until I ctrl+alt+del and then even those stop but the audio (if I was...
BSOD Help and Support
My pc has been randomly freezing periodically and follows no pattern.
For months now my pc has been subject to random crashes. I need to power down my pc every time this happens because it becomes unresponsive after this happens and I have no idea why. I've cleared the '%temp%' and the 'c:\windows\temp' folders already and I have my admin events in a compressed...
General Discussion
BSOD Random no possible pattern
Hi For a week or Two now i am Getting BSOD's all with Different error codes. i have upload the Zip File as per "BSOD - Posting Instructions" please help me.
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Random with no pattern
I have been struggling with BSOD since my PC was built. I have reinstalled from scratch but it still continues with no obvious pattern, often while the PC is idle and sometimes when shutting down. I use it mainly for media so it regularly happens in WMP as per the last two crashes in the logs. ...
BSOD Help and Support
Intermittent BSOD very random pattern
As you can see I've had quite a few in the last few weeks. All drivers are up to date using Driver Genius, EXCEPT the video driver. The latest caused most of the consecutive BSOD, and did not stop until I rolled back the driver. Now they come during browser based heavy flash use. I used a...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.
Twitter Facebook