Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Retiring Windows 7 Anyone Else?

28 Nov 2009   #11
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Well we both got parts of the thread covered! lolz I don't ghost anything, as it only takes 20 min to install I usually just do it when I sleep. =P And as far as installing programs, it never bothers me I've got patience. lolz


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Nov 2009   #12
GEWB

Linux (Mint is primary) / XP, Win7 Home / Win7 Pro, Ultimate / Win8.1 / Win10 archived VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post

[edit] I know this is true because I dual boot with Linux, though because of my distrust for MS I always detach the drives I don't want windows on, I never trust MS. NEVER!
I too learned that lesson (the hard way) many years ago. My multi-boot systems has a couple HDs and I use the BIOS boot HD selector to control which is the primary boot drive. When I loaded Win7, I unplugged my "personal" drive (Linux and XP), loaded a "work" installation of XP, dual booted it with Win7, then reconnected the other Linux/XP drive.

Now when I want to use my "personal" version of XP or my Linux every-day-use installation I make that drive primary at bootup.

Regards,
GEWB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #13
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
I want ease of use, familiarity, dependablity.....
But didn't you say you were running Vista and it was solid. Ease of use and familiarity between Vista and 7 are just about the same..in my opinion.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
Seven is about (in my estimate) a year away from proper driver support and technical fixes.
Guess it's really dependent upon your hardware because almost everything on my box at home, my laptop and my test lab machines have worked pretty much flawlessly with 7.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
Even Linux distros aren't as pervasive.
What Linux versions have you used that you found "pervasive"?? That doesn't seem to be my experience with the distros that I use (CentOS, Fedora, or Ubuntu)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
I have eight computers in use at my house. One with Vista running solid. Seven with XP Pro running solid.
Seems that if you already have 7 computers running XP...I cannot really see what you would want another one. I'd really want to mix things up a bit.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
Honestly they will receive no benefit from upgrading. We're talking people who surf the web, face book, email... I tell them to wait till it's time for them to buy a new computer and it will be preloaded with 7. What on earth is the sense for them to spend $150.00+ for a new OS on old hardware that will most likely be problematic because of the hardware?????
I guess the question would really depend upon what hardware they had and what version of Windows they were coming from. I'd say there are plenty of advantages to 7 over XP for home users. #1). system image backup #2). Aero features like snap. #3). jumplists #4) Security features like not running as an admin.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Xzaviar View Post
But I would like to know if there are any others out there that have gone back to a previous version of Windows after using 7 for a while and what your reasons are.
I left Windows XP on my old machine because it's nothing special. AMD 4600+, 4GB of RAM, Nvidia 7600 GT.

I plan to leave Vista on my wife's laptop because it runs fine, I'm licensed for it and I have the recovery/restore system tools that came from HP which make it a breeze to reset back to the day it was new. My wife has no use for any of the functions of Windows 7.

For my primary rig, well, I built that in July around Windows 7 64-bit. That's what is on there now and I have no intention of moving back to Vista or XP.

And I do have multiple drives on my box. SSD system drive and 1TB storage drive and I haven't noticed Windows 7 doing anything strange with my multiple drives.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2009   #14
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I guess the question would really depend upon what hardware they had and what version of Windows they were coming from. I'd say there are plenty of advantages to 7 over XP for home users. #1). system image backup #2). Aero features like snap. #3). jumplists #4) Security features like not running as an admin.
Done forget Homegroups. I had to setup a home network (file and printer sharing) at someones house yesterday on XP. Took me 3 hours longer than it should have because XP was stupid. Seven made that SO much easier.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #15
Mercurial

Windows 7 32bit RTM
 
 

one of the unlucky people... how sad ;(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #16
harpua

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

Hell no. I love 7 and XP by comparison feels archaic and antiquated to me now. I have absolutely no reason or need to go back into the past with my computing. Everything I want to use or run works flawlessly with W7 x64.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #17
Lordbob75

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Mint 9
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harpua View Post
Hell no. I love 7 and XP by comparison feels archaic and antiquated to me now. I have absolutely no reason or need to go back into the past with my computing. Everything I want to use or run works flawlessly with W7 x64.
Exactly how I feel.

I had to work on some XP computers yesterday (setting up sharing) and it just felt old and archaic and hard to use. I also had to jump through extra hoops to set it up. Seven is so much easier.

~Lordbob
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #18
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lordbob75 View Post
Done forget Homegroups. I had to setup a home network (file and printer sharing) at someones house yesterday on XP. Took me 3 hours longer than it should have because XP was stupid. Seven made that SO much easier.

~Lordbob
I didn't mention it because it's something that I don't use. With Vista and XP machines as well as Linux hosts on my network...I'd just rather do networking the old fashioned way. But then again, that is what I do for a living as well...so that kinda makes sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #19
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

While we are at it lets install 95 and 32MB of RAM and a copy of Wolfenstein 3D.

I would never go back to any previous Windows OS unless I had no choice - I'm still looking for some card reader drivers but I'm 99% per cent sure that SP1 will fix the majority of issues. XP? Dead Vista? Obsolete 7? Good enough until 8 comes along.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Nov 2009   #20
gregrocker

 

I know how you feel.

I once had a great Dodge Dart. Now all I got is my surfboard and a sportscar.

That Dart could kick sportscar butt, and man would the Betty's swoon.

So now when I want to drive my trusty old Dart, I fire up the XP and take it for a spin.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Retiring Windows 7 Anyone Else?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Why retiring Steve Ballmer deserves more credit than gets
Read more at: Why the retiring Steve Ballmer deserves more credit than he's getting | ZDNet
News
Steve Ballmer Retiring in a Year
Steve Ballmer has made it official that he will be retiring in (12) months. Microsoft has not named it's successor, yet ! (Article)
News
Google retiring Chrome Frame plugin for old IE
Read more at: http://www.zdnet.com/google-retiring-chrome-frame-plugin-for-old-ie-7000016843/
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App