Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Retrieve Data after A full Format

1 Week Ago   #11
farhaj

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

any more ideas...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
2 Days Ago   #12
farhaj

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I really Need to recover the FIles from Flash Drives, Apart from the Ease US recovery method, is their any other way out as well to recover the Data..?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Days Ago   #13
Marie SWE

2xWin8.1, 1xWin7HomeX64, 2xWin7Prox64, 1xWin2008R2server. 1xXP Pro, 1xWin 2k, 1x98SE,3.11 LinuxLMDE3
 
 

TestDisk is a wonderful tool.

Link: TestDisk - CGSecurity

step by step link: TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

If this one doesn't do the job,
then it may perhaps be impossible to recover the data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

2 Days Ago   #14
farhaj

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Marie SWE View Post
TestDisk is a wonderful tool.

Link: TestDisk - CGSecurity

step by step link: TestDisk Step By Step - CGSecurity

If this one doesn't do the job,
then it may perhaps be impossible to recover the data.
1) That is DOS Based... Is their a Windows Based version as well for it or not..?

2) why Do you say that it is impossible to retrieve data..? Do you mean to say that a format like that which was done on the drive, if done that; it's impossible to retrieve data...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Days Ago   #15
Marie SWE

2xWin8.1, 1xWin7HomeX64, 2xWin7Prox64, 1xWin2008R2server. 1xXP Pro, 1xWin 2k, 1x98SE,3.11 LinuxLMDE3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by farhaj View Post
1) That is DOS Based... Is their a Windows Based version as well for it or not..?

2) why Do you say that it is impossible to retrieve data..? Do you mean to say that a format like that which was done on the drive, if done that; it's impossible to retrieve data...
On your first question, no there is no graphical based version.

Two: Maybe the usb memory is security deleted because someone else had information on it and that person didn't want anyone to recover the data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Days Ago   #16
farhaj

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Marie SWE View Post
On your first question, no there is no graphical based version.

Two: Maybe the usb memory is security deleted because someone else had information on it and that person didn't want anyone to recover the data.
1) when you say security delted, what does that suppose to mean.. can you elaborate it little bit...
and these recovery specialists such as over here...
Can I recover data after a format?

2) they say they can retrieve data.. what parameters do they use for retrieving data..?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Day Ago   #17
Marie SWE

2xWin8.1, 1xWin7HomeX64, 2xWin7Prox64, 1xWin2008R2server. 1xXP Pro, 1xWin 2k, 1x98SE,3.11 LinuxLMDE3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by farhaj View Post
1) when you say security delted, what does that suppose to mean.. can you elaborate it little bit...
and these recovery specialists such as over here...
Can I recover data after a format?

2) they say they can retrieve data.. what parameters do they use for retrieving data..?

I'll try to explain it uncomplicated.

When you delete a file on a disk (hard drive, USB memory, SD card), only the visible file is deleted, but the file's data remains on the disk surface. Then you can use simple programs like Recuva to recover deleted files.
If you format a disk (hard drive, USB memory, SD card) then there are two standard choices. Fast formatting or slow formatting. At fast, only the visible is cleared just as when you delete a file. The information is still available and easily accessible. With a slow formatting, all sectors are overwritten with ones or zeros. It is now difficult to recover data. There are programs that can restore some data if you are lucky. Like testdisk, EaseUS and a few more
If you delete a partition it is the same here, the information remains as long as the new partition is not used. TestDisk can restore lost partitions.
When data is securely erased, the disk is written randomly with ones and zeros several times and then no program in the world that can recover the data.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
1 Day Ago   #18
farhaj

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Marie SWE View Post
I'll try to explain it uncomplicated.

When you delete a file on a disk (hard drive, USB memory, SD card), only the visible file is deleted, but the file's data remains on the disk surface. Then you can use simple programs like Recuva to recover deleted files.
If you format a disk (hard drive, USB memory, SD card) then there are two standard choices. Fast formatting or slow formatting. At fast, only the visible is cleared just as when you delete a file. The information is still available and easily accessible. With a slow formatting, all sectors are overwritten with ones or zeros. It is now difficult to recover data. There are programs that can restore some data if you are lucky. Like testdisk, EaseUS and a few more
If you delete a partition it is the same here, the information remains as long as the new partition is not used. TestDisk can restore lost partitions.
When data is securely erased, the disk is written randomly with ones and zeros several times and then no program in the world that can recover the data.

Thank you for writing the answer in detail...
I have a few queries here...
1) What is the way to find out that what type of format has been done on the drive..
2) you did not tell me your views about the specialists like the ones who shared the link..
3) what is meant by partiitons..? if partiotions are also formatted then what are the condtions of retrieving back the data.?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
1 Day Ago   #19
maxseven

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit 6.1 Build 7601 (SP1)
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Hours Ago   #20
Marie SWE

2xWin8.1, 1xWin7HomeX64, 2xWin7Prox64, 1xWin2008R2server. 1xXP Pro, 1xWin 2k, 1x98SE,3.11 LinuxLMDE3
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by farhaj View Post
Thank you for writing the answer in detail...
I have a few queries here...
1) What is the way to find out that what type of format has been done on the drive..
2) you did not tell me your views about the specialists like the ones who shared the link..
3) what is meant by partiitons..? if partiotions are also formatted then what are the condtions of retrieving back the data.?
1. If you find it difficult with linux-based and dos-based programs then it is no idea to even try to explain how you can see how they formatted the device. It's complicated.

2. No I did not talk about how any specific company is more or less competent, I'm not able to comment on that, as I don't know how they work or what tools they have.
I talked about how impossible it is to recreate data if it's securely deleted hard drives, usb memory, SD card and so on.
In a few years, they might come up with new tools/programs that can recreate any type of securely erased data.

3. To explain partitioning of different devices is a long explanation, so I refer to wikipedia Disk partitioning - Wikipedia
at the end, they explain Partition recovery
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Retrieve Data after A full Format




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
WD external HD changes from NTFS to RAW - how to retrieve data?
I have a Passport 4TB external HD. I have used this drive and several other WD external drives without incident for several years. Upon connecting it today, it asked me for my password - as it ordinarily does - but instead of showing up under My Computer as 'My Passport G:', it shows up as 'Local...
Backup and Restore
How to Retrieve Firefox Sync Data ?
Hi, I've synced my bookmarks and preferences with Firefox two weeks back. Now I've formatted my system and I want to get those bookmarks and preferences that I had added to firefox earlier. Please guide me to do it.. Thank U.. :)
Browsers & Mail
I'm trying to retrieve data from drive
Hi Brink, I just tried using this but is having problem with the take ownership option for the drive i was trying to retrieve data from. i'm able to see the option when i right click on other files on my desktop but couldn't see it when i right click on my external drive (a drive from my...
General Discussion
How to retrieve whole disk backup data.
My wifes computer needed to go and i did a whole disk backup as i thought that it was a regular image. Unfortunately it is not. I can mount the image file without a problem and i have access to some of the folders that were on the desktop. 95% of the data is locked inside the...
Backup and Restore
Preserving data: full format proposed..
I'm going to do a format soon, but I need some guidance on how to preserve my current Office data.. anyone know an easy way to retain the stuff, like contacts in Outlook and previous e-mails rec'd and sent, etc..? the format will be a severe one - everything will be wiped - and I mean...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:52.
Twitter Facebook