Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Retiring Windows 7 Anyone Else?

04 Dec 2009   #131
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
You know, even if you don't like it you'll have to accept it. Just as we are going to phase 32bit out soon, yes I said soon because I don't see a reason for it to be here too much longer.
Must be because you don't have anything significant that will not run on it. At my job, the systems admins need to VPN in to do their job. We use a checkpoint firewall, and it doesn't support 64-bit operating systems. Therefore, no VPN support if you run it.
And for those who suggest using a 32-bit virtual machine...the problem is that once you do get VPN'd into the system this way...all of the tools and such which you need to run to do your job are native on the host and not the VM where you are actually VPN'd in.

So, in our environment...64-bit is not a viable option.
Have you tried "Secure Q-Pak" from Jolly Giant Software. I had to VPN into work with an x64 Vista system at home. I was able to get a x64 client, that worked with a Cisco VPN system, from this company. You might have to do a little research with your network admins but it is an option.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Dec 2009   #132
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
I'm about to retire it for the sole reason that I've been posting on 3 separate forums with about 6 different threads trying to figure out why I have terrible video playback (video quality terrible on videos known to have great quality in XP) and image resolution (terribly pixelated/blocky when you zoom in at all on any picture) issues to absolutely no avail. Not one suggestion has worked, to include latest/oldest possible video drivers for my 8600GTS, Shark007's codec packs, different configurations of the codec pack, complete clean re-install of known good ISO of Win7Pro x64 RTM... nothing works. It's terribly sad that something that would seem relatively easy to fix, or at least identify, persists to the point of making me not even want to use Win7 at all due to no viable answers after 3 months of questioning something that is obviously inherently awry in the system.

/(rant|Win7)
Hmm, that is really unfortunate. It must have something to do with the 8600GTS and the driver. With my 9500GT I have no problems at all. Videos work as they do on Vista.
I am currently using an 8600gt with Win7 Home Premium x64 install on my HTPC and it works just fine. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers, in my case 191.07 for x64 Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #133
Gornot

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

The only reason I use a dual-boot between Windows XP and Windows 7 is for some older games that simply don't work on Windows 7.
Gaming in XP, everything else in Windows 7. End of (my) story.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Dec 2009   #134
FliGi7

XP / Win7 x64 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobtran View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FliGi7 View Post
I'm about to retire it for the sole reason that I've been posting on 3 separate forums with about 6 different threads trying to figure out why I have terrible video playback (video quality terrible on videos known to have great quality in XP) and image resolution (terribly pixelated/blocky when you zoom in at all on any picture) issues to absolutely no avail. Not one suggestion has worked, to include latest/oldest possible video drivers for my 8600GTS, Shark007's codec packs, different configurations of the codec pack, complete clean re-install of known good ISO of Win7Pro x64 RTM... nothing works. It's terribly sad that something that would seem relatively easy to fix, or at least identify, persists to the point of making me not even want to use Win7 at all due to no viable answers after 3 months of questioning something that is obviously inherently awry in the system.

/(rant|Win7)
Hmm, that is really unfortunate. It must have something to do with the 8600GTS and the driver. With my 9500GT I have no problems at all. Videos work as they do on Vista.
I am currently using an 8600gt with Win7 Home Premium x64 install on my HTPC and it works just fine. I am using the latest Nvidia drivers, in my case 191.07 for x64 Windows 7.
From the countless threads I've seen, it's not just an NVIDIA issue as people with ATI cards are seeing it as well. However, no one can narrow it down to what is actually causing it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #135
AntiSilence

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sopolias Falst View Post
The only reason I use a dual-boot between Windows XP and Windows 7 is for some older games that simply don't work on Windows 7.
Gaming in XP, everything else in Windows 7. End of (my) story.
The oldest game I've installed is Unreal Tournament 2004 and that's running fine under 7 x64. So is Doom 3 with the latest patch.

I have got Call of Duty 1 and Medal of Honor/Spearhead/Breakthrough but not installing them lol. A bit too old, even for me to play these days lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #136
veii

7 Ultimate 32Bit / Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit / 9.10 64Bit
 
 

I've retired Windows 7 on my ultra-portable laptop in favour of Ubuntu because I need better wireless performance with my "n" card and better battery life. (Also you can't exactly game on a 12.1" WXGA with an Intel 4500M!)

But the only reasons I can think of why I would retire it on my desktop are:

1. If it gave me ANY problems whatsoever over "Activation" on MY computer, with MY legally bought Win 7 Ultimate.

2. If I stop gaming (or go back to XBox360 ) because then I won't have any need/use for Windows.

3. If I get fed up of the non-free, closed and proprietary nature of the OS and the limitations that that brings.

4. If I get any nasty viruses despite using anti-virus software, 2 anti-spyware apps. and a standard user account, with a really strong password on the root account. (Not likely, I know.)

Mark.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #137
dave1812

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by veii View Post
I've retired Windows 7 on my ultra-portable laptop in favour of Ubuntu because I need better wireless performance with my "n" card and better battery life. (Also you can't exactly game on a 12.1" WXGA with an Intel 4500M!)

But the only reasons I can think of why I would retire it on my desktop are:

1. If it gave me ANY problems whatsoever over "Activation" on MY computer, with MY legally bought Win 7 Ultimate.

2. If I stop gaming (or go back to XBox360 ) because then I won't have any need/use for Windows.

3. If I get fed up of the non-free, closed and proprietary nature of the OS and the limitations that that brings.

4. If I get any nasty viruses despite using anti-virus software, 2 anti-spyware apps. and a standard user account, with a really strong password on the root account. (Not likely, I know.)

Mark.
Why would you presuppose you'd have issues activating it?? I did 5 installs and nary an issue.

Limitations? Like access to the preponderance of software for the vast majority of users??

Viruses? Sheesh, I've been using PC's since 1985, have 5 going between my wife and I, online all the time, and NO VIRUSES. Virus talk reminds me of the crap that Apple lovers bring up, to defend their choice in hardware. IF you have a decent virus program (many are FREE), you shouldn't be kept up nights worrying about problems that won't occur. Or are you visiting clandestine sites??? LOL! There are some corners of the 'net that deservedly provide all the viruses you'll ever "need".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #138
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dave1812 View Post
LOL! There are some corners of the 'net that deservedly provide all the viruses you'll ever "need".
STD's

Never download the player as it's loaded with clap!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #139
antt

Windows 7 build 7100 x86
 
 

better battery life on ubuntu? My eeepc lasts an hour less (total maybe 1.45-2 hours) on ubuntu than it does on windows. IMO windows has far superior power management.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #140
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by antt View Post
better battery life on ubuntu? My eeepc lasts an hour less (total maybe 1.45-2 hours) on ubuntu than it does on windows. IMO windows has far superior power management.

Depends if you set it up right, I've herd it go either way. =S
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Retiring Windows 7 Anyone Else?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Why retiring Steve Ballmer deserves more credit than gets
Read more at: Why the retiring Steve Ballmer deserves more credit than he's getting | ZDNet
News
Steve Ballmer Retiring in a Year
Steve Ballmer has made it official that he will be retiring in (12) months. Microsoft has not named it's successor, yet ! (Article)
News
Google retiring Chrome Frame plugin for old IE
Read more at: http://www.zdnet.com/google-retiring-chrome-frame-plugin-for-old-ie-7000016843/
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:54.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App